Changing Open folder icon

November 6, 2004 10:48:36 PM

I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to add a string key
"4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the Explorer/ShellIcons bit as googled from
various places, even trying a vbs script found at one site (David Candy's?
Kelly's Korner?).

Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change in the icon.
In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to remove the shortcut
arrow, same syntax, working fine.

Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest XP Home with
SP2 pre-fitted.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 4:45:26 AM

cpemma wrote:
> I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to add a
> string key "4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the Explorer/ShellIcons bit
> as googled from various places, even trying a vbs script found at one
> site (David Candy's? Kelly's Korner?).
>
> Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change in the
> icon. In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to remove
> the shortcut arrow, same syntax, working fine.
>
> Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest XP Home
> with SP2 pre-fitted.

If you are having problems, I can recommend the following program. Works
very well to change virtually any icon on the system.

Stardock: IconPackager:
http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to add a string
> key "4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the Explorer/ShellIcons bit as googled
> from various places, even trying a vbs script found at one site (David
> Candy's? Kelly's Korner?).
>
> Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change in the icon.
> In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to remove the shortcut
> arrow, same syntax, working fine.
>
> Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest XP Home with
> SP2 pre-fitted (v2002).
The plot thickens. The changed open folder icon shows when browsing to a
folder using the old Win9x 'Send to...any folder' PowerToy, but *not* in
Explorer, Regedit or when browsing to a folder in WinZip and various Install
programs I've just tried.

Could it be these aren't using the Shell32.dll icons post-SP2?
November 9, 2004 12:23:11 PM

"cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote
| "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote
| > I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to add a string
| > key "4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the Explorer/ShellIcons bit as googled
| > from various places, even trying a vbs script found at one site (David
| > Candy's? Kelly's Korner?).
| >
| > Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change in the icon.
| > In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to remove the shortcut
| > arrow, same syntax, working fine.
| >
| > Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest XP Home with
| > SP2 pre-fitted (v2002).
| The plot thickens. The changed open folder icon shows when browsing to a
| folder using the old Win9x 'Send to...any folder' PowerToy, but *not* in
| Explorer, Regedit or when browsing to a folder in WinZip and various Install
| programs I've just tried.
|
| Could it be these aren't using the Shell32.dll icons post-SP2?

Try refreshing the IconCache via...

Control Panel
Display
Appearance
Item: Icon
Size: <decrease current value by one>
OK
OK

Control Panel
Display
Appearance
Item: Icon
Size: <increase value by one>
OK
OK

Also, because you used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache,
you may need to repair these settings in REGEDIT...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop\WindowMetrics

DWORD Value Shell Icon BPP
Value Data 16

DWORD Value Shell Icon Size
Value Data 32
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 2:09:13 PM

PS Regedit uses its own icons stored in the exe file.

http://www.uscricket.com
"cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote in message news:s7ednb6HCf4LPRPcRVnytg@pipex.net...
> "cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to add a string
>> key "4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the Explorer/ShellIcons bit as googled
>> from various places, even trying a vbs script found at one site (David
>> Candy's? Kelly's Korner?).
>>
>> Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change in the icon.
>> In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to remove the shortcut
>> arrow, same syntax, working fine.
>>
>> Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest XP Home with
>> SP2 pre-fitted (v2002).
> The plot thickens. The changed open folder icon shows when browsing to a
> folder using the old Win9x 'Send to...any folder' PowerToy, but *not* in
> Explorer, Regedit or when browsing to a folder in WinZip and various Install
> programs I've just tried.
>
> Could it be these aren't using the Shell32.dll icons post-SP2?

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:01:47 PM

David Candy wrote:
> It works for me but it has to be exactly right. What exactly have you
> done.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Icons]
"4"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\shell32.dll,110"
"3"=""
"29"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\tweakui.exe,3"

Above is the exported reg file - only single backslashes in Regedit and no
quotes. The shortcut arrow diversion added by TweakuiXP works OK.

I used a different shell32.dll icon (110) to ensure the correct icon
format - it's a folder with a tick so appropriate - but using the download
green folder icon file makes no difference to the results.

After refreshing icon cache and a reboot for good luck, the changed icon
shows if I open 'Send to any folder' from the desktop and browse the tree
view, as http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/tick_ok.jpg

However, running normal 2-pane Explorer it's not there in tree view when I
open a folder, and running 'Send to any folder' in the Explorer pane, it's
now no longer shown on the browse tree view after opening a target as shown
http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/no_tick.jpg

Weird.

Question - what does specifying a negative number for an icon in a set do?
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 3:15:26 AM

I'll think about the rest as I'm about to go to bed. Positive numbers are the order of icons in a file (starting at 0). Negative numbers are the icon resource number (defined by the programmer). Note the +/- is a regedit syntax for positive order in file or positive the resource number. That is - 207 means the resource +207 (as resources are all positive). Only MS tends to use the resource number. Resources are tyhe menus, icons, accelerators, strings, etc in a file.

http://www.uscricket.com
"cpemma" <cpemma@mexbro.co.uk> wrote in message news:-9KdnZ86vdP8Ig3cRVnyiA@pipex.net...
> David Candy wrote:
>> It works for me but it has to be exactly right. What exactly have you
>> done.
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Icons]
> "4"="C:\\Windows\\system32\\shell32.dll,110"
> "3"=""
> "29"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\tweakui.exe,3"
>
> Above is the exported reg file - only single backslashes in Regedit and no
> quotes. The shortcut arrow diversion added by TweakuiXP works OK.
>
> I used a different shell32.dll icon (110) to ensure the correct icon
> format - it's a folder with a tick so appropriate - but using the download
> green folder icon file makes no difference to the results.
>
> After refreshing icon cache and a reboot for good luck, the changed icon
> shows if I open 'Send to any folder' from the desktop and browse the tree
> view, as http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/tick_ok.jpg
>
> However, running normal 2-pane Explorer it's not there in tree view when I
> open a folder, and running 'Send to any folder' in the Explorer pane, it's
> now no longer shown on the browse tree view after opening a target as shown
> http://www.mexbro.co.uk/bit/no_tick.jpg
>
> Weird.
>
> Question - what does specifying a negative number for an icon in a set do?

November 10, 2004 9:51:57 AM

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
| cpemma wrote:
| > I've been trying to change this using the registry edit to
add a
| > string key "4" = "iconpath\iconfile" to the
Explorer/ShellIcons bit
| > as googled from various places, even trying a vbs script
found at one
| > site (David Candy's? Kelly's Korner?).
| >
| > Used TweakuiXP to refresh the icon cache, rebooted, no change
in the
| > icon. In the same registry position is the TweakuiXP hack to
remove
| > the shortcut arrow, same syntax, working fine.
| >
| > Is this a hack that SP2 has stopped working? OS is the latest
XP Home
| > with SP2 pre-fitted.
|
| If you are having problems, I can recommend the following
program. Works
| very well to change virtually any icon on the system.
|
| Stardock: IconPackager:
| http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/
|

| --
|
| Ronnie Vernon
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows Shell/User

Caution: I've found Stardock stuff to be somewhar unreliable -
test well first before continuing. Run all your intensive stuff
& put thru their paces. It's not initially evident for whatever
reason.

Pop
!