Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Recent Build - Won't Power On

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 12, 2012 11:08:16 PM

I built this system about 2-3 months ago. Everything was working great until about 2 weeks ago when my wife called me from home and told me the computer wouldn't turn on. After work I came home and examined the computer and found that I couldn't turn on the PC at all, even if I bipased the case power button and pushed the power button that is soldered on the motherboard. The curious thing is that the motherboard is receiving power because the power/reset buttons are glowing. I called the mobo mfg (Asus) and received a new mobo in the mail which I have just installed and I'm having the same problem. Power button is glowing as if the mobo is receiving power, but when i push the button I get nothing. No post, no fan spins, no leds....nothing.

I'm kind of stumped. My only remaining guess is that the issue is with the power supply.

Please take a look at my system specs and let me know what you think...

Thanks


Adam
Mobo - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
Mem - 8gb corsair vengeance
Graphics - EVGA GTX570 HD
Power Supply - Corsair TX650M
SSD - OCZ 64GB

More about : recent build power

Best solution

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 11:12:32 PM

Could be a bad PSU. You could try doing an advanced exchange with Corsair, they're pretty good about it. The CPU could be dead too.

Thats what I'd check first anyhow. I'd say check all your connections, but since you swapped boards, that should already have been done.
Share
April 12, 2012 11:41:58 PM

I completely agree with ^^^^ ( nekulturny ). Definitely check your CPU and your power supply. However, I lean more toward the fact that it is a CPU problem, as if your board lights up, there is at least some power flowing through the power supply.

There could still be a problem with one of the power supply's rails, as for some reason, certain batches of the Corsair power supplies recently have been hit or miss when it comes to reliability. They seem to fail right in your spectrum - 2-3 months. I believe Corsair had a batch that had defective rails. Do a Google search to find out more.

A plus side - if its your PSU, Corsair has been known ( with these recent batches ) to accept an RMA of the PSU, and usually they pay both-way shipping.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 12:07:49 AM

I tried the "paper clip test" that corsair suggested on their website and it seems like the power supply is in fact the issue. Called them up and they agreed so now I'm waiting for their customer service department to contact me....this seems really inefficient.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 12:08:03 AM

Best answer selected by acshaw80.
m
0
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2012 12:17:18 AM

acshaw80 said:
I tried the "paper clip test" that corsair suggested on their website and it seems like the power supply is in fact the issue. Called them up and they agreed so now I'm waiting for their customer service department to contact me....this seems really inefficient.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.



Odd.. I called Corsair up on two occasions for RMA's both times they had it taken care of for me in less than 15 minutes.. 10 minutes of it was being on hold.
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 1:54:28 PM

The tech support guy was very helpful, but he told me that he thinks customer service is going to make me pay to ship the defective unit back to them. He transferred me to customer service and it went straight to.....voicemail? I'm guessing customer service had gone home for the day so I'm waiting to hear back from them today. Honestly, this unit is literally 2 months old...if they make me pay to ship the unit back I'm going to have a fit. Where is the logic in that? At any rate, at least I'm not dealing with Asus' customer service anymore. Worst I've ever had to deal with.
m
0
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2012 2:07:55 PM

acshaw80 said:
The tech support guy was very helpful, but he told me that he thinks customer service is going to make me pay to ship the defective unit back to them. He transferred me to customer service and it went straight to.....voicemail? I'm guessing customer service had gone home for the day so I'm waiting to hear back from them today. Honestly, this unit is literally 2 months old...if they make me pay to ship the unit back I'm going to have a fit. Where is the logic in that? At any rate, at least I'm not dealing with Asus' customer service anymore. Worst I've ever had to deal with.



That is their policy, and the policy of most companies I've dealt with. You pay to ship it back to them, and they pay to send the new one to you. Costs about 16 bucks to ship a PSU UPS Ground.

At least its not Acer, those jerks made me pay shipping both ways a couple years back, and I had to send that hunk of crap laptop to 'em twice in the first 3 months of owning it.
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 3:52:08 PM

nekulturny said:
That is their policy, and the policy of most companies I've dealt with. You pay to ship it back to them, and they pay to send the new one to you. Costs about 16 bucks to ship a PSU UPS Ground.

At least its not Acer, those jerks made me pay shipping both ways a couple years back, and I had to send that hunk of crap laptop to 'em twice in the first 3 months of owning it.


***start rant***

I argued and told them the policy was complete crap, but in the end they are making me pay to ship their defective PSU back to them. All I can do is write a nasty letter complaining about this absurd policy. I don't care if they are just following industry standard, as consumers we should demand better service. By forcing us to pay to ship defective products, they are essentially telling us that we have some culpability and we should pay for a portion of their inability to produce a product that is free of defects. Really unbelievable.

***end rant***
m
0
l
!