duramjames

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hello,
I have a ATI Radeon HD 4800 series display adapter. I hooked up my 52" flat sreen to my computer and turned it on and was able to use it. Then the next day I get this blue sreen and it will not work. I have an older system and I tried it on that system and it works just fine. What could cause this. Any suggestions. The Tv is a Polaroid model TLX04011C (HDMI0 HDTV. I have windows 7 on the one that only works once and windows xp on the one that it works on all the time.

duramjames

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
The computer that runs the tv has a Nivida card. I can use it on that one but the screen seemsto jump around like not a lot but you can tell it. I use autocad and was trying to find a bigger screen to work on. The one I have now is a 24" so I might try a 32" The lines on the 52" are distoorted so it will not work for what I need. Thanks for your answer.

randomkid

Distinguished

Your TV have VGA port. Do not use the HDMI adapter & connect with your graphics card via VGA if it have one or a VGA to DVI adaptor if it does not have native VGA.
In my experience VGA provides better picture than HDMI for TV's. I have 4 TV's at home connected to my computer & 3 of them are connected via VGA & one via HDMI. The HDMI has the worst picture.

That's a good point. If your video card doesn't have VGA, but it does have a DVI-I connector you can get a DVI-I to VGA adapter. DVI-I is basically both HDMI and VGA in one connector, you can get adapters to either VGA or HDMI without picture degradation like a VGA to HDMI adapter.

DVI-I has both the analogue VGA signalling and the digital HDMI signaling. Now if we were working with Display port there would be another problem because it uses a different digital signaling from HDMI/DVI.

Still no promise that it will work, but it might help to use fewer/no converters. Converters need to convert the signalling one or more times and that can both cause compatibility and picture problems.

If your video card had an HDMI port and you plugged an HDMI cable, without adapters, into it and the tv there should not be picture quality problems unless you are using a long cord. HDMI doesn't handle long lengths as well as VGA does.

duramjames

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I have ended up using the HHMI cable to plug to the tv and a vga adapter to HDMI and it works ok. The only thing I could do better now is replace the graphics card with a HDMI port. And that's not in the budget yet. Thanks for all the suggestions.