Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build won't boot with RAM in a certain Channel

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2012 5:08:59 AM

At first I thought it was a fan problem since the fan wouldn't work in the 3 pin header. It is working now, which made me think that it just wasn't booting so the cpu fan wasn't spooling up. My suspicions were correct, when I installed a single stick of RAM into my board it worked fine, even two sticks. Only in a certain array though.

My board is a gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud3. It's a brand new build. I'm currently breadboarding and it won't boot if any RAM is present at all in Channel A ( the marked channel here: http://i.imgur.com/Zq374.jpg).

Both sticks won't work in Channel A (above) but either or both sticks will work in Channel B, and the system will boot. Is this simply a faulty motherboard?

Thanks a bunch.

More about : build boot ram channel

April 13, 2012 5:10:15 AM

Most motherboards actually suggest using A2/B2 (white slots) for 2 RAM sticks. I don't know why, but it's just the way it is. Don't know for Gigabyte, but that's how it is on ASUS boards.
m
l
April 13, 2012 5:21:52 AM

Yeah, so does the gigabyte. However I can only use B1\B2 slots together. Any RAM in A1\A2 will cause the system boot to fail. Thanks anyway.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 5:29:42 AM

I don't believe you're running dual channel then.
m
l
April 13, 2012 5:33:18 AM

rma the mobo
m
l
April 13, 2012 5:36:50 AM

motherboard user manual page 16 to put correctly memoery sticks that they will work on dual channel
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:00:25 AM

gary1 said:
I don't believe you're running dual channel then.

Yeah that's the problem. If I use the dual channel slots, the system won't boot. So I have to run single channel mode with memory in b1\b2.
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:02:25 AM

Tavo_Nova said:
rma the mobo

This looks like the likely option, thanks mate.

scout_03 said:
motherboard user manual page 16 to put correctly memoery sticks that they will work on dual channel

That's the problem. I can't run them in dual channel, as the motherboard won't boot. I have to use b1\b2 aka channel B sockets to get it to boot, which will cause it to run in single channel. Thanks anyway.
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:22:44 AM

What RAM are u using?
m
l
April 13, 2012 12:19:50 PM

nikorr said:
What RAM are u using?

Sorry, I should've mentioned that.
G.skill ripjaws 1600mhz 1.5v

It's an i3 2130 cpu.
I hooked up the computer and it's running (awaiting OS install), however I have to have both DIMMs in the same channel, on opposite memory slot colours to get it to boot. I might try adding another set of RAM, but if it won't boot with 4 sticks in I'll probably get a replacement motherboard. Thanks.
m
l
April 14, 2012 2:04:33 AM

for dual channel board use slot one to the right and slot 3 from the right the white ones
m
l
April 14, 2012 9:36:05 AM

scout_03 said:
for dual channel board use slot one to the right and slot 3 from the right the white ones

As stated above, any sticks in the left channel will cause the system to fail boot.

I'm gunna RMA the board anyway.
m
l

Best solution

April 15, 2012 2:03:40 AM

take the serial number of the motherboard and revision one before you send her to rma so you will see if you got a newer one for your rma
April 16, 2012 9:19:23 AM

scout_03 said:
take the serial number of the motherboard and revision one before you send her to rma so you will see if you got a newer one for your rma

Thanks, that's very good advice. I have noted the SN.
m
l
!