Need upgrade advice for an older PC

My friend has a Dell dimension 4700c :pfff: :
Pentium 4 CPU - 3.0 GHz - 2gb ram - 300gb had
pci-e x16 slot for graphics card.

He is currently using the onboard graphics. He would like to be able to hook his computer to his TV to watch downloaded / streaming video using HDMI.

Whats the best bang for his buck, that will work for that computer?

What would be the cheapest way to go?

Thank you for suggestions in advance.

**EDIT** Its a "compact" case - so its looking like reviews say it needs a "half height" graphics card ? *Low profile same thing?*
**note** DC power supply:
Wattage 160 W
270 W
Heat dissipation 460.7 BTU/hr
Voltage (See the safety instructions
in the Product Information Guide
for important voltage setting
information.)
fixed-voltage power supply — 110 V at 50/60 Hz
manual selection and auto-sensing power supplies — 90 to 135 V at
50/60 Hz; 180 to 265 V at 50/60 Hz; 100 V at 50/60 Hz for Japanese
computers

I pulled that from the dell documentation. Hope that helps.
10 answers Last reply
More about need upgrade advice older
  1. Erm, a low profile Nvidia GT220/210 or AMD HD5450 should do the job just fine. Both cards are cheap and easily found in low profile.
  2. My main concern seems to be, not so much locating a low profile card, but weather the PSU unit can handle said card. thoughts?
  3. xxzabxx said:
    My main concern seems to be, not so much locating a low profile card, but weather the PSU unit can handle said card. thoughts?

How many amps does it say on the 12v rail? It should show a label on the PSU it self. Are you saying that the PSU is 160w to 270w?
  4. I'll have to crack it open in the AM to check about amps - i pulled that info directly from dells .pdf for the comp.
  5. Here's one of the only half-height cards on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129175

Though to use HDMI you'd need an adapter.
  6. Remember what I said about the part to make sure that the end is also a half size as to the rest of the card is. jessterman linked a card that is both the card and the end.
  7. I don't think that is much to worry. As far as it goes, most low profile cards come included with low profile brackets as well. They are easily interchangeable to suit and fit different chassis sizes.
    Such as Asus'
    They may appear to be full height but can be converted to half-height. Though, it is always best that you check first.
  8. 100100 said:
    I don't think that is much to worry. As far as it goes, most low profile cards come included with low profile brackets as well. They are easily interchangeable to suit and fit different chassis sizes.
    Such as Asus'
    They may appear to be full height but can be converted to half-height. Though, it is always best that you check first.

^^
    You know what? You are right, I totally forgot that they come with the low profile card, hey thanks for the catch.
  9. One thing to keep in mind. Not all half height (low profile) cards come with a low profile bracket. Hence, it is most important to check beforehand. I would roughly guess around 5-10% of them do not come with it. Why? I do not know.
    Also bear in mind, some passive cards may have passive coolers which exceed the width of the card even if the PCB is half height. This may be a problem for certain slim cases.

On the topic of the Dell Dimension 4700C. What I've managed to find out is that Dell offered an optional graphics card within the system. As you might have guessed, it is a half height card. Said card is ATI Radeon's X300SE.
    The X300SE appears to draw ~90W when idle and ~150W during load. That is slightly more than the HD5450 or GT210. Sounds like it would work.
    But, then again I do not know if Dell changed the PSU for the models with the X300SE. If they didn't, it looks like a PSU with 25-30 Amps on a +12V rails is all that is required. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product