Cannot open desktop properties

November 7, 2004 8:52:03 PM

When I right-click on my desktop and hit properties, the window does not
open. Also when I go to the Control Panel and to Appearance and Themes, when
I click any of the four of the links to change the computer's theme, desktop
background, screen saver, or screen resolution, the desktop properties window
still does not open. I was wondering why this is happening, and what I can do
to fix it. Thanks.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:58:40 PM

Will this open Display Properies?

Start | Run | Type: control desktop | OK

If it opens, does it have all five tabs?
=====

Read the instructions at the top.

177. Restore the Web Tab - Display Properties

203. Restore Display Icon in Control Panel

227. Right hand side
Restore/Enable Screensaver Tab Settings/Display

282. Enable the Appearance Tab - Display

285. Right hand side
Restore All Display Tabs
===

If you have XP Pro, not XP Home, open Group Policy.

Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
Navigate to >>>
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\Desktop
Themes

See if any of the settings are Enabled.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:89E03286-1570-46B0-B9E7-2AE15C98F88D@microsoft.com,
Larissa <Larissa@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When I right-click on my desktop and hit properties, the window does
> not open. Also when I go to the Control Panel and to Appearance and
> Themes, when I click any of the four of the links to change the
> computer's theme, desktop background, screen saver, or screen
> resolution, the desktop properties window still does not open. I was
> wondering why this is happening, and what I can do to fix it. Thanks.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 10:58:41 PM

When I try that, it says 'Windows cannot find desktop.cpl. Make sure you
typed the name correctly, and then try again.'
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 1:55:49 PM

Very strange. desk.cpl is the file *not* desktop.cpl. desktop.cpl does not
exist in Windows XP.

What happens if you do this...

Start | Run | Type: desk.cpl | OK

--