Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Case Airflow Advice

Last response: in Components
July 26, 2012 12:15:43 AM

Hey everyone,

I have a Cooler Master HAF XM case and I was wondering what advice you would give as far as airflow through the system. (eg. Front - air into case, Top - air out of case, etc.)

There is a 200mm fan on the front, 200mm fan on top, and a 140mm on the back. I can add another 200mm on top and a 200mm on the side of the case. Cooler Master HAF XM Cooling

I'll only be running one EVGA 670 FTW and i5-3570k with Hyper 212 Evo.

More about : case airflow advice

a c 164 ) Power supply
July 26, 2012 12:29:06 AM

front and side - intake
top and rear - exhaust

frankly the stock fans in your case provide plenty of airflow and the extra fans added may do more harm in interrupting airflow then helping in cooling
a c 667 ) Power supply
July 26, 2012 12:30:46 AM

Front in, top and back out. It is not necessary to add a side fan but if you do it goes in.
Related resources
July 26, 2012 1:50:35 AM

rolli59 said:
Front in, top and back out. It is not necessary to add a side fan but if you do it goes in.

I was told that front in and then side, top, back all out.... I didn't notice a difference in temperature when I switched it from pulling in to pushing out.

Best solution

a c 667 ) Power supply
July 26, 2012 1:59:10 AM

bobusboy said:
I was told that front in and then side, top, back all out.... I didn't notice a difference in temperature when I switched it from pulling in to pushing out.

The side fan if pulling out will rob GPU and CPU of fresh air from the front. Couple of good reads http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...
July 26, 2012 2:05:16 AM

you have a CM HAF case. what more do you want?? that thing was built for air flow. imo the stock fans are good enough
July 27, 2012 3:38:58 AM

What do you guys advise on the orientation of the CPU cooler?

Fan blowing towards the back of the system or blowing up through the top?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
July 27, 2012 3:46:22 AM

anything above the top of the cpu goes OUT
anything below the top of the cpu comes IN.

the heatsink direction is usually to towards the back but it there are fans on top then either direction works.
July 27, 2012 6:35:49 AM

Did a little research and it seems that, for the Hyper 212 EVO, I would need to mount it horizontally, with the fan blowing out the top. The fan is a sleeve bearing and according to Anatomy of Computer Fans, sleeve bearings wear out faster if the fan is mounted vertically, with the fan blowing out the back.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I really appreciate it!
July 27, 2012 8:17:11 PM

Best answer selected by phych.
!