Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX680 won't fit into bracket

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2012 6:38:53 AM

I recently bought a ZOTAC GTX680 and am building a new PC.
I put everything together and tried to install the 680.
When I push it down. It clicks and fits. But I CANNOT screw it into the bracket with the 2 screws. It doesn't fit. If I push it up with force it OR install it half way - the 2 bracket holes show.
My motherboard is an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 and Silverstone Raven RV02 case.
Is there a way to make it fit? Please help.
Also - if I can't make it fit - will the video card hold in its place without the 2 screws? The Silverstone Raven RV02 places the motherboard at a 90degree angle and the video card is hand down.

More about : gtx680 fit bracket

a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 6:55:24 AM

You wouldn't want to rely on the PCIe connector on the mobo and the PCB of the graphic card to provide structural support.

Picture?
Score
April 13, 2012 8:03:13 AM

Thats the view from the top. You see how the 2 bracket holes are blocked? I tried everything. The mobo is in the perfect place on its standoffs..6 of them if I remember.
No matter what I try..I push the card in and it fits in well..but then I can't put the screws in. Could it be a case flaw or the mobo or the way the graphics card is?
Score
Related resources
April 13, 2012 8:05:31 AM

The only way the bracket holes show is if the card is barely in... not even 1/4 of the way in the slot.
Also when I put it all the way in, the back of the card with all the connection slots (HDMI,etc.) isn't straight.
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 8:14:43 AM

Remove everything on the PCIe/PCI and reinstall the GPU first.

Loosen the mobo mounting screws to give the GPU a bit more "flex" to work with.
April 13, 2012 8:42:48 AM

Pyree said:
Remove everything on the PCIe/PCI and reinstall the GPU first.

Loosen the mobo mounting screws to give the GPU a bit more "flex" to work with.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I loosened up the mobo a little bit, then i also turned the case, put in the gpu and it fit and the bracket holes showed. I tightened the gpu with the 2 screws and then the mobo screws just a little. Thank u so much!! Now i can sleep good :D 

Btw just how tight do the screws on the mobo have to be?
Can u damage it if you tighten it up too much?
Score
April 13, 2012 8:43:20 AM

Best answer selected by Noobatpcbuilding.
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 8:44:51 AM

Just enough to have a firm hold. Don't over tight the screw.
Score
April 13, 2012 8:50:05 AM

Yea thats pretty much how I did it. Thx again!! Spent the last 8 hours building everything..didnt want to end the night with a problem :/ 
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 8:52:20 AM

You are welcome.

Just come back and make another post if you run into any more problems (I actually hope you wouldn't have to).
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 8:53:14 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
Score
!