Sign in with
Your question

My laptop doesn't turn on after replacing the power button! :(

Last response: in Components
July 26, 2012 1:38:46 AM

My Dell Studio laptop broke a little over a year ago when the jumper cable for the power on it snapped. This wasn't a huge deal to me since I was able to recover all of my data that I needed from it and I have my desktop that I can use, so I never really got around to fixing it until now so it hasn't been used in over a year.
I just replaced the power button and it isn't turning on. I'm pretty certain I didn't do anything wrong as far as that goes.
I also noticed that after I plug in the DC adapter (without the battery inserted), the white LED light by the jack briefly lights up (for about a second), then the LED turns off. After plugging in the DC adapter with the battery inserted, the white LED lights up, then the orange LED lights up instead, then the LED turns off.
Nobody should ever be this upset and frustrated and I seriously need help on what I should do. I'm really hoping that it's something that's going to be costly/expensive.

Your responses will be appreciated :) 
a b ) Power supply
July 26, 2012 7:43:15 AM

Does it switch on when its only on battery power or is the battery dead (run out of power)?
a b ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2012 1:20:29 AM

after a year without charging I assume the battery is totally drained. Do you know someone with the same model dell whom you might be able to try their battery in yours and your battery in theirs?
Related resources
July 27, 2012 8:46:50 AM

jay_nar2012 said:
Does it switch on when its only on battery power or is the battery dead (run out of power)?

It does not switch on at all. The only thing that I can think of is the DC power jack or the motherboard being toast.
July 27, 2012 8:47:31 AM

popatim said:
after a year without charging I assume the battery is totally drained. Do you know someone with the same model dell whom you might be able to try their battery in yours and your battery in theirs?

The battery is brand new. Even if the battery was drained, the laptop would still power on with it being plugged in.
a b ) Power supply
July 27, 2012 8:50:55 AM

Or your charger could be damaged.
July 27, 2012 7:22:31 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Or your charger could be damaged.

Nope. I used a volt meter and it's giving me 19.5 volts :( 
a b ) Power supply
July 27, 2012 7:24:55 PM

Then i think theres something wrong with the laptop, if you plug in the charger and you move it about does the led stay on or is it the same.
July 28, 2012 1:09:55 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Then i think theres something wrong with the laptop, if you plug in the charger and you move it about does the led stay on or is it the same.

Even if I wiggle it around the LED remains unlit.
!