Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My new system seems slow already?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 13, 2012 11:18:33 AM

Hi all, my question is about my newly (Q4 2011) homebuilt computer system that seems slow already. Sometimes when I play online games, they lag, and sometimes when just in a normal home use the computer takes a lot of time to open some programs and folders etc. Even my schools computer runs the online games better :s

My setup is:

Asus M5A99x motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 processor (overclocked at about 3,9GHz)
6Gb of RAM (Kingston HyperX 1600mhz)
EVGA GTX550 graphics card
Seagate Sata3 500GB HDD 7200rpm
Western Digital Sata2 500GB HDD 5400rpm
500W power supply

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and it is installed on the Sata3 HDD. I was thinking about buying a SSD where I would install my OS. I don't think it matters anything but I'm using 1920x1080 resolution and HDMI cable. Thanks for any replies!

More about : system slow

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2012 11:53:51 AM

Honestly that sounds like an internet problem. What kind of internet do you have? Do you have other computers in the house to see how well they do these things? And what kinds of games are you playing?

Our systems are almost identical, with the exception of our RAM. Honestly 6GB isn't very much, I can burn up 6 gigs per Windows Task Manager pretty easily.. I'd consider upgrading it or adding more.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2012 12:02:22 PM

You have it OC'd, so double check your temps.

Any chance you already have a virus?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2012 12:04:11 PM

Make sure that Windows, your programs, and the swap file are all on the Seagate drive. At 7200rpm, it will be notably faster than the 5400rpm WD.
It does sound a lot like an Internet speed issue.
A GTX550Ti isn't exactly a speed demon, but would be just as fast today as it was when new.
What background programs do you have running? Is the Asus AI-Suite one of them? Turn that off and see what happens.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2012 12:11:15 PM

Onus said:
Make sure that Windows, your programs, and the swap file are all on the Seagate drive. At 7200rpm, it will be notably faster than the 5400rpm WD.
It does sound a lot like an Internet speed issue.
A GTX550Ti isn't exactly a speed demon, but would be just as fast today as it was when new.
What background programs do you have running? Is the Asus AI-Suite one of them? Turn that off and see what happens.



I don't know about the HDD speed making a difference, I have a 2TB 5900 RPM that I boot Linux on, it doesnt seem any faster than my 7200RPM Caviar Blue. And the 5900RPM is SATA II and the 7200RPM is SATA III.

At any rate, yea the 550TI definitely isn't the best out there, but its adequate for any game on the market.
April 14, 2012 11:33:38 AM

First of all thanks for all the fast replies!

nekulturny said:
Honestly that sounds like an internet problem. What kind of internet do you have? Do you have other computers in the house to see how well they do these things? And what kinds of games are you playing?

Our systems are almost identical, with the exception of our RAM. Honestly 6GB isn't very much, I can burn up 6 gigs per Windows Task Manager pretty easily.. I'd consider upgrading it or adding more.


We have a 24 MB/s internet connection (coming in at about 13-16 MB/s usually with speedtest.net). Yes we have 3 computers in the same network and usually 2-3 on at the same time. My father and mother are using the other 2 so they shouldn't use the bandwidth a lot.

I've been thinking of upgrading from 6GB to 8GB (2x4GB) and maybe going from 1600MHz to 1333MHz, if it makes any difference.

4745454b said:
You have it OC'd, so double check your temps.

Any chance you already have a virus?


I have Core Temp installed and always checking the processor temperatures. In normal use they go from about 30-40 and when gaming the top temperature has been about 50-55 (not online gaming).

As to the irus problem, can't be sure ever... I'm using Avast Internet Security and it's updating daily. Gonna make a full system scan when I get back home.

Onus said:
Make sure that Windows, your programs, and the swap file are all on the Seagate drive. At 7200rpm, it will be notably faster than the 5400rpm WD.
It does sound a lot like an Internet speed issue.
A GTX550Ti isn't exactly a speed demon, but would be just as fast today as it was when new.
What background programs do you have running? Is the Asus AI-Suite one of them? Turn that off and see what happens.


Yeah they're all there. I'm using WD only to store music and games. I bought the GTX550 only because at that moment I had quite strict budget so couldn't afford better :/  When I get enough money I'm upgrading RAM from 6GB to 8GB and maybe GTX550 to GTX560.


Thanks everyone! I try decreasing the OC and doing the virus scan when at home.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 11:44:47 AM

jappe66 said:
First of all thanks for all the fast replies!



We have a 24 MB/s internet connection (coming in at about 13-16 MB/s usually with speedtest.net). Yes we have 3 computers in the same network and usually 2-3 on at the same time. My father and mother are using the other 2 so they shouldn't use the bandwidth a lot.

I've been thinking of upgrading from 6GB to 8GB (2x4GB) and maybe going from 1600MHz to 1333MHz, if it makes any difference.


No problem, the fast replies come often (like now) because my phone vibrates every time someone replies to a thread I posted in.

Stay with 1600mhz RAM. It runs at 1333mhz by default, if you overclock on the reference clock, you're also overclocking the RAM. At 4.0 (222x18) my RAM is running at 1484mhz. The 1600mhz rating is what speed its guaranteed to be able to run at by the manufacturer, it doesn't necessarily have to run that fast, it may run faster or slower.



Quote:
I have Core Temp installed and always checking the processor temperatures. In normal use they go from about 30-40 and when gaming the top temperature has been about 50-55 (not online gaming).


Thats exactly where it should be, theres nothing wrong with a heat issue.


So I think we come back to low RAM and/or a software problem. Running a virus scan and checking all system drivers would be my next step, if necessary a clean install of Windows7.
April 14, 2012 6:38:36 PM

nekulturny said:
No problem, the fast replies come often (like now) because my phone vibrates every time someone replies to a thread I posted in.

Stay with 1600mhz RAM. It runs at 1333mhz by default, if you overclock on the reference clock, you're also overclocking the RAM. At 4.0 (222x18) my RAM is running at 1484mhz. The 1600mhz rating is what speed its guaranteed to be able to run at by the manufacturer, it doesn't necessarily have to run that fast, it may run faster or slower.



Quote:
I have Core Temp installed and always checking the processor temperatures. In normal use they go from about 30-40 and when gaming the top temperature has been about 50-55 (not online gaming).


Thats exactly where it should be, theres nothing wrong with a heat issue.


So I think we come back to low RAM and/or a software problem. Running a virus scan and checking all system drivers would be my next step, if necessary a clean install of Windows7.


Allright, thanks :)  How about if I get a 60GB SSD drive (or 120 if the prices come down) and install Windows there, shouldn't that make the system a little faster as well?
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 12:13:27 AM

jappe66 said:
Allright, thanks :)  How about if I get a 60GB SSD drive (or 120 if the prices come down) and install Windows there, shouldn't that make the system a little faster as well?



You'd be miserable with a 60 gig drive. 120 at the very least. But it sounds like the computer is running slower than it should because of something hinky. so fix that before you run out and get new parts lol.
!