Graphics card upgrade help.

Stereochild

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hello guys,

I have an Acer Aspire l3600 " http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireL3600/AspireL3600sp2.shtml "
I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card but I really don't have a clue! I'm looking to spend £50-60, £70 MAX.

Here are my specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ACERVIIV-PC
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire L3600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. R01-A1, 24/09/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 647 MB
Total Virtual Memory 3.98 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.33 GB

And to save time, my model number implies that I have 135 Watt, 100-240V AC AutoSensing Adapter power supply :)

Cheers guys! :bounce:

You cannot upgrade the graphics card as you cannot fit one in that case and a 135W PSU cannot power one anyway. Also the spec does not mention you even have a PCIE slot to connect one anyway. So in order to upgrade the graphics you need a new case, a new power supply and maybe a new motherboard.

If you want to add a new GPU on that rig you'll need a new PSU, if the GPU requires additional power.
You can upgrade to any PCIe GPU since your Mobo has a PCIe Slot. Although it's a 1.0 slot, you could go for a low profile GPU that does not need more power and will also not be bottle necked by your CPU and Mobo.
Although this is not of much use since you're stuck with a 4GB RAM limit which itself will put a lot of strain on the rig.
This for example will be pretty good for the mobo you have in it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150571
and will do quite a bit, a hell of a lot, more than the IGP.
IMO..... Start saving money for a entirely new rig....

nate1613

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
You cannot upgrade the graphics card as you cannot fit one in that case and a 135W PSU cannot power one anyway. Also the spec does not mention you even have a PCIE slot to connect one anyway. So in order to upgrade the graphics you need a new case, a new power supply and maybe a new motherboard.

but i saw on the specs of aspire L3600 there is a mini PCI 3A expasion slot. what is that for??

DM186

Splendid

Its not for a GPU. You have to look for the PCIe x 16 or x8 or x4 for your graphic cards. The kinds of slots on your MOBO are for sound cards, networking cards, etc. I would be very carefull about upgrading.

Sometimes the 2.1 cards don't work in a 1.0 slot. only sometimes but most of the time they work. I would not spend anymoney on this setup. Even though you get a bigger card you will still have other issues.

Your PSU for starters. 135w It would depend on how many amps you have on the 12v rail. If it isn't enough then you would have to upgrade your PSU. Even if things work out it will be better then what you have.

It still will be not great and issues playing some of todays games. So that is why I say don't sink money into a sinking ship. Save it and get a better rig all the way around. You have waited this long.

But it is up to you not me and what ever way you go you will still be able to get help from Tom's. I wish you good luck on your quest and I hope things work out for the best.

nate1613

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
thanks a lot sir. i really appreciate what you've just said.. now i wont really spen my money on upgrading it,i'll just buy a new one! thank you sir!! :)

rajyohanson

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Totally agreed, you would have to upgrade so many angles of your box you can build a new one outright for just a bit more, and get what you want instead of what you are bound to. Good luck!

DM186

Splendid

You are very welcome and good luck to you.

nate1613

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

sir what is this? - "i7-2600K @4.2 GHZ -Asetek 510LC 120mm Water Cooler-1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 3.5in HD-Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600 mhz 4GBx4 (16GB)-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit- MOBO Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 - EVGA 2x GTX 550 Ti's-Xtremgear 800w-Thermaltake MK-1 case "

is this your customized desktop??

DM186

Splendid

Yes this is my rig that I game on and surf the web do prodjects and e-mail etc. My CPU is OC'd that is why you see it shows i7 2600k @4.2GHZ.

nate1613

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
woah!!that's so cool!! how much did it cost??i was planning to just build a gaming pc from scratch and i am planning to have the same specs like yours.

DM186

Splendid
It cost me $1600.00. Just remember not to get the GTX 550 Ti's and the PSU Xtremgear 800w. If I could do over I would not have bought thoes items. If you can afford it I would go with-

-the GTX 560 Ti's or get the new GPU's that will be out in the next two months like the 660 Ti's and for the PSU's you want brands like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic,and XFX brands.

Before you build check back on this fourm and list what you are going to put to gether and get advice from the community and they will let you know if it is good or bad. I do wish you good luck on your fucture build.

nate1613

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
sure thing sir..thanks! i would keep asking you guys for help, though i know for sure it would really take me a long time to build a rig like yours,, i have to save money for it yet.lol

sumid

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

How much sure are you about the 4GB? The specs are saying 2GB is the top (yeah the chipset allows 4). Any resource to someone who did already try it?