Your question

Need some advice for a new pc build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2012 12:49:00 AM

Hi, i am in need of some advices for my new build. i have some questions and please bear with me and answers my question. any advice is greatly appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: will buy any component as long as it available right now. willing to wait if it worth the wait.

Budget Range: anything going up till $3000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, coding, video editing and watching movies.

Parts Not Required: already bought cooler master Cosmos II, Rat 9.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon. Frys, Microcenter.

Parts Preferences: Intel and Nvidia, asus for mobo.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: SLI

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

I have been doing some research for the last few weeks. but i stuck on deciding which option is more future proof.

im not sure should i go with x79 or the up coming z77 for the system. can you guys give me some advice.

as for the gpu, the 680 is my choice. i will probably buy the second one after the build is complete.

cooling will be liquid cool.

as for the monitor. im gonna hook it up to a SAMSUNG UN46ES8000

as for the rest, i need a psu, 8 G ram, a SSD, a hard drive.

so thank you for reading this and i hope im not so much of trouble.

More about : advice build

April 13, 2012 1:47:09 AM

Geez... with that budget, you could get more than 8GB of RAM, and stock up...

I'd wait till April 29th for IB. Apart from that, here's the build I suggest (look stuff up on pcpartpicker for the best prices):

CPU: IB i7-3770k

Liquid cooling: H100, but I'm not an expert

GPU: 2xGTX 680 in SLI

RAM: Any 16GB 1600+ CAS9 1.5v RAM kit... maybe look at 4x8GB for a total of 32GB

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6

SSD: Just about any... I'm not an expert. I have a Crucial, and no problems so far

HDD: 2TB 7200rpm

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 950W (or maybe 800W) Silver or above rated

I think that's about it... Oh, you said ASUS for mobo... just look at some Z77s you like.
m
l
April 13, 2012 3:13:16 AM

Nice case!
(Corsair H100 is dual 120mm. This case is 3x140mm at top.)

*Ivy Bridge motherboard roundup:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5728/intel-z77-panther-po...

Get a motherboard that supports USB3 front panel as well. I'm a fan of ASUS in general but spend some time reading about the features and Google reviews etc.

RAM: 32GB if video editing not just converting/transcoding video. Otherwise just use 8GB. (i.e. 1600MHz DDR3). I know you said 8GB, I'm referring to the above advise as well.

CPU: Intel 3770K (if about $300. I could not find it online yet.)

SSD:
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 (or similar)

Hard Drive:
WD 2TB Green (don't get Black/7200 RPM for a storage drive, it's just noisier. It's not even a big difference when booting games. I know, I compared. Less than 10% difference.)

I have STEAM installed to my hard drive (Windows on SSD). I simply created a "STEAM GAMES" folder and all games are automatically installed there. For other games I made a different "GAMES" folder to which I install to instead of the "quick" install which uses the C-drive.

PSU:
Check for sales. Read reviews. NCIX etc. For a single GTX680, 750W is plenty. Antec, Corsair etc. Be careful to get enough AMPS on the +12V rail. Often reported incorrectly (even EVGA). Use 20Amps or more per card on the +12V rail to be safe.

Video card:
Look for a non-reference card with excellent cooling.
*2xGTX680 is overkill for a single monitor/HDTV. You do NOT want to game on two monitors. Buy one and see how it goes. 27" 2560x1440 monitors are expected to drop to $500 within a year so you may wish to get one of these. I have one and love it for gaming.

46" HDTV:
Using an HDTV usually only makes sense for watching video or gaming using an XBox 360 controller, but not for viewing the Internet of playing games like Diablo 3.
The pixel-spacing isn't optimized for viewing closer than normal. The MINIMAL viewing distance recommended is eight feet.

HDTV SOUND:
HDMI outputs on graphics cards have decoders for certain audio codecs like Dolby Digital. You can't get game sounds, so you hay have to go through an HDMI receiver to a Surround Sound speaker setup.

WINDOWS: Windows 7 Premium 64-bit OEM (probably)

Liquid Cooling:
I'm not sure which solutions are compatible with your case. Liquid cooling isn't always ideal though. There are great Noctua air coolers for the CPU which are very quiet. Keep in mind liquid cooling has both a fan and a pump, and air cooling can still work if the fan fails due to the heatsink.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 3:29:31 AM

ddan49 said:
Geez... with that budget, you could get more than 8GB of RAM, and stock up...

I'd wait till April 29th for IB. Apart from that, here's the build I suggest (look stuff up on pcpartpicker for the best prices):

CPU: IB i7-3770k

Liquid cooling: H100, but I'm not an expert

GPU: 2xGTX 680 in SLI

RAM: Any 16GB 1600+ CAS9 1.5v RAM kit... maybe look at 4x8GB for a total of 32GB

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6

SSD: Just about any... I'm not an expert. I have a Crucial, and no problems so far

HDD: 2TB 7200rpm

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 950W (or maybe 800W) Silver or above rated

I think that's about it... Oh, you said ASUS for mobo... just look at some Z77s you like.

+1

Add XFX 850w Black Edition to that list of psu's.
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:41:32 AM

First, many thanks for ddan49, photonboy, and Why_me for the advices.
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:08:18 PM

Second...?
No problem... I've helped with all I can. Anything further would probably be best answered by Why_me, photonboy, or someone who is well-versed in the art of hardware :)  (I'm kidding, I know enough to help you out with most stuff. Motherboards... not so much).
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:15:51 PM

How important is video editing to you?
m
l
April 13, 2012 10:51:32 PM

CPU: I7 3770K

Mobo: Asus P8Z77 WS http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

PSU Corsair Professional Series Gold 850-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performance Power Supply

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-850-Watt-Cer...

I am planning to set up sli with 2 gtx 680 in the near future. will this power supply has enough juice for it.

As for the Ram, because the pc is mainly for gaming so i thought 8Gb will be enough. but after hearing your thought i will probably use 16 or 32 Gb of ram.

GPU : 1 gtx 680 for now. will buy another when it become available.

SSD OCZ VERTEX 3 series 120 GB

Hard drive WD 2 TB Green.

Multi monitor set up. At first i do want a multi monitors set up but after i bought the Samsung UN46es8000 i have no more room for the monitor.

so i probably gonna get 3 monitors at a latter time.

Liquid cooling: i want to build a liquid cooling system from scratch. this is just personal reason, and i want to try it but if you guys think air cool will be sufficicent then im all ear.
AS for video editing, it just a past time hobby, i just edit some personal video of me and my gf. that gonna be the most i ever do.
so far this is all i got if there any thing that you guys think that will benefit my build better please give me more advice. thank you
m
l
April 13, 2012 10:55:28 PM

If that is the case, drop down to the i5-2500k. I am just like you in video editing, except its a family video, and the i5-2500k is just fine for it.
m
l
April 14, 2012 2:56:17 AM

Yeah, i5 to i7 isn't a big hike. i5-2500k IB equivalent is i5-3750k at $225. Go with 16GB of RAM, but possibly with 2x8GB sticks, so you have room. A single GTX 680 won't be able to run max in three monitors, FYI. Two will make it a struggle, I think. PSU and mobo look good (although I'm not an expert on mobos).

Now... about the hard drive. I'm going to have to break it to you:
Being "green" isn't applied to the hard drive. If you want to save power, save it elsewhere. Everyone warns AGAINST getting green hard drives... just trust me on this. Google if you want. Get a typical 7200rpm 2TB hard drive... the "Green" will not be a good thing. Green PSUs are fine, for the most part (although some don't ship with a power cord... kind of weird...), but hard drives suffer.

With that PSU, doesn't seem like you want to save that much power, though.
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:01:32 AM

i dont really care about saving power, and the hard drive is not a big deal right now.

and the only thing stopping me from going sli right now is because the short supply of the 680. as soon as it become available i will put 2 in sli. and i wont hook the system to 3 monitors any time soon cuz the lack of space right now. initially the system gonna be hook up to my HDTV. maybe a month later or so i will get 3 monitor after.
so with this psu it will be enough for 2 680 right?
in addition i read some review about the mobo, it seem to be a good choice.
but if there any other one that you guys think is a better choice, please do tell me
thank you for all your replies.
m
l
April 14, 2012 5:51:59 AM

850W? Should be fine...

I couldn't find the ASUS for sale anywhere, so I don't know how you could have any reviews on it...

What I meant about the hard drive was that you need to get a non-green hard drive.
m
l
April 15, 2012 2:27:19 AM

Power Supply:
There are three main things to consider:
1) Total Wattage,
2) Wattage on the +12V rail (or combined rail) referred to in Amperage for the graphics card.
3) Quality Power Supply

The proper Amperage value is often hard to find. I just used the TDP, accounted for overclocking, erred a little higher than that and got 20Amps. I recommend an 850Watt PSU with at least 40Amps on the +12V rail (or combined rails). You can NOT simply add up any listed rails (unless they are WAAAY over 40Amps) as the Amps listed are for that rail ALONE supplying the power.

One problem is that apparently they are switching to use more of the computer with the +12V's and its hard to figure out exactly where the power is going. I contacted EVGA and the answer they sent made no sense (they said they are quoting 36Amps as the amperage for the ENTIRE SYSTEM. How does that make sense when they already told me that the card needed 550Watts? Sigh.)

FYI: how to calculate the Amperage value for a PSU
Amperage = Wattage/Voltage

If you know the Wattage (by maximum load in benchmarks or just use the TDP) and divide by +12Volts you get the value that the +12V rail must meet. This is a rough approximation but quite useful as an estimate. If in doubt, get a PSU with better specs.

Summary:
2xGTX680 needs a roughly 850Watt PSU with at least 40Amps on the +12V rail (or combined rails).

(and I see no point in a fast hard drive if the main drive is an SSD. It makes very little difference even to games.)
m
l
April 15, 2012 2:42:01 AM

^Good point about the hard drive. Well... if you need to pull up files quickly, like you need to open a folder with a movie, I guess it's a little faster. It's not gonna hurt, and dropping speed is only going to save like $20...

I would see your point if he had like a Velociraptor, but...

By the way, how's this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I like the fact that it's well-reviewed, cheap, silver rated, quiet, and... nice.
m
l
April 27, 2012 3:46:59 AM

Thank you every one so much for the advices and the time you guys give me for this thread.

Ivy bridge is finally here however after all the rumor and the review that i read about ivy bridge, it seems that ivy bridge is running a little hot and does not OC really well. So i want to ask one more time, Is it still a good idea to go with ivy bridge for this build of mine. Or should i just go with i7 3930K and 2011 mobo. Or will the i7 3770K and a z77 mobo still a good idea.

I just start a new job so im gonna do a little more work with Photoshop and video editing. so hyper threading is gonna help.

aside from that this is all the part that i have pick out. so please every one feel free to give me more advice. thank again for all your helps.

psu: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: asus gtx 680 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

case: cooler master cosmos II

SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC 7mm Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ODD: LITE-ON Black Internal 12x BD Combo SATA Model iHES212-08 LightScribe Support http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
April 27, 2012 4:02:53 AM

Drop down to 850W. The days of 1000W Power Supplies are over.
m
l
April 27, 2012 7:00:35 AM

@photonboy: I have a few bad experiences with antec before. Also I'm going to sli 2 680. 620w won't be enought right?
m
l
April 27, 2012 12:31:23 PM

mushroom88 said:
@photonboy: I have a few bad experiences with antec before. Also I'm going to sli 2 680. 620w won't be enought right?

You'll likely want 750W/850W with at least 48Amps on the +12V rail/rails.

A non-overclocked GTX680 might use about 14Amps max. Your CPU might require 10Amps as well. So that's 14+14+10 = 38Amps.

I'd probably go with 60Amps just to be on the safe side with overclocking. Also, you can't just simply add the +12V rails.

Antec makes great Power Supplies. Sorry you've had issues.

This PSU is on sale and would suit your needs:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58382&vpn=CMPSU-750TXV...
m
l
!