Final check for my new gaming system (i5-2550k, HD 7850, SSD, 8g Ram)

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I have been taking advice and picking parts for the last week. My original budget was $600-$900 and I now have a $1,120+tax machine. :ouch:

I have fallen in love with it though and cant make any cuts. :D Now I am just checking to make sure that everything will be compatible, Im not missing any good deals, and/or any last minute suggestions.

Please help me double check my parts here:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23832307

I would like to order this weekend. But the MSI card I want is currently out of stock, so I might wait until next week and hope they get it back in stock.

PSU look OK? Any better choices?

2500k vs 2550k?

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Ohhhh yes, thermal paste! Added.

I had the 2500k, but figured what the hell for $10 more. I saw it was Toms pick for Best Gaming CPU: $200 and Up so I changed it.

Why do you like the HAF 912 over the Antec 300? I did have the HAF but switched to the Antec because it has more fans.

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Thanks. Credit goes to aznshinobi and other Toms for pointing me in the right direction though.

I was originally planning on buying an expensive pile of crap. :D

Why would the OP need Arctic Silver thermal paste? CM cpu coolers come with a small tube of MX-4 thermal compound which is about as good as it gets. This is the second time Iv'e seen you recommend Arctic Silver to someone who already planned on purchasing a CM cooler.

mcopinger

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I'd go with the HAF 912 also, purchase x2 200mm fan for the Front(intake) and top (exhaust) and move the stock fans elsewhere, maybe the side and you'll have great quiet cooling. Price shouldn't fluxute too much

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Well I decided to stop by Frys today and just check out the cases in person and Im glad I did. I found out that I didn't like the Antec 300, but I also don't like the HAF 912 either. The Antecs front panel and buttons felt cheap. The 912 was just ugly. (Sorry if Im offending anyone here, I know a lot of people have these cases. Just a personal preference.)

I was leaning toward the HAF 922 because of the fans it comes with, but its even uglier than the 912. Thats when I saw this:

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008

Its a little bit more expensive at $99 before rebate, but the overall quality of the case seems much better. It doesnt have as many fans as the 922 or 300 Illusion, but that's an easy upgrade if I do need more airflow.

It has a dust filter on the bottom as well which is nice and also has and a very nice cable management system. Besides the 2 ugly blue usb ports on the front, this beats the 300 and HAF hands down in the looks department (again, just my opinion).

The only problem I can see is that the front ports are USB 3.0, and my Mobo only has USB 3.0 on the back panel. Not a huge problem though. I can live without USB on the front for now, and I think they make adapters that go from 2.0 Motherboard to 3.0 Case ( at 2.0 speed).

Edit: Just noticed the 400R comes with a 2.0 to 3.0 USB adapter. Woohoo!

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Yea, I was sitting there for about 30 minutes going back and forth between the two.

I do like the 922, just don't think I could ever get used to how the front looks.

I kept going back to the Carbide 400R though. Solid buttons, well made, interior paint, cable management, sleek front, ect. Just really liked how it was designed. Only concerns were the USB and FANs, but both are any easy fix.

And what the hell, I am already well over budget. Whats another $20... right? :whistle: