Sign in with
Your question

AMD 955 BE High Temps Help

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
July 26, 2012 7:05:28 PM

Hey everyone, looking for some advice on my CPU temps. Here's my rig:

AMD P-II X4 955 BE (OC to 3.8 GHz at 1.4v)
ASRock 870 Extreme3
MSI 7850 TF2
8 GB Gskill 1333
Zalman CNPS9500A
CM Centurion 5 case

On idle I run 43-44, in games I average high 50s to low 60s, and under full load in P95 I hit 69 max. Ambients are in the 23-26 range.

I've got an 80mm front intake fan, a 120mm rear exhaust fan, and an 80mm side intake fan. I've also got this POS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

which is mounted under my 7850. I reapplied thermal paste (AS5) like 5 days ago and have seen a minimal decrease in temps. Before application, I idled around 45 and hit mid 70s in P95. With an aftermarket HSF, 2 case fans, and fresh AS5 application, I can't help but feel these temps are still abnormally high. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Does my case have poor airflow? Are my case fans configured correctly? Do I just suck at applying thermal paste?

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : amd 955 high temps

a c 138 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 26, 2012 7:07:08 PM

it,s too hot 69C drop your OC first also vCore, and than fix cooler , maybe rpalce thermal paste also
m
l
Anonymous
July 26, 2012 7:27:43 PM

henydiah said:
it,s too hot 69C drop your OC first also vCore, and than fix cooler , maybe rpalce thermal paste also

I'll run some tests at lower clocks/volts when I get home, but I know the last time I did it, it didn't make much of a difference. What's wrong with the cooler? It's not a Hyper 212, but the Zalman has gotten great recommendations.

I've been thinking it has to be the thermal paste. Let me ask you something that's been bugging me. If I lift the HSF from the CPU once it has been greased, is that bad and should I start over? Like, say the grease has been applied to the CPU and I lower the HSF onto it, but I don't think it's centered completely so I lift the HSF off of the CPU to move it slightly. Does that break the seal immediately and require a reapply?
m
l
Related resources
a c 138 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 26, 2012 7:33:08 PM

yep .. so must double check maybe thermal paste too tigh .. or fan not righ position (or the fan is not spraying in the HSF) also try in out case
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 27, 2012 12:31:31 AM

Which way is the Zalman pushin air? It should be up (into the bottom of the PSU) or rearwards (towards the rear 120mm (which should be blowing air out of the case))
Do you have the zalman set on high speed ?

as for the pcie slot cooler. it looks like the rear fan (the orange one in the pic) is blowing air out of the case. If its mounted lower than the gpu turn that fan off, you're pushing cool air out of the case. Use the directional fan to blow air towards the gpu fan.

That case is not a great case for overclocking builds as there is not enough airflow. heck its probably not enough for a good gaming rig period. It needs a bigger fron intake fan or two and at least a spot to mount a 120mm side fan.

If heat issues still persist, remove the side cover and point a fan to the interior .
m
l
Anonymous
July 27, 2012 5:41:50 PM

popatim said:
Which way is the Zalman pushin air? It should be up (into the bottom of the PSU) or rearwards (towards the rear 120mm (which should be blowing air out of the case))
Do you have the zalman set on high speed ?

as for the pcie slot cooler. it looks like the rear fan (the orange one in the pic) is blowing air out of the case. If its mounted lower than the gpu turn that fan off, you're pushing cool air out of the case. Use the directional fan to blow air towards the gpu fan.

That case is not a great case for overclocking builds as there is not enough airflow. heck its probably not enough for a good gaming rig period. It needs a bigger fron intake fan or two and at least a spot to mount a 120mm side fan.

If heat issues still persist, remove the side cover and point a fan to the interior .

The HSF is pointed toward the 120mm exhaust to blow air out, and it is set to high speed.

Thanks for the tip about the PCIe fan, I wasn't really sure of the best way to configure it and when I first put it in it didn't seem to do much to help my temps.

I figured the case isn't the best for airflow, but here's the thing:

Back when I built this rig 2 years ago, my idle temps were right around 30 on stock HSF, stock thermal grease, and stock clocks/volts. I was even running a GTS 250 at that time, which ran much hotter than my current 7850. When I got my Zalman and AS5, I didn't really see any further drop in temps, and over time it seems to run hotter and hotter.

I turned the CPU down to 3.2 GHz and 1.35v and I get 41 idle and 62 load. I feel like it has to be the thermal grease at this point because I don't see any other way to explain such a rise in temps compared to when I first built it. The stock HSF came with a peel-off layer of thermal grease which made application much easier for me, especially since I had never done it myself before.

I'd be more inclined to believe it's a problem with my case if I hadn't already witnessed much cooler temps. I'll try reapplying again this weekend and this time I'll be sure not to lift the HSF from the CPU at all.

(edited for clarity)
m
l
!