Sign in with
Your question

Boot

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2012 12:13:54 AM

After waking my pc it just sat as if loading, then the black screen with hit f1 or f2 for set up, all looks ok but no boot. I ran a diagnostics on hard drive it passed but when I try to boot but it keeps going back to Windows resume loader screen, only option is delete restoration data and proceed system boot menu or continue with system resume. I pick system resume but my pc won't boot. did I loose my hard drive, or is that something I can fix? I
,m at a loss.

More about : boot

April 13, 2012 12:33:24 AM

ccjet_99 said:
After waking my pc it just sat as if loading, then the black screen with hit f1 or f2 for set up, all looks ok but no boot. I ran a diagnostics on hard drive it passed but when I try to boot but it keeps going back to Windows resume loader screen, only option is delete restoration data and proceed system boot menu or continue with system resume. I pick system resume but my pc won't boot. did I loose my hard drive, or is that something I can fix? I
,m at a loss.

ok , so I selected delete restoration data and proced, my pc booted back up, but now I'm curious , what happened? is this a precursor to a crash?
m
l
April 13, 2012 1:28:12 AM

No, this is bad hibernation. The system tried to come back from hibernation but couldn't for some reason.

I think the message was asking for your permission to lose the old hibernate data and come up with cold boot.

Not knowing what version of windows you are running, or what hardware makes giving you detailed debugging tough. (1) Update all drivers (2) If you played with power states and have a custom power profile return to defaults. (3) If you loaded service right before hibernating ignore the problem until it recurs. (4) MS has articles like this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950686 troubleshoot performance issues with standby, hibernate, and resume in Windows Vista. (5) if this was a laptop, and you hiberanted docked or with the power plugged in, but tried to resume undocked or on battery then try plugging the PC into wall next time, it may boot.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 1:45:55 AM

tsnor said:
No, this is bad hibernation. The system tried to come back from hibernation but couldn't for some reason.

I think the message was asking for your permission to lose the old hibernate data and come up with cold boot.

Not knowing what version of windows you are running, or what hardware makes giving you detailed debugging tough. (1) Update all drivers (2) If you played with power states and have a custom power profile return to defaults. (3) If you loaded service right before hibernating ignore the problem until it recurs. (4) MS has articles like this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950686 troubleshoot performance issues with standby, hibernate, and resume in Windows Vista. (5) if this was a laptop, and you hiberanted docked or with the power plugged in, but tried to resume undocked or on battery then try plugging the PC into wall next time, it may boot.

ok, thank you, that eases my worries a bit. (it was my desktop , running windows 7) I take a look at the link for MS, thanks again.
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:12:36 AM

Hi, you should make a periodic backup IMAGE of your Windows partition.

Acronis True Image is $50 but has a FREE version for Western Digital and Seagate (need the correct version for the drive, and it works with ONLY a USB drive as well.)

Windows 7 has a backup IMAGE tool as well but it's not as good. I bought Acronis True Image and make a full and then an incremental backup WEEKLY. The process is AUTOMATED.

Example of use:
Windows HD/SSD is DEAD or has a bad virus etc.

1. Backup any important data such as your "Documents" folder, Internet Favorites etc (If drive still works)

2. Start up Acronis, or use a pre-made Acronis Boot Disc

3. RESTORE the latest backup image from another internal or USB drive.

4. Copy back over any recent information that you just saved in Step #1.

*FYI, my SSD died and I restored to a spare hard drive. I only "lost" three days of e-mail but I have my server settings set to keep e-mail for up to two weeks instead of deleting immediately so my e-mail program re-downloaded the missing e-mail and everything was fine.

When my RMA'd SSD came back I simply used the CLONE tool in Acronis TI to transfer to the SSD.

Cheers.
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:30:31 AM

photonboy said:
Hi, you should make a periodic backup IMAGE of your Windows partition.

Acronis True Image is $50 but has a FREE version for Western Digital and Seagate (need the correct version for the drive, and it works with ONLY a USB drive as well.)

Windows 7 has a backup IMAGE tool as well but it's not as good. I bought Acronis True Image and make a full and then an incremental backup WEEKLY. The process is AUTOMATED.

Example of use:
Windows HD/SSD is DEAD or has a bad virus etc.

1. Backup any important data such as your "Documents" folder, Internet Favorites etc (If drive still works)

2. Start up Acronis, or use a pre-made Acronis Boot Disc

3. RESTORE the latest backup image from another internal or USB drive.

4. Copy back over any recent information that you just saved in Step #1.

*FYI, my SSD died and I restored to a spare hard drive. I only "lost" three days of e-mail but I have my server settings set to keep e-mail for up to two weeks instead of deleting immediately so my e-mail program re-downloaded the missing e-mail and everything was fine.

When my RMA'd SSD came back I simply used the CLONE tool in Acronis TI to transfer to the SSD.

Cheers.

Thanks good info
m
l
!