ryanmah

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
Is the Allendale processor a Conroe with 2MB? Or is it really a NEW processor coming out 2007 with NATIVE 2MB cache?

Retailers are listing Allendales already (E6300, E6400). Is this correct?

G

Yep apparently there's been some confusion, especially since CPUZ label the conroe with 2 meg as Allendale.

In fact the Allendale are Native 2 meg parts, this will help Intel improve yield and make more CPU/wafer all that will lower the cost and increase the revenues =)

G

Well not really, most people tend to agree with that, but there's so much misconception that there's no valid link I guess...

Well JumpingJack has the same answer wich means I'm right 8)

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
ok so what is the difference between the current 2mb conroe and the 2mb allendale? They are both shared caches. What is this talk about native? whats that?

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
nm. read the article all the way and figured it out. You guys buy that the current ones aren't native though? I had heard they were. thats why they're so cheap.

ryanmah

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
ok so what is the difference between the current 2mb conroe and the 2mb allendale? They are both shared caches. What is this talk about native? whats that?

Currently, the entire Conroe (Core2Duo) has 4MB cache. However, the E6300 and E6400 has 2 of the 4MB cache disabled. As a result they have 2MB cache, but it's not native.

Native means it was made with 2MB to begin with ie the Allendales coming out in 2007. They only have 2MB and it's limit is 2MB, no more, but potentially can be less.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Is the Allendale processor a Conroe with 2MB? Or is it really a NEW processor coming out 2007 with NATIVE 2MB cache?

The "Conroe" has 4 MB cache and the "Allendale" has 2 MB. They're both Core 2 Duo models.

The Allendale is an awesome processor. You won't be disappointed if you happen to buy one! 50 - 60% overclocks are common, if that's your thing. Even the stock CPU performs well, offering performance that cost upwards of $1000 last year.

ryanmah

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005

The "Conroe" has 4 MB cache and the "Allendale" has 2 MB. They're both Core 2 Duo models.

The Allendale is an awesome processor. You won't be disappointed if you happen to buy one! 50 - 60% overclocks are common, if that's your thing. Even the stock CPU performs well, offering performance that cost upwards of $1000 last year.

There are many articles on the net saying Allendale is a totally new processor coming out in 2007. Yes, it's a Core2Duo with 2MB cache, but it's NOT the current E6300 and E6400's with 2MB cache.

ryanmah

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
I will make a stupid question. The disabled 2Mb can be enabled or they are laser cut or something like that ?

I would think Intel disabled it via hardware, to prevent hackers from enabling it somehow with software. I could be wrong, since pipelines on videocards can somehow be enabled.

G

Nope, no way to enable it and most of the time part of this 2meg is defective anyway, they get rejected and rebagged as 2 megs part...

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
There are many articles on the net saying Allendale is a totally new processor coming out in 2007. Yes, it's a Core2Duo with 2MB cache, but it's NOT the current E6300 and E6400's with 2MB cache.

Actually, the 2MB are in fact, Allendales. Wusy is correct - the "new" CPU will probably be given another name. Every utility that I use - Everest, CPU-Z, etc identifies my CPU as an Allendale.

ryanmah

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005

Actually, the 2MB are in fact, Allendales. Wusy is correct - the "new" CPU will probably be given another name. Every utility that I use - Everest, CPU-Z, etc identifies my CPU as an Allendale.

Someone please show me an Intel press release or official Intel document and put this confusion to rest.

G

You will get one Q1 2007! When they actually release some allendales, they will have a press release. They dont need one because not even 1% of the people using computer know what the hell allendale is suppose to be so the marketing folks dont need to clarify this :)

If you do a allendale search on intel web site
Google: allendale site:www.intel.com, or directly on the Intel web site, nothing comes up. Wich usually means nothing with that actual name has been released yet...

Good point that they might use another code name altogether to avoid confusion though

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Someone please show me an Intel press release or official Intel document and put this confusion to rest.

I see where you're coming from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#Allendale

My confusion arises from the fact that CPU-Z reports the codename of my E6400 as "Allendale". I guess that it's just as likely that some programmer put that string in there versus the program actually reading some microcode or something from the CPU itself.

Can wikipedia be taken as gospel or should I have a healthy skepticism about what I read there?

ryanmah

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005

I see where you're coming from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#Allendale

My confusion arises from the fact that CPU-Z reports the codename of my E6400 as "Allendale". I guess that it's just as likely that some programmer put that string in there versus the program actually reading some microcode or something from the CPU itself.

Can wikipedia be taken as gospel or should I have a healthy skepticism about what I read there?

Wikipedia shouldn't be taken as gospel, since it's written by unknown sources. However, it's a good website to get quick information that's relatively reliable.

Regarding the Allendale confusion, Wikipedia's explanation should be taken with a grain of salt, since Wikipedia isn't 100% reliable. It's edited by people like you and I who scour the net for articles.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Lots of people have questions about the Core 2 Duo processors.

In addition to the question that you have raised, people want to know (myself included) if the temperature that Intel defines as the thermal limit for these CPUs (61C) should be taken from the motherboard sensor or the digital sensor belonging to the processor itself. The 10 degree difference is pretty huge, given that aftermarket coolers, popular with overclockers, don't always make a 10 degree difference.

Maybe an Intel engineer will jump into the fray and settle these questions once and for all. :)

ryanmah

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
Lots of people have questions about the Core 2 Duo processors.

In addition to the question that you have raised, people want to know (myself included) if the temperature that Intel defines as the thermal limit for these CPUs (61C) should be taken from the motherboard sensor or the digital sensor belonging to the processor itself. The 10 degree difference is pretty huge, given that aftermarket coolers, popular with overclockers, don't always make a 10 degree difference.

Maybe an Intel engineer will jump into the fray and settle these questions once and for all. :)

Yes! Perhaps Intel can shed some light on the Allendale naming convention. There's no mention of it ANYWHERE on their website! (after a search)