Sign in with
Your question

Need Helping lowering my Intel build <=1000

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2012 3:26:39 AM

Hello, I am new here and want to say hello. I joined because I am selling my recently new iMac because I am not that satisfied with what my money gave me. I am selling it for $1000.00 so that is what my budget is.

Here is the link to all the parts I currently have picked out: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I plan on purchasing everything when Ivy bridge comes out, explains why I have a Z77 picked out. I am just not for sure if the radeon 6870 is what I need, or if i should get the newer 7770. I like to watch movies, and game here and there, so graphics is key. I plan on getting a blu ray burner in the future.. Also I don't know a 120 gig ssd is worth the extra money.. can someone help me on the main benefits.

To keep it short, I know I want the I5, windows 7, case, ram, monitor, and optical drive for sure. JUst don't know about the others.

Thanks
April 13, 2012 4:03:36 AM

I'd ditch the SSD and go for a 500GB mechanical drive. Sandforce drives like the Force 3 are prone to issues, errors, and BSODs. Go with the mehanical for now and add the SSD for later. If you want, I'd say invest the difference in upgrading to the 7850 but you don't necessarily have to.
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:16:32 AM

Yeah i might take your advise and go with the mech drive.. As far as the gpu goes, am i limited with the radeon 6870 in the future vs the 7770? Will IB produce better preformance with newer gpu's? I just don't want to bust 1000, but it seems hard since i do not have any monitor and need win7.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 4:17:26 AM

The 6870 is much better than the 7770. The 7770 is more around the lines of the 6770.
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:22:04 AM

I will just stick with 6870 then. I would like to get a 7850 if there was a way I could still reach the $1000 mark. Any suggestions? I'm really new to building a pc and any input is much appreciated. Thanks
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:36:37 AM

seanmcd91 said:
Yeah i might take your advise and go with the mech drive.. As far as the gpu goes, am i limited with the radeon 6870 in the future vs the 7770? Will IB produce better preformance with newer gpu's? I just don't want to bust 1000, but it seems hard since i do not have any monitor and need win7.

Ivy Bridge will unlock PCI Gen 3 and whether or not it improves long-term GPU performance remains to be seen. If you don't have monitor or Windows 7 that could make a significant difference in your budget.
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:42:46 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Ivy Bridge will unlock PCI Gen 3 and whether or not it improves long-term GPU performance remains to be seen. If you don't have monitor or Windows 7 that could make a significant difference in your budget.

I guess we'll find out... and yeah I wish I had both, maybe i'll find a used monitor that is good enough.. Is the cooler master haf 912 better than the case I have? I know it is a tad cheaper. I am all about a neat design, so cable management is a priority. And it helps with cooling.
m
l
April 13, 2012 5:48:08 PM

seanmcd91 said:
I guess we'll find out... and yeah I wish I had both, maybe i'll find a used monitor that is good enough.. Is the cooler master haf 912 better than the case I have? I know it is a tad cheaper. I am all about a neat design, so cable management is a priority. And it helps with cooling.

I have that same case and it's been great - it has far better features and includes a lot of nice extras over cases twice as expensive.
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:09:11 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec EA-650 for $70

Rosewill Challenger-U3 case for $60 and ships free

MSI GTX560Ti for $220 and ships free; has $20 MIR if you play that game and win.

G.Skill Value Series for $38; uses Micron chips.

Shaves $20+20+$40+$9=$89 off the price of your build, not counting the rebate, and avoids supporting Crappermaster.

Edit: The Antec PSU has another $20 off promo code attached to it; you'll just edge under your $1K budget.
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:10:13 PM

I would much rather go with your so-called "Crappermaster" HAF 912 than Rosewill cases. Much better features.
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:20:44 PM

azeem40 said:
I would much rather go with your so-called "Crappermaster" HAF 912 than Rosewill cases. Much better features.

Although the Fractal Design Arc MIDI is on sale at Newegg right now - I seriously had to restrain myself from pulling the trigger on getting one last night with the $70 shocker deal. Damn you Newegg!! :lol: 
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:29:45 PM

The Crappermaster case is inferior. For one, it lacks front USB 3.0. For two, it comes with one less fan. For three, Crappermaster is a dishonest company (fact, not opinion; some of their PSUs still have liar-labels and/or claim protections that are missing). For four, and only this one is opinion, in my experience every Crappermaster case I ever bought (back before I knew better) had fixable minor quality issues like untapped screw holes, worthless tool-free mounts, and/or misaligned panels.
I switched to Rosewill, and never saw another quality issue, and have been happy with the features.
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:33:08 PM

For one, USB 3.0's full potential is not utilized, just like PCIe 3.0. You need an IB CPU+MOBO or an LGA 2011 CPU+MOBO to reap its benefits. I know you're an addict on these forums, but please don't use it as convincing methods. :p 
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:41:42 PM

Yeah I was thinking about either the gtx 560ti or the 7850 now. I saw a 560ti on tiger direct for $180 but it wasn't the 448 cores. I heard you shouldn't cheap out on the psu, the one I have picked out now is a seasonic 12II 620. It is a good price for being modular. IS it worth the 20 bucks ove the Antec EA 650?
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:43:18 PM

It entirely depends on the amps of the 12v rail.
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:11:34 PM

My "rank" on the forums is not relevant. I stated reasons why I avoid Crappermaster. Most are factual, the one about quality is my opinion. Other opinions of their products may be favorable. My beef with them is actually not so much the quality, as the dishonesty. That is a fact, as determined in competent technical reviews at HardwareSecrets. Whether or not to support a dishonest company is your choice; I've made mine.
As to USB 3.0, if you ever get an external hard drive with a USB interface, you'll hope it's USB 3.0... While you can always use a mobo's rear USB 3.0 port, if you want the convenience of a connector up front, the Crappermaster doesn't have it, and the Rosewill does. For the same (or lower) price, I'd rather have something and not need it, than need it (or want it) and not have it. Subjective issues of quality aside, on an objective feature table, Crappermaster loses.
The standard GTX560Ti is stronger than the HD6870; I like mine.
Seasonic PSUs are among the best you can buy. Delta is another excellent OEM; I think they might be the ones that make the Earthwatts. Neither would be a bad choice. Personally, I prefer modular, but if the $1K budget is not flexible, the cheaper Earthwatts is a viable alternative.
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:19:10 PM

seanmcd91 said:
Hello, I am new here and want to say hello. I joined because I am selling my recently new iMac because I am not that satisfied with what my money gave me. I am selling it for $1000.00 so that is what my budget is.

Here is the link to all the parts I currently have picked out: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I plan on purchasing everything when Ivy bridge comes out, explains why I have a Z77 picked out. I am just not for sure if the radeon 6870 is what I need, or if i should get the newer 7770. I like to watch movies, and game here and there, so graphics is key. I plan on getting a blu ray burner in the future.. Also I don't know a 120 gig ssd is worth the extra money.. can someone help me on the main benefits.

To keep it short, I know I want the I5, windows 7, case, ram, monitor, and optical drive for sure. JUst don't know about the others.

Thanks

Everything in your newegg list looks good other than the board. That board doesn't run dual cards, and by the looks of your psu and gpu I see you want that option. Look at the Asrock Z77 extreme4 $140 @ newegg. That board does run dual cards @ x8.
m
l
April 13, 2012 11:14:30 PM

Why_Me said:
Everything in your newegg list looks good other than the board. That board doesn't run dual cards, and by the looks of your psu and gpu I see you want that option. Look at the Asrock Z77 extreme4 $140 @ newegg. That board does run dual cards @ x8.

By dual cards do you mean 2 gpu's? I only want one gpu, no need for a 2nd, or are you talking about using the I5's internal gpu with the extra card? I just want to be able to use ivy bridge's graphics grad with maybe a radeon 7850 or gtx 560ti. And maybe a sound card in the future too... Just trying to keep my price down. Not go up.
m
l
!