DDR Memory compared to SD Memory

G

Well after checking out one of the articles in Tom's Hardware Guides. The differences between SD RAM and DDR RAM are minor and quite frankly I dont see any reason why DDR would be worth it, considering the price. What are your thoughts?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
They're not that big of a difference, but anything for speed!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
DDR has twice the bandwidth than SDR. That's really the only difference.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Sorry my earlier question wasnt specific to what I meant. I was talking in regards to performance. Is it worth buying SDR now and getting DDR later, or getting DDR now?

mpjesse

Splendid
Here's the thing. A ramp up of processor speeds require memory with more bandwidth- SDR is at it's limits. DDR is the perfect solution to get more bandwidth. You'll see what I mean when the palomino is released- it'll take better advantage of DDR. I'd recommend DDR because future processors are really going to need it.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

Thanks for the info.

I'm just worried that if I get DDR ram now, it will become "obsolete" as DDR gets better, or is better used...

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
but won't the palomino be using a different socket interface? if so then you'd have to buy a new motherboard even if you already had the ddr ram. wouldn't it be more prudent to wait till the new palomino came out and then switch to ddr when the difference would be more apparent? that is, of course, if the palomino's chipset will even support sdram.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>

G

Good point on compatibility. Everyone was saying that the KT133A chipset was Palomino compatible but when overclockers.com, believe it was them, asked ASUS if their mobo's were compatible with Palomino, ASUS wouldn't guarantee it. This would make me wonder about the current KT266 mobos .

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

mpjesse

Splendid
As you have already read- all current Socket A chipsets are compatible with the Palomino. The only requirement is the lower voltage. SSE has nothing to do with the chipset and neither does some of the new improvements.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

trak0r

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I think you should wait to find out what the extra pins are on the pali ' ..... Even tom said that himself, " Mobile Athlon 4 will come in two different form factors. One of the two is the well-known SocketA form factor, as shown in the pictures above. AMD claims that Mobile Athlon 4 cannot be operated in a normal SocketA motherboard, although Mobile Athlon 4 for SocketA has got the same mechanical dimensions and pin count as previous SocketA processors.

Supposedly some of the pins have 'different assignments'. I can NOT verify this. What I found however is that a few pins of Athlon 4 are now used that were marked as 'not connected' for Thunderbird Athlons. "

anyways, we will all find out if we can use ANY SOCKET A, or just new and improved future chipsets that support DDR or QDR.. Personaly, I'm waiting for the HAMMER :) :) thats a f@#$# proccessor !

Asta,

Trak0r