Ok let me get everything out straight.
Computer specs
Motherboard: Asus m5a97 pro
CPU: AMD fx 4100
PSU: Corsair 600w
RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB (2x4gb)
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6790

I have not overclocked this GPU..

Right. All drivers and installed and clearly i have enough power.
If im just using the PC for office use its fine, everything goes smoothly. How ever i want to play games! When running BF3, Warhammer 40k:Space marine or even WoW, im either having BSOD or the Computer will just freeze up all together. More commonly the PC just freezes up.
I just want a fix for this, i've only been using the PC for a week. I've contacted XFX about the problem but haven't had a word out of them.
Thanks to anyone who contributes :bounce:

crazydiv566

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

When idle, 37 - 40, when running bf3 your talking 63ish? This is what i don't understand, theres no way its an over heating problem

daship

Distinguished
sounds like a driver issue, the latest drivers automatically overclocked my 5770 and i was experiencing the same issues you describe, I went in CCC and changed everything to stock and all is well now.

crazydiv566

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

I've had a go at changing everything to default if thats what you mean, no luck

crazydiv566

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I'm going to try an older driver someones recommended, if not im going to try the card in a friends system and if that fails i'll be onto XFX for a replacement

crazydiv566

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Ok guys, my fix, not sure if its relevant, but i've reverted back to 11.5 drivers instead of 12.1 and also flashed my bios with an update suited for my FX processor, seems to have done the trick, thanks for all the help :)

BamaFratz

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
I have an XFX HD 6790 and at default settings under load it will crash when running Benchmark programs, or under load playing games. I downloaded the program MSI Afterburner utility. I lowered the default memory speed from 1050 to around 1025 and it runs stable now. The catalyst drivers will not let you lower them from the default, only raise them. Suprisingly the MSI utility works on the XFX card. You can raise the GPU speed, but for the memory the only way it is stable is to lower it. I have a support trouble open with XFX as the card is supposed to have a lifetime warranty, maybe they will replace it.