Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Compaq Presario can't connect to internet with Motorola SBG 6580

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 2, 2011 5:57:02 PM

Hello,

My son has Compaq Presario C700 (C769US) with an Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g wifi adapter. I can connect his lapatop to our Motorola SBG 6580, but then cannot connect to the internet. I get the error that the DNS lookup failed. I have looked everywhere on the HP help site, and have talked to the Motorola people, and I don't have a clue. I can't download an updated driver without the internet (I don't think), but I honestly don't think that is the problem. Please help, as I am at my wits end. Thank you so much.

loganterrell
July 2, 2011 8:22:30 PM

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric codes beside the words "IPv4 Address", "Default Gateway", and "DNS Servers". Type exit to close the black form.

can you list those three numeric codes
July 3, 2011 3:11:10 PM

Emerald said:
go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric codes beside the words "IPv4 Address", "Default Gateway", and "DNS Servers". Type exit to close the black form.

can you list those three numeric codes

Emerald,
Thank you very much for responding. Here is the information for the Motorola router that shows up in ipconfig/all.

IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.3 (preferred)
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DSN Servers: 67.87.68.166 and 68.87.74.166

loganterrell
Related resources
July 3, 2011 5:09:55 PM

then go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ping www.yahoo.com -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, see if it will ping the IP. Type exit to close the black form.

If you can ping the IP and you still unable to access the internet, try the following:

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.

Make sure the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" check box is unchecked.

Even if should have internet connection again, run through Step 1 of this malware guide to make sure it is not malware causing the problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248626-45-simple-free...
July 3, 2011 6:52:06 PM

Emerald said:
then go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ping www.yahoo.com -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, see if it will ping the IP. Type exit to close the black form.

If you can ping the IP and you still unable to access the internet, try the following:

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.

Make sure the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" check box is unchecked.

Even if should have internet connection again, run through Step 1 of this malware guide to make sure it is not malware causing the problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248626-45-simple-free...

How do I ping the IP?
July 3, 2011 6:54:33 PM

I checked the Internet options and that box for proxy server is not checked.
Thanks again for helping.
July 3, 2011 7:08:55 PM

I just get a black screen
July 3, 2011 7:24:08 PM

does this work?

cmd /k ping 72.30.2.43
July 3, 2011 7:33:45 PM

First I did it and I got data that said "unavailable" or something like that, and data showed 50% failure, but then I wasn't sure I did it exactly right, so I did it again, and now my computer starting automatically installing updates. I'm not sure why?!?!? It is shutting down. I'll let you know what happens after I reboot.
July 3, 2011 7:55:30 PM

OK. This is what I got from the command:

Pinging 72.30.2.43 with 32 bytes of data.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.0.3: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 72.30.2.43:
Packets sent =4, received = 1, lost = 3
July 3, 2011 8:10:18 PM

have you checked your computer for malware and virus?
July 3, 2011 11:07:42 PM

Yes. It has Norton 360 installed and we run checks on all of our computers often. I had my son go in and delete some programs that are taking up a lot of GB.
July 3, 2011 11:14:27 PM

I also did a system restore to a point in time before I started screwing around with it, because now I'm afraid I've made it worse.

Best solution

July 3, 2011 11:15:05 PM

can you disable the Norton firewall and see if it fixes the problem?
July 3, 2011 11:21:08 PM

I did that before we tried to connect the first time. After this system restore I'll take down all the firewalls, make sure there is enough space, use the disc that came with the modem and see what happens. Does that sound reasonable? I have no confidence at all that it will connect though.
July 4, 2011 3:41:08 AM

to clean up your hard drive use CCleaner
July 11, 2011 2:09:26 PM

Best answer selected by loganterrell.
!