First Build

Been putting these together for a few weeks since my laptop went down, and from what I think its a tank but I would like to hear what others think.

Case: Azza Toledo 301-$65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517013

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme4-$110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 980-$150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103935

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V6-$45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103089

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver-$10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

RAM: Team Xtreme 1600 DDR3 8GB-$40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313080

GPU: Gigabyte ATI 7850-$260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125419

PSU: Rosewill Xtreme 850W 80 PLUS Certified-$80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182072

HDD: Seagate 1TB 64MB Cache-$100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Accessories:
Rosewill 4-Pack LED Case Fans-$15
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200062

Sata Cable-$3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119272

Disc Drive-$22
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106378

Arctic Silver Paste Remover-$9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

Total: $916

Heres my wishlist if it helps:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23826027

PS:
I plan on running this cpu for a year or so until they fix the retarded FX-8150.

Christmas:
Plan on getting another 7850
Plan on getting 8gb more of Team Xtreme RAM
Plan on getting this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508

I also plan on overclocking the 7850 as far as possible and the 980 to around 4.5ghz.
20 answers Last reply
More about first build
  1. Nooooooo! Another person has been taken in by AMD's low prices!

    I'll break it to you: Intel is better. A lot better. Go with an i3-2120 (or the IB equivalent) if you have to.. .although you can do an i5-2500k. Just check any other thread, or tomshardware's article on gaming CPUs. Here's my suggestion (assuming you can wait until April 29th):

    CPU: i5-3750k ($220, not out yet... April 29th)

    CPU cooler: Hyper 212+ - $25
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    GPU: MSI Twin Frozr OC 7850 - $260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663&Tpk=MSI%20Twin%20Frozr%207850

    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard - $140
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

    Case: HAF 912 - $50
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf%20912

    RAM: Yours is fine - $40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313080

    HDD: Yours is fine - $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

    Optical: yours is fine - $21
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106378

    PSU: Yours is fine... if not, then I'd recommend this one: - $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

    Total: about $975 (give or take, especially if you can get to a microcenter)

    OC room, and this is a great build. Try it!
  2. Dangit Gary... we've got the same build again (basically... mine's cheaper :) ). You beat me to it again! Argh! Look at both, pick and choose parts---I'd wait for IB, but it's your choice.
  3. You don't need Arctic Silver. Those CM coolers come with a small tube of MX-4 thermal compound.

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-KKN1/dp/B003ZM7YTA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1334274797&sr=1-1 $49.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341049 $89.99 - $69.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
    OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271 $121.99
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 $219.99 FREE SHIPPING $10 promotional gift card w/ purchase, ends 4/15
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546 $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
    G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

    http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD%C2%B1RW-Serial-Internal-DRW-24B1ST/dp/B0033Z2BAQ/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b $19.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
    Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

    http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ref=sr_1_9?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1333216718&sr=1-9 $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663 $259.99
    MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card

    Total: $906.92 *not including shipping & rebates


    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=pd_cp_e_0 $34.29 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
  4. ddan49 said:
    Nooooooo! Another person has been taken in by AMD's low prices!

    I'll break it to you: Intel is better. A lot better. Go with an i3-2120 (or the IB equivalent) if you have to.. .although you can do an i5-2500k. Just check any other thread, or tomshardware's article on gaming CPUs. Here's my suggestion (assuming you can wait until April 29th):

    CPU: i5-3750k ($220, not out yet... April 29th)

    CPU cooler: Hyper 212+ - $25
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

    GPU: MSI Twin Frozr OC 7850 - $260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663&Tpk=MSI%20Twin%20Frozr%207850

    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard - $140
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

    Case: HAF 912 - $50
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf%20912

    RAM: Yours is fine - $40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313080

    HDD: Yours is fine - $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

    Optical: yours is fine - $21
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106378

    PSU: Yours is fine... if not, then I'd recommend this one: - $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

    Total: about $975 (give or take, especially if you can get to a microcenter)

    OC room, and this is a great build. Try it!


    Only problem is I got only about $900 thats why I wanted to roll with AMD and wait till they fix the FX-8150, I know that intels ALOT better but AMD has potential and its alot cheaper, Ill wait til the 3750k comes out so I can guage and change from there.
  5. Hmmm... then downgrade to a Z77 Pro3 motherboard (saving $30)... but any more and you'd have to take off of the GPU. Which is a bad idea. Think $950 is close enough? We could take off CPU and have it not overclock... even without an overclocked CPU, this build would still beat any AMD build.
  6. wgosnell said:
    Only problem is I got only about $900 thats why I wanted to roll with AMD and wait till they fix the FX-8150, I know that intels ALOT better but AMD has potential and its alot cheaper, Ill wait til the 3750k comes out so I can guage and change from there.

    AMD may sound good, but allocating core's performance on OS is not a good idea. I'd much rather have the CPU do the core performance.
  7. Yeah, to tell the truth, potential is potential... Intel is what is best NOW, and looks to keep being the best. AMD really fell behind, and they've got a lot of catching up to do... also, price isn't everything... most people consider price/performance. That ratio still keeps up in Intel, because even though Intel is quite a bit more pricey, the margin by which it distances itself from AMD is large enough to warrant that price difference.
  8. OP (wgosnell), there are a lot of...well, less than ideal choices in your build. Even if you INSIST on going with AMD, you should go with a C3 955BE or a 960T over the 980. Why_Me's build is solid, but I still have to ask:

    Why aren't you waiting for Ivy Bridge to drop in two weeks?

    Also, if you could glance over the questions here and answer anything you haven't already, it would be helpful for us to give you an ideal build: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

    gary1, please include descriptions so I don't have to click your "mystery links". If you don't put the effort in to show me what you're linking, nobody's gonna put the effort in to see what it is.
  9. actually price/performance ratio is good right now.

    for example, with the 4 core amd and 2 core i3 2100

    they are near each other in price, but you pay for it, for intel you pay premium for 2 core, and you get the performance you pay for it and since amd has a cheaper 4 core variation which is the same if not near in price for the i3 2100, it also means your paying for the performance it would give. so for intel you pay premium for premium performance and for amd you pay cheaper for cheap performance just that.

    although I wouldn't say AMD sucks balls right now, I mean many of us here can't even make a company and produce processors and graphics cards lol.

    AMD Processors are good and you get performance for it's price, same thing with intel, if you want premium performance go premium intel and if you want decent performance and cheap go amd just that, go with what your happy with,

    gaming wise either of the 2 only give a few fps difference (on most games specially those gpu intensive games)

    it's like this, using a i7 3960X @5.5Ghz with 64gb ram and everything else is premium but your using a Nvidia Geforce FX 5100 128mb video ram lol, vs amd fx 4100 with a gtx680/7970 on battlefield 3 at 3 monitor 1920x1080p then you would say the amd would perform better,

    so let's point it this way, what games you play and which brand you like, and are you willing to pay premium for premium performance or are you willing to pay cheap for a decent performance.

    But I do suggest going Intel. IMO IB is ok I guess but I think the one that comes after it is better.

    well for people who have SB, IB is not worth the upgrade, like the tick and tock, if sb is a tock and IB is a tick then go for the tock.

    but we can't help it we got lot's of people who are suckers for technology like me and still want to get ib even if I don't need it, but just need to work harder on overtimes ahahahaha

    @What TS posted
    change the processor to IB or SB and motherboard to Z77 or Z68, change your cpu cooler to coolermaster hyper 212 PLUS(evo is better but marginal difference for a higher price) specially if you can get 212plus for 18bucks like some other people did.
    for PSU I've used a lot of corsair psu and so far they are good but lately all my PSU that I use and buy and recommend are always Seasonic 80plus gold or 80plus platinum, but if your going bronze, seasonic or corsair tx650/750/850 V2 80plus bronze is great
  10. dalauder said:
    OP (wgosnell), there are a lot of...well, less than ideal choices in your build. Even if you INSIST on going with AMD, you should go with a C3 955BE or a 960T over the 980. Why_Me's build is solid, but I still have to ask:

    Why aren't you waiting for Ivy Bridge to drop in two weeks?

    Also, if you could glance over the questions here and answer anything you haven't already, it would be helpful for us to give you an ideal build: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

    gary1, please include descriptions so I don't have to click your "mystery links". If you don't put the effort in to show me what you're linking, nobody's gonna put the effort in to see what it is.

    The OP is ready to buy now, so I posted a build that came in at the same price as his AMD build that will run circles around it.
  11. I've been a good poster, though, haven't I? :ange:
  12. I'm not ready to buy now,I even said when quoting ddan I will WAIT and GUAGE myself from there, that came out hostile but I plan on buying very early in May. Whole problem is I can't budge from the amount of $$$, its coming out of my bank account its all I got and being in high school and no job currently I have no way I can get anymore, I'd much rather get the AMD over an I3, if Christmas comes this year I could probably scrape a 3750k and a MOBO from my parents and another 7850 for my Birthday in January. Another thing is I can use the HDD from my laptop, its a 320gb, SATA so I know it''ll be good but I'd much rather get this system and a new hard drive and use the laptop for FRAPS as I'm an admin on a garrys mod darkrp server soo ya...
  13. wgosnell said:
    I'm not ready to buy now,I even said when quoting ddan I will WAIT and GUAGE myself from there, that came out hostile but I plan on buying very early in May. Whole problem is I can't budge from the amount of $$$, its coming out of my bank account its all I got and being in high school and no job currently I have no way I can get anymore, I'd much rather get the AMD over an I3, if Christmas comes this year I could probably scrape a 3750k and a MOBO from my parents and another 7850 for my Birthday in January. Another thing is I can use the HDD from my laptop, its a 320gb, SATA so I know it''ll be good but I'd much rather get this system and a new hard drive and use the laptop for FRAPS as I'm an admin on a garrys mod darkrp server soo ya...

    Ivy Bridge is due out April 29th, if your around then I'l post a 3750K build for ya on here that will hit between $900 - $950.
  14. wgosnell said:
    I'm not ready to buy now,I even said when quoting ddan I will WAIT and GUAGE myself from there, that came out hostile but I plan on buying very early in May. Whole problem is I can't budge from the amount of $$$, its coming out of my bank account its all I got and being in high school and no job currently I have no way I can get anymore, I'd much rather get the AMD over an I3, if Christmas comes this year I could probably scrape a 3750k and a MOBO from my parents and another 7850 for my Birthday in January. Another thing is I can use the HDD from my laptop, its a 320gb, SATA so I know it''ll be good but I'd much rather get this system and a new hard drive and use the laptop for FRAPS as I'm an admin on a garrys mod darkrp server soo ya...
    Great you hear that you can wait for Ivy Bridge. Even if the processors don't shock the world, they'll still help with prices.

    I don't think the Phenom II x4 960T build would be that bad, considering it'll do fine in games if you overclock to 4.0GHz or so and that it can come in $100 cheaper than the Intel i5-2500K (or similar Ivy Bridge) build. If you decided to spend that money on graphics or keep it in your pocket, it MIGHT be worth it. On the other hand, it would be nice to have an awesome CPU that never bottlenecks you and can hit 4.5GHz 24/7 EASILY.

    Since you're willing to wait, wait as long as you can on the HDD as prices are continuing to drop as the industry recovers from the Thailand floods. I've got a 160GB 3.5" HDD I'll mail you for the cost of shipping ($5.35) if it makes the difference of whether or not you purchase an HDD right away. Personally, I'd go with something used like that and just get a $150 240GB SSD come Black Friday.
  15. But get RAM now... it's climbing as we speak.
  16. ddan49 said:
    But get RAM now... it's climbing as we speak.
    I've kinda been wondering what's going on with RAM. It has been consistently rising since last November, but I haven't read an article describing what's actually happening. I know it only got that low last year due to overproduction.
  17. That's exactly what's happening... it's rising now because they're correcting the "problem".
  18. I'm assuming the OP's not coming back, so I'm closing this tab in my web browser. PM me if you come back.
  19. You know the threads that have new posts on them shows up in a little box at the right, right? Blah... you're not gonna see this.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product