Cannot open desktop properties

When I right-click on my desktop and hit properties, the window does not
open. Also when I go to the Control Panel and to Appearance and Themes, when
I click any of the four of the links to change the computer's theme, desktop
background, screen saver, or screen resolution, the desktop properties window
still does not open. I was wondering why this is happening, and what I can do
to fix it. Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot open desktop properties

    Will this open Display Properies?

    Start | Run | Type: control desktop | OK

    If it opens, does it have all five tabs?
    =====

    Read the instructions at the top.

    177. Restore the Web Tab - Display Properties

    203. Restore Display Icon in Control Panel

    227. Right hand side
    Restore/Enable Screensaver Tab Settings/Display

    282. Enable the Appearance Tab - Display

    285. Right hand side
    Restore All Display Tabs
    ===

    If you have XP Pro, not XP Home, open Group Policy.

    Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    Navigate to >>>
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel

    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display

    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\Desktop
    Themes

    See if any of the settings are Enabled.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:89E03286-1570-46B0-B9E7-2AE15C98F88D@microsoft.com,
    Larissa <Larissa@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When I right-click on my desktop and hit properties, the window does
    > not open. Also when I go to the Control Panel and to Appearance and
    > Themes, when I click any of the four of the links to change the
    > computer's theme, desktop background, screen saver, or screen
    > resolution, the desktop properties window still does not open. I was
    > wondering why this is happening, and what I can do to fix it. Thanks.

    When I try that, it says 'Windows cannot find desktop.cpl. Make sure you
    typed the name correctly, and then try again.'

    Very strange. desk.cpl is the file *not* desktop.cpl. desktop.cpl does not
    exist in Windows XP.

    What happens if you do this...

    Start | Run | Type: desk.cpl | OK

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:C7008226-E31F-4CF8-9DFB-D01DB65ED23E@microsoft.com,
    Larissa <Larissa@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When I try that, it says 'Windows cannot find desktop.cpl. Make sure
    > you typed the name correctly, and then try again.'

Configuration Control Panel Desktops Screen Resolution Microsoft Customization Windows XP