Overclocked 6950 1GB vs stock 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveSirZaphod

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hi! I'm looking for a new card to replace my rather ancient GeForce 9500 GT. I've narrowed it down to the following two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125385

The first is a XFX 2GB version at 800mhz. The other is the Gigabyte offering that is clocked at 870mhz. However, it only has 1GB of VRAM. They're priced within 4 dollars of each other, so my only criteria is performance.

I'm not particularly interested in overclocking them myself. I might be at a later time though. I'm usually playing FPSs, along with some other genres. I'm also a sucker for a good RPG. My monitor is at 1920x1080. Eyefinity is possible in the future, but not that likely. I'm also slightly interested in the whole unlocking the extra shaders idea.

Thanks for any input.

Specs...
CPU: AMD Phenom II 1090T Hexacore
RAM: 4GB
PSU: 650 watt

Solution
At 1920x1080 2GB RAM won't benefit, so you said you are likely going to stay with it. Which means you better go with 1GB. However, when you decided to eyefinity those monitors, the 1GB one is going to be probably lack of VRAM, so if you get 1GB, you will have less upgradebility. Note that you are going to get probably the same performance of 1GB to 2GB when you only run single 1920x1080. The Gigabyte one is going to be having a better cooler though. So I vote neither. You decide, I'm just explaining here...

Oh yeah, like a week ago there is MSI Twin Frozer III selling about the price of the gigabyte one, really nice deal I believe, but now its gone :'(. Too late....

blindwhatif

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
beautiful cards i must say!
i read that even 70 mhz difference in core clock can make a good difference in speeds.
but also the 2 gb is very nice to have! tough decision =/

the gigabyte will run a lot cooler just from looking at it, compared to the XFX

if you go with the 2gb, you can easily overclock it to 870 or past it.
u can do better with 2gb with higher resolutions, and more.
but yeah either way you're getting a powerful card haha im jealous!

my vote goes to the XFX. hope you enjoy your card whichever one =)

At 1920x1080 2GB RAM won't benefit, so you said you are likely going to stay with it. Which means you better go with 1GB. However, when you decided to eyefinity those monitors, the 1GB one is going to be probably lack of VRAM, so if you get 1GB, you will have less upgradebility. Note that you are going to get probably the same performance of 1GB to 2GB when you only run single 1920x1080. The Gigabyte one is going to be having a better cooler though. So I vote neither. You decide, I'm just explaining here...

Oh yeah, like a week ago there is MSI Twin Frozer III selling about the price of the gigabyte one, really nice deal I believe, but now its gone :'(. Too late....

Solution

BraveSirZaphod

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Reading around, I've heard some stories that XFX cards like to overheat. Would I still be able to overclock it to 870Mhz? My case doesn't have the best air flow, so heat's pretty important for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.