mysterykid

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I recently decided to put together a budget gaming rig with an Intel G530 CPU 2.40 GHZ. I didn't have a lot of money at the time. (and still don't).
I want to upgrade to either an i5 or i3. I want to know if an i3 2120 would be good enough, or should I just save up for the 2500k?

I'd save up for an i5. Going from a slower dual core, to a faster dual core with hyperthreading isn't a huge upgrade. The i3 is still adequate for most titles. However, there are some games out there that will be held back by a dual core CPU. If you don't plan on doing a new build for a while, you probably are better served getting the i5, so you have a quad core CPU.

Assuming you have a P67 or Z67 chipset motherboard, then it would make sense to save up for an i5-2500k CPU. Only those chipsets will allow you to overclock an i5-2500k, otherwise it will just run at stock speed.

I'm guessing an i3-2120 is selling for around $130 while the i5-2500k is around $220 so the difference is not very big (depending on how much money you earn per week). I believe the i5-2300 sells for around $180 so if you do not have a P67 or Z67 chipset motherboard, then that could be a relatively cheap alternative.

mysterykid

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I run both i5 and i3.
what's the main intended usage for this unit, gaming.?

bottom line is that you can start out with the 2120 and do just fine and have the i5 as an upgrade path.
starting out with the i5 of course is better but the i3-2120 is a hell of a starter chip.
I even run an i3-2120 on a Z68 motherboard..
My current build is: (Don't Laugh)

Asus P8Z68-V LX
intel g630 @ 2.4 GHz
Gtx 550ti (super clocked version)
4gb Corsiar vengeance (plan on getting another 4gb)

I'm not planning on doing any heavy gaming. (I have a PS3 and xbox 360 for that) I just want to be able to play Starcraft II, Diablo 3, Skyrim, Portal 2. Will the i3 be good enough to run those games at a decent frame rate, and will there be a noticeable difference if I only have a gtx 550?

mysterykid

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
not laughing, economical unit you have, I likes.
I have a i3-2120 and GTX 550-Ti OC'd unit in-house myself.

to answer your question, yes it would.
But would that difference be significant enough for the i5. Would I be able to play most games on medium/high settings at decent frame rate with just an i3?

G

for the money the i3-2120 is an extraordinary cpu. i was extremely surprised how well mine has done in the gaming i do; BFBC2, cyrsis2, far cry2, and rage.
however given the chance i would like to get a i5-2400 (along with a gtx 570) not because of performance now but for what may come down the line later.
if you can't see yourself getting another $70 for an i5 then get the i3 and you will be happy. but if you can hold out a short time and get the funds for an i5, you'll be happy longer . . .

diet_pepsi

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
+1 for urban legend

The 530 is a very underrated chip -- I am running three of them and believe me these are solid units.

Best thing to do is to try to run your games with your current setup. If you don't like the way they play then you can pull the trigger on the i3. My suspicion is that you will be pleasantly surprised with your 530 and will be able to hold out for your i5...

diet_pepsi

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
in the end you really want the i5 and by starting with the i3 it givers you more options for upgrade.
a Z68/Z77 motherboard allows for Ivy Bridge as well.

set for a few years to come.

But he's not starting with an i3 -- he already has started with the 530.

diet_pepsi

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
right.
but if finances do not permit for the i5, I'd start with the i3 for an upgrade.
my bad if I wasn't clear..

add SSD and the goodies as well..
:D

Got it -- I'm just wondering that, since he is running a 550ti, maybe the 530 would be sufficient until he can save enough for the i5?

The charts that you included above have those processors are running an ultra-card (7970 or something like it).

TRENDING THREADS