Better between Core i3( Gen 1) , Pentium Dual Core (Gen 2), Amd A4-A10

Status
Not open for further replies.

notebookhelp

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi All,

Looking to buy a laptop mainly as a developer machine for programming(Netbeans IDE, Web server and MySql sever running as background processes all the time) and viewing occassional HD videos, Word etc...

Perhaps need some MultiTasking capability as well (multiple Firefox/Chrome Tabs/Windows open simultaneously for viewing programming modification/ output, some music software/internet radio streaming and as mentioned before Apache Web Server and Mysql server are always running in the background)

I have the following questions based on above criteria:

1)Which one is better in performance and multitasking out of the above 3 ?

2)I am assuming Core i3( 2nd generation) is better than all the 3 above ... ?

3) Does AMD even have anything comparable to Intel's Core i3 (1st and 2nd generation both) in terms of performance ?

I would possibly like to stay within similar budget as for laptops with the above cpu's.

I have done a bit of my research but just need to re-confirm i am on the right track. have not kept up with the hardware updates lately...

All help is much Appreciated.

Solution

The Pentium has significantly higher single/dual-threaded performance than the first-gen i3 which has something oh a quad-threaded performance lead. The A10s beat the i3s in quad-threaded performance too, granted they lose in single and dual threaded performance kinda badly...
The change from the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors to the 2nd generation Intel Core processors should yield a 10% to 15% performance increase for the 2nd generation processors at the same speed. So with the 2nd generation processors you can count on getting better performance at the same or close speeds.

notebookhelp

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Thanks Christian for pointing that out... So does that mean that a 2nd generation Pentium Dual Core will perform better than a 1st generation Core i3 at the same speed ?

I suppose 1st generation Core i3 has better multi threading support ... how much difference does that make when comparing for multitasking ?

@jay_nar2012 that article is more oriented towards gaming/graphics (with a graphics card as an add on)... i need more simpler explaination in terms of the criteria i specified above...

Perhaps someone here can answer about how/what AMD cpu's are comparable to the ones from Intel ...

notebookhelp

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
@looniam i was asking about which AMd cpu's are comparable to the above intel cpu's ?

Also, as Christian mentioned above since the 2nd Gen processors have better architecture than the 1st generation processors they perform better .... in this case Pentium Dual core which is a 2nd generation should perform better than the 1st generation Core i3 if they have similar speeds...?

The 1st gen i3 and the 2nd gen Pentium CPUs that have been listed here would have very similar gaming performance. Some games would probably favor one over the other, but the Pentium's wins would probably be by greater margins. The 2nd gen i3 would sometimes be similar to the 2nd gen Pentium here in performance, but other times would be a good deal ahead, depending on the game. Whether or not you could see this even if the graphics didn't become a bottle-neck before these CPUs do are other things to consider.

AMD's closest mobile CPU performance would probably be some of their Trinity APUs or maybe also some of their Phenom II CPUs. The A4s would probably not come close in CPU performance under almost any circumstances, but the Trinity A6s, A8s, and A10s and also maybe some of their Phenom II CPUs could have comparable CPU performance in many games and the quad core models might be able to win in highly threaded games that can also make good utilization of at least three threads. However, whether or not you'd get any benefit from going Intel over AMD or AMD over Intel in this situation is up for grabs. I think that either one would be a fine choice right now, depending on the models and prices.

G

no AMD cpu will compete with an intel except on the graphics side of it.
AMD A10-4600M

look at the middle column under Other CPUs of the series AMD A-Series to Surrounding CPUs and see where the top AMD mobile cpu is ranked.

also your second question is answered in my last post. a first generation i3 is better than a second generation pentium because the i3 supports
Hyperthreading enables the Dual Core CPU to handle 4 threads at once

The Pentium has significantly higher single/dual-threaded performance than the first-gen i3 which has something oh a quad-threaded performance lead. The A10s beat the i3s in quad-threaded performance too, granted they lose in single and dual threaded performance kinda badly unless they have optimal scheduling in the workload (which Windows never does properly) and even with proper scheduling, they would still lose, but not nearly as badly (it would cut the loss down substantially). Proper scheduling being letting one core per module idle while the other core in the module does the work, letting the module's resources be more focused into being used by the active core. Yes, this is a proven phenomenon and increases the integer performance per core per Hz by about 25%.

Whether or not the Pentium or the 1st gen i3 wins here would depend on how well-threaded the game being played is. A game such as BF3 MP or WoW (current version) would probably favor the first gen i3, but many other games would favor the Pentium. Modern games are becoming more and more well-threaded, so over time, (ironically) the older 1st gen i3 will get more and more of a lead over the 2nd gen Pentium, but it will never get very high because no matter how well-threaded a game is, the Pentium still has a significant performance per core advantage and the same number of cores as the 1st gen i3 in question here. The i3's Hyper-Threading Technology is not enough to make up for this because logical threads aren't anywhere near as effective as physical cores. Three logical threads can't beat a similar physical core.

Also, keep in mind that everything that I said about the Pentiums and i3s are specifically referring to the Pentium and the i3s that were listed here. A much higher frequency 1st gen i3 could take the single/dual threaded performance win away from the Pentium listed here.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.