Question about the FX-4100/4170

Neodemonflare

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hi, just have something of a query... which hopefully some of you fine people can help me with :). Hopefully this is the right place to be asking. Basically what I'm wanting to find out is if this would be a good upgrade from an Athlon X2 260. Preferably I'd been wanting to go with a Phenom X4, sadly they are getting hard to come by.. and over here in Australia, somewhat expensive now (having said that there are a couple X6 1045's reasonably priced).

This is an upgrade for my uncle, over clocking isn't really a requirement, gaming wise he only really plays RTS's (I am thinking of introducing him to Skyrim, being a big fantasy fan).

Current parts that I assembled on the cheap are.
CPU: Athlon X2 260
MOBO: GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H
PSU: Cooler Master 500W
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 1600 4Gb
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6770 1Gb GDDR5
HDD: Caviar Blue 500Gb System and programs, 1Tb Caviar green (everything else).
Case: Generic tower used to house his Pentium 4

Thanks in advance for your input :D.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
getting a fx-4170 would be a considerable upgrade.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

However, your motherboard is an am3 motherboard. Fx cpus require an am3+ motherboard. However, i believe you can use the fx cpus with a bios update.
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3789#sp

edit: there seems to be different versions of your motherboard. The one that is compatiable with the fx cpus is the (rev.3.1). you should verify your version.

Solution

Neodemonflare

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hi, thank you for your replies :D (very useful), sorry I could post a message sooner, just got to look at the motherboard today and indeed it is a revision 1 version... making it effectively AM3 only. So it's looking like I'll be trying to find a Phenom II.

Nekulturny, thanks for the recommendations, I'll check soon if newegg will ship over here, if so those are pretty decent prices. If not I'll see if I can somewhere that offers international shipping (or maybe even within Australia).

Computernewb, that was a handy little chart, I hadn't been able to find anything yet even remotely comparing the two CPU's.

Again thank you.

*Edit to add update*
Newegg doesn't ship internationally, I have found a Phenom II X4 945 (not a black edition) for $122... but the search continues.. I may use that as a fallback.