ernestscott31

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Hello,
I built my desktop a little over a year ago and recently a family member spilled a soda in it through the top exhaust fan. The power supply is on the bottom so it landed on all the components. I took everything out and cleaned it with electronics cleaner but when i reassembled it, it would flicker on but then off. I replaced the motherboard with the exact same model and it powers on but nothing else. I tested the voltages out the psu and they were all good but the video card fan want spinning. I replaced the video card with the same model and now the fan spins but same problem. The computer powers on and all the fans work but no video. It powers on then powers of and then powers on again and stays running. I reset the bios and only have 1 stick of memory in and disconnected everything else. Im thinking I'll have to replace the cpu but i want to be sure before buying another one.
CPU: Intel i5
MB: MIS P67A-G45
GPU: EVGA GTX 460SE
PSU: ANTEC 650W
RAM: Corsair 2GB(x2)

tijmen007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
CPU's hardly ever break, let that be clear. It is more likely that your motherboard received a punch from a shortcut caused by that soda. If you can, try out your CPU on another motherboard, fat chance it still works.

Best advice I can give is trying out each component in another computer you know still works, EXCEPT the powersupply.

In short: your motherboard is probably dead.