Sign in with
Your question
Solved

802.11g vs. 802.11n, 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 3, 2011 2:00:14 AM

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had some input regarding the different WiFi standards and whether it'd be worth it or not to make any adjustments.

So I finally got my internet installed at my new place (Comcast 12/3 Mb, currently Speedtesting at 25/4 - must be a new customer gimmick) and was wondering about routers.

I have an ancient Linksys 802.11g router, but was wondering if it would be a notable difference to get a newer 802.11n router. And if I did go the 'n route, would it be best to run in 2.4 GHz, 5, or both?

I live in a studio apartment, so the range wouldn't matter. I was just looking what would be the best bang for my buck. The g router seemed to work well enough in my last place, but I was wondering if the difference would be that significant to be running on an all 'n network.

Thanks for any input

Best solution

July 3, 2011 1:01:35 PM

802.11g max speed is 54Mbit which would be enough for browsing the internet.

802.11n max speed is 450Mbit which is great when streaming video over the network. Also it has a better coverage area.

personally a dual band router might work great when you have many wireless devices like cellphones, laptops, desktops which can make use of the different frequencies.

I found out that the 2.4GHz band width worked better for me through walls made of dense materials like concrete than the 5GHz.

also if you decide to buy a new router get one that has gigabit ports and at least 300 Mbit N-wireless

not to many computers support 5GHz mainly cellphones.
July 3, 2011 2:17:31 PM

Well, all I really have is my MacBook, which works with 802.11n 5 GHz. I don't really connect my phone to WiFi at home often. My new place is also a studio, so walls wouldn't matter since there are none between myself and the router.

I was looking at getting the Apple AirPort Express, but I wasn't sure if its performance equaled its price. I'd really rather not even consider the Extreme, I'm sure there's an another manufacturer who can provide the same performance for cheaper. $159 is a bit much for just a router, imo (edu pricing).

Apple has an info page, but doesn't list the transfer speeds anywhere for either.

http://www.apple.com/wifi/ and also clicking each for detailed tech specs
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2011 12:41:54 AM

Best answer selected by malman89.
m
l
!