Changing Open folder icon

I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to add a string key
"4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the Explorer/ShellIcons bit as googled from
various places, even trying a vbs script found at one site (David Candy's?
Kelly's Korner?).

Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change in the icon.
In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to remove the shortcut
arrow, same syntax, working fine.

Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest XP Home with
SP2 pre-fitted.
7 answers Last reply
More about changing open folder icon

    cpemma wrote:
    > I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to add a
    > string key "4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the Explorer/ShellIcons bit
    > as googled from various places, even trying a vbs script found at one
    > site (David Candy's? Kelly's Korner?).
    >
    > Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change in the
    > icon. In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to remove
    > the shortcut arrow, same syntax, working fine.
    >
    > Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest XP Home
    > with SP2 pre-fitted.

    If you are having problems, I can recommend the following program. Works
    very well to change virtually any icon on the system.

    Stardock: IconPackager:
    http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to add a string
    > key "4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the Explorer/ShellIcons bit as googled
    > from various places, even trying a vbs script found at one site (David
    > Candy's? Kelly's Korner?).
    >
    > Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change in the icon.
    > In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to remove the shortcut
    > arrow, same syntax, working fine.
    >
    > Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest XP Home with
    > SP2 pre-fitted (v2002).
    The plot thickens. The changed open folder icon shows when browsing to a
    folder using the old Win9x 'Send to...any folder' PowerToy, but *not* in
    Explorer, Regedit or when browsing to a folder in WinZip and various Install
    programs I've just tried.

    Could it be these aren't using the Shell32.dll icons post-SP2?

    "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote
    | "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote
    | > I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to add a string
    | > key "4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the Explorer/ShellIcons bit as googled
    | > from various places, even trying a vbs script found at one site (David
    | > Candy's? Kelly's Korner?).
    | >
    | > Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change in the icon.
    | > In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to remove the shortcut
    | > arrow, same syntax, working fine.
    | >
    | > Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest XP Home with
    | > SP2 pre-fitted (v2002).
    | The plot thickens. The changed open folder icon shows when browsing to a
    | folder using the old Win9x 'Send to...any folder' PowerToy, but *not* in
    | Explorer, Regedit or when browsing to a folder in WinZip and various Install
    | programs I've just tried.
    |
    | Could it be these aren't using the Shell32.dll icons post-SP2?

    Try refreshing the IconCache via...

    Control Panel
    Display
    Appearance
    Item: Icon
    Size: <decrease current value by one>
    OK
    OK

    Control Panel
    Display
    Appearance
    Item: Icon
    Size: <increase value by one>
    OK
    OK

    Also, because you used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache,
    you may need to repair these settings in REGEDIT...

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop\WindowMetrics

    DWORD Value Shell Icon BPP
    Value Data 16

    DWORD Value Shell Icon Size
    Value Data 32

    PS Regedit uses its own icons stored in the exe file.

    http://www.uscricket.com

    David Candy wrote:
    > It works for me but it has to be exactly right. What exactly have you
    > done.

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Icons]
    "4"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\shell32.dll,110"
    "3"=""
    "29"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\tweakui.exe,3"

    Above is the exported reg file - only single backslashes in Regedit and no
    quotes. The shortcut arrow diversion added by TweakuiXP works OK.

    I used a different shell32.dll icon (110) to ensure the correct icon
    format - it's a folder with a tick so appropriate - but using the download
    green folder icon file makes no difference to the results.

    After refreshing icon cache and a reboot for good luck, the changed icon
    shows if I open 'Send to any folder' from the desktop and browse the tree
    view, as http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/tick_ok.jpg

    However, running normal 2-pane Explorer it's not there in tree view when I
    open a folder, and running 'Send to any folder' in the Explorer pane, it's
    now no longer shown on the browse tree view after opening a target as shown
    http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/no_tick.jpg

    Weird.

    Question - what does specifying a negative number for an icon in a set do?

    I'll think about the rest as I'm about to go to bed. Positive numbers are the order of icons in a file (starting at 0). Negative numbers are the icon resource number (defined by the programmer). Note the +/- is a regedit syntax for positive order in file or positive the resource number. That is - 207 means the resource +207 (as resources are all positive). Only MS tends to use the resource number. Resources are tyhe menus, icons, accelerators, strings, etc in a file.

    http://www.uscricket.com

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | cpemma wrote:
    | > I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to
    add a
    | > string key "4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the
    Explorer/ShellIcons bit
    | > as googled from various places, even trying a vbs script
    found at one
    | > site (David Candy's? Kelly's Korner?).
    | >
    | > Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change
    in the
    | > icon. In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to
    remove
    | > the shortcut arrow, same syntax, working fine.
    | >
    | > Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest
    XP Home
    | > with SP2 pre-fitted.
    |
    | If you are having problems, I can recommend the following
    program. Works
    | very well to change virtually any icon on the system.
    |
    | Stardock: IconPackager:
    | http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/
    |

    | --
    |
    | Ronnie Vernon
    | Microsoft MVP
    | Windows Shell/User

    Caution: I've found Stardock stuff to be somewhar unreliable -
    test well first before continuing. Run all your intensive stuff
    & put thru their paces. It's not initially evident for whatever
    reason.

    Pop

Configuration Registry Windows XP