Solved

802.11g vs. 802.11n, 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had some input regarding the different WiFi standards and whether it'd be worth it or not to make any adjustments.

So I finally got my internet installed at my new place (Comcast 12/3 Mb, currently Speedtesting at 25/4 - must be a new customer gimmick) and was wondering about routers.

I have an ancient Linksys 802.11g router, but was wondering if it would be a notable difference to get a newer 802.11n router. And if I did go the 'n route, would it be best to run in 2.4 GHz, 5, or both?

I live in a studio apartment, so the range wouldn't matter. I was just looking what would be the best bang for my buck. The g router seemed to work well enough in my last place, but I was wondering if the difference would be that significant to be running on an all 'n network.

Thanks for any input
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    802.11g max speed is 54Mbit which would be enough for browsing the internet.

802.11n max speed is 450Mbit which is great when streaming video over the network. Also it has a better coverage area.

personally a dual band router might work great when you have many wireless devices like cellphones, laptops, desktops which can make use of the different frequencies.

I found out that the 2.4GHz band width worked better for me through walls made of dense materials like concrete than the 5GHz.

also if you decide to buy a new router get one that has gigabit ports and at least 300 Mbit N-wireless

not to many computers support 5GHz mainly cellphones.
  2. Well, all I really have is my MacBook, which works with 802.11n 5 GHz. I don't really connect my phone to WiFi at home often. My new place is also a studio, so walls wouldn't matter since there are none between myself and the router.

I was looking at getting the Apple AirPort Express, but I wasn't sure if its performance equaled its price. I'd really rather not even consider the Extreme, I'm sure there's an another manufacturer who can provide the same performance for cheaper. $159 is a bit much for just a router, imo (edu pricing).

Apple has an info page, but doesn't list the transfer speeds anywhere for either.

http://www.apple.com/wifi/ and also clicking each for detailed tech specs
  3. from my experience any router will do.

I have a Linksys E2000, which can either do 2.4GHz or 5GHz (but simultaneously), and my friends Mac work just fine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124386&cm_re=e2000-_-33-124-386-_-Product
  4. Best answer selected by malman89.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers WiFi Wireless Networking Product