Solution
OK, so the build will work, but I am lost on a few things:
1) so you are going to buy a 2500K now, when the IB version comes out in ~3 weeks? Why not just wait?

2) While 1333 is fine (I use it myself), 1600 is generally only $5-10 more, and IB will take up to 2800 which isn't really available yet. In short, go with 1600, it is not that much more.

3) Avoid rosewill PSUs (or anything they make that has electrical components in them). You are on the right track getting an 80+ Bronze or better power supply though. Stick with Antec, Cooler Master, Thermaltake, Silverstone, Seasonic, Corsair, SPI, PC Power and Cooling, or even OCZ. Just don't get anything made by Rosewill except for card readers and cases.

4) If you end up waiting...

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I would say everything looks hunky dory. Your PSU isn't too much overkill. I run an AMD 955 Phenom II Oc'd to 3.8 and a gtx 460 Oc'd to 900/ 1900 Which I'm sure sucks much more power than what that rig would be pulling in and I'm using a 550 W Antec PSU. in an antec 1200 with a boat load of fans.

I've heard of people with an i5 @ 4 GHZ+ and a 7870 with a modest OC on a 450 watt. I'm sure it's a reputable brand.

It'll beast through most games @ 1080p with 60fps or higher. at settings of high/ultra and appropriate AA/AF settings, too.

The RAM will hinder overclocking. I'd suggest bumping it up to the ripjaws or sniper model if you want to stick with gskill (8gb 2x4 1600 ripjaws will run $47).

You can make up the $10 by getting HIS 7850 ($240). looks like the one you selected is out of stock anyway.

firo40

Splendid

You silly boy he dosnt have to overclock using the FSB the 2500k has unlocked multipliers, there for the ram can be any frequency ignorant of the cpu frequency

Serrix

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

I wanted a modular PSU instead of messing with one that looks like a giant octopus

Serrix

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

I did see the HIS one, i'll probably drop that in to save my money.

Serrix

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

Ahh thanks! For awhile I did want an AMD build but then I figured if I have the money, i'll just buy an i5 and get a Radeon, and since the 7xxx came out, I figure i'd try them out. When Ivy Bridge comes out, I want to get one of those to OC and to use the PCI-E 3 or PCI-3 slot (whatever its called) to its full usage.

PCIe3, PCI-E (more commonly PCI-X) is a doubble length PCI card for large industrial server cards for things like 8GiBit fiber connections, and big RAID cards which is still in use today.

OK, so the build will work, but I am lost on a few things:
1) so you are going to buy a 2500K now, when the IB version comes out in ~3 weeks? Why not just wait?

2) While 1333 is fine (I use it myself), 1600 is generally only $5-10 more, and IB will take up to 2800 which isn't really available yet. In short, go with 1600, it is not that much more.

3) Avoid rosewill PSUs (or anything they make that has electrical components in them). You are on the right track getting an 80+ Bronze or better power supply though. Stick with Antec, Cooler Master, Thermaltake, Silverstone, Seasonic, Corsair, SPI, PC Power and Cooling, or even OCZ. Just don't get anything made by Rosewill except for card readers and cases.

4) If you end up waiting for the IB release in a few weeks then wait on purchasing other parts as well (unless on a good sale). GPUs in particular will continue to drop in price as more of the new gen cards become more readily available.

Everything else looks great, should be a good build!

Solution