Which components should I get?

LawrenceClegg

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I saw this thread by MacHooper so I decided to copy the structure.

Approximate Purchase Date: The next few months

Budget Range: £750

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Hackintosh!!! Video Special Effects and Editing,Gaming (BF3, Mass Effect 3, Crysis 2, EVE Online and other new games) Web Browsing, College Work

Parts Not Required: Monitor (I will be upgrading it after I get this computer though), OS, HDD, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Aria.co.uk novatech.co.uk amazon.co.uk

Parts Preferences: Intel processor

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Probably, I wan't this PC to be future proof

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 and will go for 3 monitors eventually.

Additional Comments: I would like a nice case

Here are the parts I have so far:

Antec Three Hundred Case - Black - No Psu

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3

Intel i5-2500k OR Intel i7-2600k

Gigabyte Radeon HD6870 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit

Crucial m4 SSD 64gb

Ok the one thing I am stuck with is seeing as I have to wait a few months for the money anyway, would it be worth going with ivy bridge or should I tick with the I5 2500k? AND should i get the i5-2500k or the i7-2600k

Thanks for the help guys I have been asking new build questions on this forum a lot haha sorry about that

you pay $100 more with the 2600k because of hyper threating. Unless the game is supporting that feature you won't see a difference.
i have the 2550k running at 5ghz and I have no problems with it

i also see people disable hyper threating to get a higher overclock so i think its not worth getting that cpu in the first place

you also have a SSD but what about HDD
64gigs is not enough for all your games and os

kcsmacker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Also if you are purchasing in the next few months I would wait for Ivy Bridge and see what people get on Overclocks and performances. the new i5 will be about the cost of the 2500k and 2550k

ebola28

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
my vote is for the ivy version of the 2600k for your Video Special Effects and Editing. Would help with that a bit. gaming alone, Alvine is correct.

Just make sure you can get driver support for your choice in mobo and SDD for OSX Lion. There are a few really good hackintosh sites out there. It's not as easy as building a PC and installing Lion. Have to be smart with your hardware purchases