Sign in with
Your question

Custom built PC not booting from USB

Last response: in Components
July 26, 2012 7:39:30 PM

I've recently just put together a new pc. I'm trying to get it to run windows XP. I downloaded a copy of windows XP on my computer and dragged the ISO file onto my USB. I inserted the USB into the new computer and tried to boot from it. Sadly, it would keep saying "REboot and SElect proper Boot Device" Is there any way I can fix this? I can't use a DVD/CD since my optical drive is a CD/DVD burner and not a loader. The USB works on my other computer, but not the one I need to install it on. Is there something wrong with the mobo or anything? Here are the specs:

Mother board: ASUS P8Z68-M Pro LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ6GX3M3A1600C9

Hard Drive: Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - OEM
July 26, 2012 7:42:26 PM

Aren't burners the same thing but their lasers can burn data.
In the bios, try to find a option called boot off removable storage.
July 26, 2012 7:44:33 PM

I had typed out a good bit of info, but I need to make sure of something before I can help you. Where did you get the copy of Windows from? If it was from any place other than Microsoft, I can't help you anymore, and this thread will be closed soon.
Related resources
July 26, 2012 8:31:23 PM

People don't just download and install a copy of XP anymore; you typically have some type of legitimate disc and/or key for XP since it's so old. I don't even know if you can legitimately download a copy of XP from MS or Digital River since it's no longer supported. I question the use of XP being downloaded for a 'new hardware' PC build. Where did you get the XP download?

July 26, 2012 11:44:55 PM

you cant boot from an iso file anyways.
You use the iso file to create a disk. The disk may be bootable or not, depends on the iso. If the disk is bootable then you can use it to create a bootable usb stick. Yuo can google for instructions on how to do that.

To everyone who might flame me for guiding the OP, he either has a valid XP key or he won't get very far anyways. MS cracked down on XP keys that are loose in the net some time ago.
July 30, 2012 9:52:46 PM

there could be multiple reasons why that it won't work:

1. fake version of windows xp

2. usb isn't big enough

3. you could maybe be doing it wrong

4. never use xp because there aren't as many compatibilities with it seeing as how windows 7 is the newest version of windows (unless of course you are beta testing windows 8) so basicly what to learn here is don't make a custom computer with windows xp unless the entire system is geared towards windows xp with older parts.

*as always if i am wrong about something correct me. I don't mind :D  *
July 30, 2012 11:26:36 PM

another , possibly better option: download the win8 beta and use that until win8 comes out. beta user will be able to get the win8 upgrade version for only $40.
!