Windows Vista Wireless Networking Issue

phillip0614

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Hey all! I'm at my wits end with a network problem here and am praying someone here can help. I'm trying to help a friend of mine set up a new wireless router he was given as a gift, a Linksys WRT120N. He's got three wireless devices in the home right now: his laptop, my laptop, and a Wii. My laptop and the Wii will connect to the wireless, no problem. His laptop, however, will not.

I've tried just about everything I know to try to get it to work, to no avail. The wireless router sees my friend's laptop; it's on the DHCP client list, with IP address and everything. However, the laptop will not ping the router wirelessly. When it's hard-wired into the router, it pings fine, but when I unplug the ethernet cable, the wireless comes back with either "Request timed out." or "Reply from 192.168.1.103: Destination host unreachable." That IP address is the laptop's, by the way.

His laptop will apparently connect to other wireless networks fine, such as at the church he works at, but for some reason this new home wireless router is giving all kinds of headaches. Can anyone here think of something that would be causing this issue?