Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build crashes and restarts when playing MMO's only

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2012 10:55:39 PM

Having a strange issue. I can play single player games like Civ V to my heart's content. However when I play an MMO ( happened with SWTOR and WOW) my computer crashes completely and restarts. It happens at different times, not always like 5 minutes in. It could be 10 minutes in or I could play for an hour and a half. Will put my specs below, any help would be appreciated because I really am out of ideas. Thanks (Also core and graphics temperatures have always been in the stable range)

INTEL DP43BF MoBo
Pentium Dual Core E5700
Nvidia GTX 550ti
8GB DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
650W PSU
April 13, 2012 1:52:13 AM

It might be a CPU problem, or possibly have to do with your internet... are you using ethernet? Try diagnosing that... it might be a driver problem. Does this happen when you're web browsing?

Also, it may be a CPU problem... it may not be able to handle multiplayer MMO... I know that MMO games are CPU intensive (then again, so is Civ V), but even more so because they're on multiplayer. Apart from that, it seems like a driver problem. Google the problem along with your GPU and driver version, or try updating the driver.
m
l
April 13, 2012 3:29:09 AM

also check that the memory is ok for that mb. some time you may have a bad stick of ram. try taking 1/2 of the ram out and see if the pc crashes.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2012 1:54:31 AM

Tried using just one of the memory sticks and WOW crashed on both tries. If I overclock my CPU could that solve the issue? Have never tried overclocking anything.
m
l
April 14, 2012 2:43:07 AM

No, I think it's a problem with one of your memory sticks. Send it in for an RMA (although I'm not sure... could you verify, smorizio?). Overclocking most likely won't solve the problem. Try speaking to customer support at the retailer you bought it from, or call around the manufacturers' customer support and ask if their product could be causing the problem.
m
l
April 14, 2012 2:54:11 AM

Ok not sure if this matters or not, but should I have both sticks in channel a of my mobo or one in channel a and one in channel b.
If so should I put them both in DIMM 0 or DIMM1?
m
l
April 14, 2012 3:21:36 AM

Check the manual... it should tell you exactly where to put it.
m
l
April 14, 2012 3:39:29 AM

It could also be you're PSU it happened to me where I had a bad one replaced it and it worked :p 
m
l
April 14, 2012 5:54:44 AM

Hmm.... the PSU would cause it to shut down when the power output was changed, and it's not like MMOs really target anything with power that other games don't... PSUs will shut down because they detect an error (or a problem) somewhere in the power scheme... it's a protective measure to avoid shorting out your system. I don't think that's the problem, but you could always check :) 
m
l
April 15, 2012 3:53:33 AM

My gut has always been that it is the PSU, I was wrong in stating it was 650W, its actually 575W
Looked up the suggested PSU specs for the GTX 550ti, said something about Continuous Current Rating of 24 amps or greater, can't find that spec anywhere for my PSU, could be that I don't know what I am looking for. Below is the Newegg link to the PSU I purchased.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:02:28 AM

it was under spec for that power supply it has one 12v rail rated at 25 amps.
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:39:12 AM

Updated my wireless network card driver and played for about an hour before in crashed. Is it possible for my wireless internet card to cause my computer to completely crash and restart?? It is a pretty old one, from another computer. Wireless G adapter connecting to a Wireless N router. Just thinking out loud. Did try using just one memory stick and it crashed as well, tried each stick separately. Bout at my wits end with this thing....
m
l

Best solution

April 15, 2012 10:36:58 AM

i think it the power supply when it loaded and stressed it not sending clean dc power to your mb..a good power supply when stressed or under load should not send what called an ac ripple to the pc. this ripple can cause the mb to hang or reboot.
April 15, 2012 1:22:27 PM

Oh. Well then. I stand corrected. In fact, if you put the brand of the PSU, I'll bet we could have seen this coming... >.>
m
l
April 15, 2012 1:28:03 PM

Ok so then theres a good chance that the PSU is my problem? Could one of you suggest a good PSU for me to get so I no longer have this issue. Also thank you so much for helping me through all of this.
m
l
April 15, 2012 1:39:40 PM

Corsair is nice. Really nice. But I can almost guarantee that the $110 ($90 after rebates) PC power and Cooling Silencer MK II 750W Silver-rated is the best deal. The line doesn't go any lower than 750W (although the modular ones do... but they're not silver-rated anymore, so you might as well get Corsair if you want modular).
m
l
April 15, 2012 1:52:59 PM

It looks fine. If you're okay with the lights.
m
l
April 16, 2012 12:22:04 AM

Best answer selected by wever1087.
m
l
April 16, 2012 12:22:42 AM

Just got done playing WoW for aobout 3 hours with no crash after installing a new PSU, thank you so much for the help!
m
l
April 16, 2012 12:40:56 AM

Er... no problem? :)  (I know I said it wasn't the PSU...)
m
l
April 16, 2012 12:42:09 AM

I was right!!! WOOO :) 
m
l
February 16, 2013 10:10:23 PM

Hi there. I am having the exactly same thing, however i am using a notebook, do you think it could be the power plug or the battery? Or probably a component inside the notebook?
m
l
!