jasonwr6000

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Hi,

I just want to get some advice on choosing a PSU.

The two I’m trying to decide between are:

Corsair HX 650 $129

OCZ ZT 650 $120

So which is the better PSU, and which one should I go with ?

The OCZ is fully modular whereas the Corsair is semi

The OCZ has a bigger fan 140mm whereas the corsair is 120mm
( would the 140mm fan on the OCZ make it quieter than the corsair ? )

Apparently the OCZ has a continuous output of 650W of power. Im not sure if the corsair has a continuous output or is it just 650w peak power ? ( does it really matter ? )

OCZ is 5 year warranty
Corsair is 7 yr

So based from the info above which one should I get ?

Which is a better brand in terms of reliability and quality?

Please don’t recommend any other power supplies as I definitely want modular, and have decided between these two models

Thanks in advance

P.S

I was at another website looking at different power supplies and one comment I read about OCZ Power Supply was “ its compatible with Sandy bridge CPU’s ” …..

This confuses me as I didn’t think a power supply needed to be compatible with a CPU ?
I know a motherboard has to be compatible with a CPU but I didn’t think a Power supply needed to be compatible with a CPU ? Can you please explain this.

I will be getting the i5 3550 so can I assume this CPU will be compatible with either of the above Power supplies ?

Cheers

Solution
G

some of the pin outs, which ones a D shaped and which ones a square, are different between the ATX and EPS. so they are really covering all the bases having both.
sorry i missed the antec/seasonic question. they are different manufacturers but are both great quality. you can't go wrong with either PSU.
That compatible with so and so cpu thing is just marketing hyperbole. Ignore it.

Corsair has a better track record with PSUs than OCZ, so based on that, I would go with the Corsair. Also, I don't think the difference between 120 and 140mm fans would be audible.

jasonwr6000

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

Thanks for that

HX650: Made by Seasonic for Corsair and will be 80+ Gold with the longer warranty; to me there is no comparison between the two and the extra $9 is well worth it for the product that you are receiving. What are your system specs? A 650W PSU s overkill unless you're going to CF/SLI. Much better deal for the money right now is the Seasonic S12II-520: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094&Tpk=s12ii%20520 Awesome PSU and great deal. I'm running an HD6950 on the modular version of this PSU; it is quiet, rock solid rails and a great warranty from a great mfr.

jasonwr6000

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Hi thanks for your reply, its appreciated …

I just have another question for you if that’s ok…..In your reply to my post you mentioned about the corsair HX being 80+ Gold

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same corsair , as the one im looking at is 80+ bronze not gold ?

Also, in your last message you mentioned that 650W would be overkill if I’m not going to SLI.
I’m not going to SLI , but I really want a modular / semi modular PSU.

I was looking to get a PSU of about 500w but the only one they stock where I am is the Antec 520…. I thought there’s not much of a difference between 520w and 650w so thought the corsair would be a better option / brand ? what do you think ?

Im from Australia so cant get from Newegg. Theres only one good computer shop where Im from and they only Power supplies they stock that are modular are:

Corsair Hx 650
OCZ ZT 650

Antec HCG-520M 520W
Seasonic M12II Bronze (520W)

So since you have helped me choose the Corsair over the OCZ, can you please help comparing the Corsair hx650 to the new Antec one and the seasonic one

Here are their specs from Newegg. The prices below are for what I can get them for where I’m located in Australia

Corsair HX 650 $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012&Tpk=corsair%20HX%20650

Seasonic M12II Bronze 520W $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

Antec HCG-520M 520W $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371058

So from the 3 above, which is the better buy now ?
Many Thanks.
Jason

I was looking at the HX750 which is actually 80+ Gold. Looniam s correct in that all three are mfr by Seasonic; all of them are top-tier PSUs that I would ave no issue recommending. Choosing based on price is not a bad suggestion. I personally would go for the M12II-520. I own one and have been running an HD6950 system on it with absolutely no issues; rock solid voltages and it is silent. Review of the non-modular version at one of the top PSU review sites(only difference is the cables): http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185 The HCG-520 is based on the same design and is also extremely well reviewed at another to review site: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-High-Current-Gamer-520-W-Power-Supply-Review/1399 You wouldn't go wrong with either of one, but I'd lean towards the Seasonic due to my personal experience with the PSU.

jasonwr6000

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Thanks for all the replies.... I think I might go with the seasonic M1211 520w purely because I dont think i need the 650w that corsair has. If corsair had a 500W modular I would probably go corsair.

I just have a final question about the M1211 before i close this thread.

When I look at the pics of the M1211 it shows 3 cables attached to the PSU.... The Main 20+4 pin, a 4+4 Pin, and an 8 pin..... Is the 8pin the EPS12V ?
[

why have an 8 pin plus a 4+4 ? Why don’t they just have the 4+4 so you can either use the 4 or the 8? Im confused......

Also, I was reading that " Seasonic makes PSU's for other companies, including Antec and Corsair...

Does this mean that the Antec Antec HCG-520M 520W is virtually the same as the Seasonic M12II Bronze 520W ? ? as they are both 520Watts

If it is virtually the same, I might as well go for the Antec as its $15 cheaper ..... Please advise,,,

Thanks again

G

Everything You Need to Know About Power Supplies
EPS12V connector: This 8-pin connector has the same function as ATX12V, i.e., to provide electrical current to the system CPU. Since it has eight pins instead of four, it is capable of providing more current. Not all power supplies and not all motherboards come with this connector. On some power supplies, the EPS12V connector is obtained by putting together two ATX12V connectors. If your motherboard and your power supply both have this connector, use it instead of using the ATX12V one.

did that answer your question?

jasonwr6000

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

Yes it did answer my question, Thanks

But im stil confused as to why have a 4+4 and an 8 pin, if you can just combine the 4+4 to obtain the 8 pin.... it seems useless to have the 8pin if the PSU already has the 4+4....

Can you please answer my question about the Antec HCG-520M 520W being the same as the Seasonic M12II Bronze 520W , just diifernent branding ?

Thanks

G

some of the pin outs, which ones a D shaped and which ones a square, are different between the ATX and EPS. so they are really covering all the bases having both.
sorry i missed the antec/seasonic question. they are different manufacturers but are both great quality. you can't go wrong with either PSU.

Solution

jasonwr6000

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

Oh ok.

Since they are both good quality, I think i might get the Antec HCG-520M as its $15 cheaper. I notice the Antec one does Not have the 8 pin, it just has the (4+4 Pin )

Will this be fine for my motherboard ? I noticed my motherboard has an 8 pin Socket....

The motherboard Im getting is the " ASUS P8H77-M Pro "

Thanks
JW