RAM issues; MemOk! worked once, but no more.

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
This original problem has been solved. There is still an issue, but it is not what is described in this post. It is described 15 or so posts below this one. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, this is my first post here! I've been reading articles for a while, but never really jumped over to the forum side until a few weeks ago and figured it was time to make an account since I had specific questions of my own.

Anyways, on to the point. My motherboard died on my older Gateway Desktop (as judged by a friend that works with Geek Squad), so I figured, "What the heck, I'll just build my own system." since I had at least some experience in replacing parts and partially tearing mine apart and rebuilding it. Now when i say "build" I already had a couple of aftermarket parts I would be carrying over, along with my HDD.

Well I thought I had done reasonably thorough research at the time of purchasing my parts. I made sure to match the CPU/Mobo (which apparently is a common mistake?) for compatibility, read a ton of reviews on each piece I purchased, bought the right type of RAM, and already had a video card and PSU (more on these coming up..). What I didn't consider was a case. I can't believe it didn't dawn on me to compare dimensions... But that's another issue! I have a case that fits my board now, lol.

Before I get into specific issues, here are the brand new parts I have...
- Case: Cooler Master Elite 430
- Mobo: ASUS M5A97
- RAM: 2GB x2 G.Skill Ripjaws (1333/10666)
- CPU: AMD Athlon II x3

And the carried over parts (all aftermarket except the HDD, like I said)...
- HDD: 7200rpm WD 640GB installed with Vista x64
- GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4850x1
- PSU: OCZ Mod X Stream 500W

Alright. Let me say that I feel like the PSU is the problem at this point. That's just a guess though, since I have no way of testing or swapping for a known good one.

The issue I'm having is that my system starts up, fans and lights all work, HDD spins and makes the exact same sounds it would make while it was going through the boot process (I'm accustomed to it after 4 years haha), but the display remains completely black. Obviously, I can't see if it's actually booting or not, but the HDD definitely sounds like it is (which is most likely irrelevant) although I can't see how it would be. On my graphics card, the little red light is on, but it was never like that in my old build. I know it's possible, but the likelihood of it dying between transferring builds is extremely low since there was no light on when it was in the old computer even after there was no booting. Is there not enough power flowing through the system? Before you say it, there is no on-board video to test with.

I'm also getting no beeps from my system when I try power it up. I have carefully read the mobo manual and double checked my system MULTIPLE times to make sure everything is connected correctly. The 8-pin and 24-pin plugs are in completely and correctly, as well as the 6-pin video card plug (have checked and rechecked ALL plugs and pins at least 10 times now). The processor is in correctly, as it only fits properly one way with the pin pattern used.

I got no system beeps under any on these circumstances:
- One stick of RAM (tried both sticks separately in multiple slots each)
- No RAM at all
- No video card plugged into power
- No video card plugged into power or VGA
- No video card plugged into anything at all (PCIe, power, or VGA)
- No HDD plugged in

Anyways, I know all about parts being DoA once in a while and it could be that. But let's assume all of the new parts work fine for now since I seriously have no way to test anything with my lack of parts I have no "known working" PSU, since mine is extremely suspect. I really don't think I'm up to test voltages or anything on the PSU either. I have virtually no experience with direct electricity and would rather have help sitting next to me if I have to deal with it for the first time.

Should I just replace my 500W for the 600W version? I really can't think of any other option at this point. I don't really mind spending the money since it's a new system anyways, but I thought the 500W would work so I kept it around. And, honestly, I don't even think it's faulty personally. I would wager more towards the fact that it's just too weak for this build (even though it's almost 150W above what was figured out to be needed).

Thanks in advance for any help. I will check back here later and hope to find my answer.

Edit: I forgot to mention I also tried clearing the CMOS, and it did not solve the problem.

Solution
For every connection there is 2 sides. RAM errors could be from either the RAM or the motherboard. So your motherboard isn't off the hook.

Did you try each stick in each possible port and none of them allow the computer to work correctly?
Before we move forward with actual testing, is your monitor plugged into the video card? I expect not, as you've used it before, but if you've got it plugged into the mobo then your problem's solved.
A decent 500W PSU, and OCZ is decent, is far more than enough for this build. Unless it's somehow suddenly gone bad, the PSU shouldn't be the issue. Does your Geek Squad friend have a build of his own?

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Have you tried connecting the monitor to a different port on the graphics card? You system might only be outputting a video display through one port, unable to define the correct one on it's own. You may need to get an adapter to do this.
If no-go, then try the same things you've done with your graphics card your other pcie slot. If it works there, then you have a bad pcie slot.
I appreciate your thoroughness in your report on this matter. It helped a lot.

The electricity thing sounds more intimidating than it is.

If you change your mind about testing if the PSU is DOA, you can just disconnect it from all devices, take the big fat cable and a paper clip folded into a U and put one end in the single wire that is a different color (probably blue or green, there is only one of them that is different from all the others) and the other end in a black one.

If you were holding the paper clip with no leather work gloves on then electricity would enter your body when you did this, but the colorful line is very low voltage and very low AMPS so you wouldn't feel this level of wattage in you.

Anyway, if it didn't turn on, the PSU would definitely be DOA.

If you do that stuff and the result is that it is not DOA

OR

If you just skip doing the stuff above

then the next thing I would suggest would be to do the following things:
1) disconnect everything.
2) take everything out of the case
3) put everything on a wooden table
4) put the CPU + FAN and the RAM in the motherboard
5) plug the PSU twice into the motherboard
6) use some metal object like the previous paper clip or a flat screw driver and use it to touch both pins listed as PWR_BTN in the motherboard manual at the same time.

If you do this, you can rule out the case as being the source of the problem.

- Edit - Clarity

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Does your monitor show anything, like "input digital or analog" or "color setting" when you turn it on? If you don't get any message, the monitor might be not working properly. If you have a laptop, try to connect it to the monitor if it works.

What port do you connect between monitor and PC? Try the motherboard port (either DVI or D-sub, whichever the monitor also has) by removing the graphics card. If this setup shows something on monitor, that means the graphics card or PCI connection has problem.

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Kajabla:
As of now, my monitor is plugged into nothing except the wall and a Video Cord leading to nothing. I have been sure to actually plug that cord into the monitor AND video card at the same time though, yes.

And my friend does have his own custom build, but he is out of town until this coming Tuesday, and I don't exactly feel right disturbing him on his vacation. I suppose I could just take it in, but they might charge me if he's not working, so... :p

Stingstang:
I did not actually think to try an HDMI cable, but I know I do not have a DVI cable to swap with my usual cord. In fact, I'm not 100% sure and I will check, I'm not sure my monitor has an HDMI port. It's from mid '08, so... But that will be the very next thing I check after I finish this reply!

MKBL:
When I turn the monitor on (regardless of the power and video card situation with the tower itself) is shows the Gateway logo and then just says "No signal!" with the RGB boxes underneath. This is what it does if you turn the monitor on without the computer itself being turned on under normal circumstances, but it does this in ANY situation now. Also, my motherboard has no video availability whatsoever without a standalone graphics card, so that's not really an option. Unless i'm misunderstanding you?

Raidinn:
For your steps 1-6, my case works as far as the built in fan, blue LED's, and power buttons. Before I tear apart my system completely again, am I misunderstanding, or would something else be wrong with the case?

Thanks a lot by the way you guys! Didn't expect so many responses so fast. :)

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I don't believe that's the issue, but I will check it out, thanks.

Also, my monitor doesn't have an HDMI port, but my TV does! I will give that a try right now and edit this post with (lack of?) results

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Just set up my computer to my TV. Same situation as before; no video, no beeps.

However, my TV does not let you select the "HDMI1/DVI" source unless there is something plugged into it and being used. For instance, when my Xbox 360 is off, I cannot select the HDMI setting on my TV until I turn it on. I can select the HDMI setting currently with my rig powered up and plugged into the video card. Still getting the red light on my card and nothing on the screen once again. DVI option is not available, but I don't think it's necessary to test that anyways with the info we have thus far.

I also checked every cable. everything is plugged in tightly and to the right slots. I will double check that everything is actually in the right spots again also, since I don't really know what else to do at this point.

The next step is to move to testing with whatever parts you can find. You probably have friends willing to donate individual parts; see what you can get. A CPU or mobo would be great, as I've seen strange monitor recognition stuff related to CPU issues.

There are a lot of potential problems that can reveal themselves by doing what I suggested.

It may not sound like it will help, but it may help too. Or it may just be a complete waste of your time.

If you don't want to spend the time doing it, then don't worry about it.

Anyway, if you just do that stuff and plug in the video card it may work and I would try it if you aren't too busy.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Hi. All indications are that it is posting and loading things and the problem is graphics related. There have been some good suggestions relating to that. Make sure that you video card is firmly seated in the slot. I am not sure of your Monitor, but some momitors do have switch for VGA/ DVI input and it must be set to whatever input your using. My take is that you are using VGA as you said you had no DVI cable, so it would have to be set to VGA.

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

I was just clearing off my desk again to tear my computer apart, but this is worth checking quick I guess. Thank you for the input!

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

I'm sorry, I must have missed this sentence before... But I did try this already and the stand-alone monitor worked fine through my laptop output.

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

In the second picture, that light is on even though it's hard to tell. It's the D1601 light that signifies Overheating, but obviously the card is not hot whatsoever since it's pretty much not being used. It does that in either PCIe slot.

The fans and whatever couple of lights are left (motherboard and Graphics card) still work under these circumstances though. Other than the fact that there's no HDD, everything is exactly the same. It has to be either a fried video card or a PSU not giving out enough power to the card. Also, still no beeps at all. Even without anything plugged in but the processor.

This determines that the case and HDD are not the issues, correct?

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
*sigh* red light on vid card is off once again when I switch to my dead mobo. Still getting no boot, post, or picture obviously through this board though.

so am I right in assuming that either there isn't enough power for the new build and I need a new PSU, or that there is a problem with the new ASUS board itself?

When you put the metal object on the two PWR_BTN pins at the same time it turns the computer on.

If everything is outside the case just like it would be inside the case and it works, then the problem is obviously a physical one.

It could be that something wasn't seated well in the case and the act of taking it out forced you to reseat that thing or it could be something else.

This action is pretty multi-functional in that way.

In regards to not having any beeps, if the speaker is connected correctly to the audio ports on the motherboard and the PSU is plugged into the motherboard, then there should be some sort of sound coming out of it unless one or the other is broken.

If you are sure that it is plugged in right, it may very well be the motherboard having a problem because the little speaker is not a complicated component and it is kinda hard to screw it up manufacturing wise. At least in relation to motherboards.

If the PSU was too small for the PC, it would likely manifest by the computer turning itself right back off. PSU problems can manifest in a large amount of different ways, but showing no video is not a common one.

The most common reasons for lack of video are that something just isn't connected right or that the video card or the motherboard isn't working.

If you can take the video card out and turn the computer on and not get any beeps, it is more likely a motherboard problem than anything else.

It is nice to have another motherboard laying around to test stuff like these, but obviously it isn't always possible.

You may have to bite the bullet and buy a new motherboard if you don't want to wait around for your buddy to get back. That wouldn't be guaranteed to fix the problem, it would just be the next logical troubleshooting step.

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Oh man, I'm so ready to just start throwing money at it until it works... lol. This is really frustrating! D:

But yes, the entire system is running on top of my desk minus the cd/dvd drive.

I suppose I'll be RMAing the board this week.

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

I will for sure. I'm going to try and get my hands on a stronger PSU as well, but I'm not too sure that will happen (or if it would help anyways).

jkremis

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

I tried an HDMI connection with no luck. Red light was still on as it had been before that. I don't have access to the white plug-in.

Edit:

Just set up my computer to my TV. Same situation as before; no video, no beeps.

However, my TV does not let you select the "HDMI1/DVI" source unless there is something plugged into it and being used. For instance, when my Xbox 360 is off, I cannot select the HDMI setting on my TV until I turn it on. I can select the HDMI setting currently with my rig powered up and plugged into the video card. Still getting the red light on my card and nothing on the screen once again. DVI option is not available, but I don't think it's necessary to test that anyways with the info we have thus far.

This was my result when testing the HDMI port from graphics card to television. I know the cord is good and tv works. I have my laptop using the same HDMI cord and TV hook-up as I type this reply.