Is it safe to replace the graphics card and cpu in an Alienware laptop?

sureiyaa

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
One of my friends recently built a new computer and gave me his old Alienware m15x-R1 laptop. I wanted to replace the processor and graphics card. Would this be good to do?

Have you screwed up a laptop upgrade? I've done several upgrades to my laptops and some friend's laptops without any problems. I've upgraded RAM, CPUs, and hard drives. Graphics can sometimes be upgraded. High-end graphics is more likely to be upgrade-able since high end graphics is more likely to not be integrated into the motherboard or CPU.

Alienware laptops probably all have discrete graphics cards so upgrading is possible so long as the laptop doesn't already have it's best possible configuration.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
the small improvements and high cost of upgrading the GPU or CPU (only when the laptop does not already have the best config) dont make it worth it.

often you can purchase a newer and more powerfull laptop for the cost of the upgraded parts.

RAM & HDD is an easy upgrade for any laptop but once those are done its about as fast as its going to get.

Small improvements? It depends on the difference between the previous CPU/GPU and the new ones. Sure, going from a 6900m to a 6990m won't give a good difference, but going from 6700 to 6800 or 6800 to 6900 cards will be a greater difference.

Also, the better CPU/GPU don't need to be expensive, just go to ebay.

sureiyaa

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
It has a 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo and a GeForce 6800m. I also have someone who can perform the upgrade for me. Can anyone tell me what I should buy to upgrade to? I know it isn't the beat configuration because he bought either the cheapest or second cheapest he could.

You can try Google to find out all supported CPUs, graphics cards, and RAM configurations. You can definitely get a better CPU and video card, but I don't know if a laptop that old would support the newest video cards. However, it can almost certainly support faster graphics than a Geforce 6800m.

Again, try Google to find out what it supports.