Not sure if power supply or...

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Basically about 2 weeks ago I bought a custom pc with parts chosen from me and help from some people, and got the employees at the store to build it for me.
At first everything ran smooth, games like skyrim and crysis were playing at just about fully capacity with no problems...after a couple of days, after about 10-20 minutes of playing, the screen would go black, the gpu fan would stop spinning and id have to reset the computer.
I turned down the specs on the games to see if it would help, and it did, but the same thing would still happen after a while.
I checked the gpu temperatures and they were where they are supposed to be when idle and when gaming, since at first I thought I bought a defective video card, but now im thinking it might be the psu since I read a review on it and it was pretty bad. Heres that the review said.
"Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs. It can’t deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit’s labeled capacity (i.e., 600 W and above), overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damage components."
which is why im here now asking if anyone has the slightest clue of what is going on.
Thanks for your time.
PC SPECS:
asus p8z77-vlx motherboard
intel core i5 3570k 3.40ghz processor
8 gigs corsair vengeance ddr3 ram
nvidia geforce gtx 560 graphics card
thermaltake TR2 RX 750watt bronze certified 80 plus power supply unit
Edit/Delete Message

I think the writing is on the wall. Go out and get yourself a good power supply and see what happens. Even if the culprit is not the PSU at this time, you are insuring yourself against future problems by replacing it now.

I haven't read the same review on that psu but I have not heard any good about the thermaltake psu's. In fact I had a 1200w thermaltake that caught fire inside my computer and am thankful it happened while I was sitting at the computer or it could have done some serious damage to not only my computer but also to the rest of the room or even the haouse. The good news is nothing was damaged inside the computer and the psu was RMA'd.
So the power supply could be the reason for this problem and you can certianly do an RMA but you don't really want them to just fix it and send it back to you which is what they did to me. You should makean attempt to get the place you bought it from to take it back and get a different brand.
There is another cause for this crashing and that is it could be a corrupt bios or defective bios chip. Before sending the psu back try reloading the bios file or updating the bios. You may not have directly done anything to the bios but sometimes there are other things that could affect the bios.

CAMILOGOD

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
thanks for the reply, I want to get a corsair psu anyway since ive been hearing nothing but good things, but will the store take the thermaltake back and let me exchange it for another one? I did just spend $1300 there.