Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My build that I just finished - Need opinions

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2012 11:33:23 PM

Just wanted an opinion or two on my new *budget* small form factor gaming rig.

Case: ThermalTake Armor A30 - $100

MB: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 mATX Gaming Board (all the bells and whistles in mATX) - $180

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k @Stock Speeds and Cooler - $180

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti - $79 ( Newegg Shell Shocker - Ends tonight! )

PSU: ThermalTake TR2 RX 750 Watt Modular Power Supply - $80

SSD: OCZ Agility III 60GB (OS and BF3) - $60

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 640GB (Media and Misc.) - $75

DVD/CD: Asus 24x DVD Burner w/ Dual Layer Support - $30

Totals: ~$784

Was that a good deal? Did I cut and expand in the right places? I hope I did.

If you guys want links to any of the items listed above, just post telling me what you want links to.

Thanks,

Josheyman123
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2012 11:58:27 PM

I think you should get a better GPU, and the motherboard may be a bit overkill. Maybe a better PSU.
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:35:08 AM

A better GPU is out of my price range. Just got through taxes, all extra is going towards gold or some worthy investment. The motherboard, is it really overkill? I thought that maybe going with that beefy motherboard would allow for some fancy overclocking and future-proofing. It has PCI-E 3.0 and also has USB3 along with support for Ivy Bridge.

When I upgrade to Ivy Bridge, I'll be going with a better GPU, prolly a GTX 670 or whatever they call it, and then I can use the PCI-E 3 controller in the Ivy Bridge to fully utilize the 670.

Do you really think I need a better PSU? I'm just wondering because it's one of the only modular, high-performance PSU's that have a total add-up of all the rails to nearly 750 watts.

Plus, it's cheaper than any Corsair or Cooler Master in its category.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 12:35:58 AM

Though I may have seemed a bit defensive, thanks for the opinion. I'm glad you posted.
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2012 12:47:20 AM

80 bucks for a 550 ti? really? Thats a heck of a deal, but take it from me as an owner of one. Its decent, but there are better ones out there. But for 80 bucks, like I said.. that might be a good idea to snatch one up.

The mobo is indeed overkill. But I have no room to talk with a 180 dollar board myself but this is just as good for less http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:50:28 AM

Josheyman123 said:
A better GPU is out of my price range. Just got through taxes, all extra is going towards gold or some worthy investment. The motherboard, is it really overkill? I thought that maybe going with that beefy motherboard would allow for some fancy overclocking and future-proofing. It has PCI-E 3.0 and also has USB3 along with support for Ivy Bridge.

When I upgrade to Ivy Bridge, I'll be going with a better GPU, prolly a GTX 670 or whatever they call it, and then I can use the PCI-E 3 controller in the Ivy Bridge to fully utilize the 670.

Do you really think I need a better PSU? I'm just wondering because it's one of the only modular, high-performance PSU's that have a total add-up of all the rails to nearly 750 watts.

Plus, it's cheaper than any Corsair or Cooler Master in its category.

Yea but, most CoolerMaster PSUs are garbage lol. 750 watts is enough for SLi'd video cards, even powerful ones like a GTX 580. I honestly don't see the point in modular PSUs, unless you have a clear case that you want to show off the internals, or a really tiny one but thats your call. Id stick a Corsair TX V2 non-modular and call it a day. But I have a huge NZXT Phantom Full tower.

m
l
April 13, 2012 1:09:45 AM

nekulturny said:
80 bucks for a 550 ti? really? Thats a heck of a deal, but take it from me as an owner of one. Its decent, but there are better ones out there. But for 80 bucks, like I said.. that might be a good idea to snatch one up.

The mobo is indeed overkill. But I have no room to talk with a 180 dollar board myself but this is just as good for less http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Wrongo sir.

I cannot take the motherboard in the case that I have. I'm in the mATX form factor, and this was the only board with SLI capabilities, USB3, SATA III, PCI-3, and official support for Ivy Bridge.

Haha, if you wanna see the Zotac, here's the link. I know it says 99 w/ rebate (and Zotac is good w/ rebates; personal exp.), but once you get into the checkout - you gotta apply a promo code, ends tonight at 11:59 PDT. Luckily I'm EST lol.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Promo Code: Search it on Newegg or Google or something. It'll take off $20 so it comes out to $79.99 plus tax but free ship.

Plus, what's the brand of yours? And have you played BF3? Interested in the performance.
m
l
April 13, 2012 1:27:42 AM

Josheyman123 said:
Wrongo sir.

I cannot take the motherboard in the case that I have. I'm in the mATX form factor, and this was the only board with SLI capabilities, USB3, SATA III, PCI-3, and official support for Ivy Bridge.

Haha, if you wanna see the Zotac, here's the link. I know it says 99 w/ rebate (and Zotac is good w/ rebates; personal exp.), but once you get into the checkout - you gotta apply a promo code, ends tonight at 11:59 PDT. Luckily I'm EST lol.

Promo Code: Search it on Newegg or Google or something. It'll take off $20 so it comes out to $79.99 plus tax but free ship.

Plus, what's the brand of yours? And have you played BF3? Interested in the performance.

Ahh. if you're stuck with mATX then I missed that. 180 bucks is pretty expensive for a mATX, I'd rather have a full ATX board for that kind of money. But its your build.

I have the Zotac 550 TI, but mine is the AMP edition (the GPU is clocked up about 100mhz over). I don't play BF3, but heres my Cinebench from it.

Like I said, it works pretty good for 80 bucks, you can't beat it, I paid 150 something for mine 3 months ago.
m
l
April 13, 2012 1:27:55 AM

Oh, and something quick to add. I wanna overclock the i5 to say 4 - 4.5 GHz, but what cooler should I use???? It has to be under 90mm tall, so that kind of limits me. Need suggestions on that one.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2012 1:27:59 AM

Personal observation: I see the potential for future improvements as funds permit.
You are completely setup for overclocking, yet stock fan/heat sink? You will want to upgrade that, my recommended priority upgrade.
As has been mentioned... GPU - you will be able to upgrade that later

I think you did pretty good, wouldn't worry about the PSU, some brands may have higher failure rates than others but if it works... There are other options, something to consider for next build.
The choice of modular for that case is completely understandable - not a fan of that case personally but it's not my computer.
Have fun with it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2012 1:29:36 AM

Josheyman123 said:
Oh, and something quick to add. I wanna overclock the i5 to say 4 - 4.5 GHz, but what cooler should I use???? It has to be under 90mm tall, so that kind of limits me. Need suggestions on that one.

Water
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:37:42 AM

C12Friedman said:
Water

The case can't permit any kind of water cooling solution, without major modding. I'm not much of a case modder, one of the only things I don't mod lol.

I was thinking one of these three:

Corsair A50 - $35

CoolerMaster GeminII - $35

COOLER MASTER Vortex Plus - $26

Tell me which one you guys think is best.

Night all - back in school; I got college classes early in the morning so talk to ya in the afternoon hours.
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:46:15 AM

Josheyman123 said:
The case can't permit any kind of water cooling solution, without major modding. I'm not much of a case modder, one of the only things I don't mod lol.

I was thinking one of these three:

Corsair A50 - $35

CoolerMaster GeminII - $35

COOLER MASTER Vortex Plus - $26

Tell me which one you guys think is best.

Night all - back in school; I got college classes early in the morning so talk to ya in the afternoon hours.

I think getting a full or mid tower case is a better idea. Its not *that* much bigger.... I get it that case you picked has the bling, but bling is not everything. You're already paying way too much for a MicroATX with limited expansion features for that blingy case, and now you're having to worry about fitting an HSF.
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:56:29 AM

nekulturny said:
I think getting a full or mid tower case is a better idea. Its not *that* much bigger.... I get it that case you picked has the bling, but bling is not everything. You're already paying way too much for a MicroATX with limited expansion features for that blingy case, and now you're having to worry about fitting an HSF.

Bling is not the reason I picked it. I needed a easily transportable rig that didn't sacrifice nearly any on airflow and performance. I was simply hoping that I achieved that by picking what I did.

I've dealt w/ a mid tower for the last few years, before college, and it was still not my most pleasurable experience. Once I got in college, and that Athlon X2 250 and the 8800GTS just weren't enough, plus the fact that transportation with that mid tower was horrific, I upgraded to this. I have yet to see a downside when it comes to this besides my limited cooling options.

Back to the question at hand: Which of the three listed above is best for my needs - to get into the mid 4s and still be considerably quiet - while staying under 90mm tall?
m
l

Best solution

April 13, 2012 3:13:02 AM

Josheyman123 said:
Bling is not the reason I picked it. I needed a easily transportable rig that didn't sacrifice nearly any on airflow and performance. I was simply hoping that I achieved that by picking what I did.

I've dealt w/ a mid tower for the last few years, before college, and it was still not my most pleasurable experience. Once I got in college, and that Athlon X2 250 and the 8800GTS just weren't enough, plus the fact that transportation with that mid tower was horrific, I upgraded to this. I have yet to see a downside when it comes to this besides my limited cooling options.

Back to the question at hand: Which of the three listed above is best for my needs - to get into the mid 4s and still be considerably quiet - while staying under 90mm tall?

I'd go with the Gemini, problem with all of these coolers is that they may hinder high profile RAM modules. Thats another consideration to take into account.
November 5, 2012 12:00:59 AM

Best answer selected by Josheyman123.
m
l
!