Solved

New builder needs advice

I have a system that was built for me as follows:
Ultra mid tower case, Intel core 2 quad Q8300 @2.5 ghz,
gigabyte g41m-es2l mbd,
4g crucial mem ddr2 pc25300(333 mhz), had to install this mem because the mem that was installed didn't match
I installed a saphire 5770 graphics card and.
I also installed a corsair h-50 cooler.
500 watt psu.
win 7 pro. 32 bit
needless to say, the folks that built the sys. did not do a very good job.
so far I have bought these components:
antec 302 mid tow. case,
corsair tx 750m psu,
cooler for the southbridge.
i swapped an antec fan for the radiator and installed a antec case fan as well
so my plan is to install everything in the antec case just for practice and the within the next month or so buy a
intel i5 2500k 3.3
asus z68 pro/gen3 mobo.
sapphire 7850 graphics card
win 7 64 bit.
am i on the right trac. any suggestions ?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about builder advice
  1. Don't forget to get DDR3 memory since your future asus z68 pro/gen3 mobo doesn't support DDR2. And get 8GB while you're at it.
    Also will you be overclocking? If not then there's no sense in getting a ''k'' CPU or such an expensive motherboard.
    Other than that I think you're good to go
  2. akxpckwb said:
    Don't forget to get DDR3 memory since your future asus z68 pro/gen3 mobo doesn't support DDR2. And get 8GB while you're at it.
    Also will you be overclocking? If not then there's no sense in getting a ''k'' CPU or such an expensive motherboard.
    Other than that I think you're good to go

    sorry i forgot corsair vengence ddr3 16 ghz. yes i will be overclocking, but slowly at first. i still am new to this game.
  3. I don't see anything about HDD or SSD.
  4. hefox said:
    I don't see anything about HDD or SSD.

    2x500gb. Seagate barracuda.
    i installed everything in the newcase and it won't boot up. all the fans and lights come on. i might have damaged something in removing the northbridge heatsink. i was trying to swap it for a fan cooler.
  5. Take out the ram memory and see if you get any beep from the motherboard.
  6. hefox said:
    Take out the ram memory and see if you get any beep from the motherboard.

    nope. it just stays stuck in a loop. will shut itself off after a few min, then restart over and over.
    and i'm pretty sure about damaging the mbd. because now the heatsink won't even stay in tight like before. i guess i have to pay for an education one way or another. no matter what the outcome, I appreciate you helping me out!!!
  7. Best answer
    I suggest taking everything apart and assemble it outside the case and use only necessary components. I had a similar problem but it was psu related.
  8. hefox said:
    I suggest taking everything apart and assemble it outside the case and use only necessary components. I had a similar problem but it was psu related.

    thank you for that. i'm gonna get on it right away!
  9. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  10. Best answer selected by coffeefoot.
  11. hefox said:
    I suggest taking everything apart and assemble it outside the case and use only necessary components. I had a similar problem but it was psu related.

    thanks for the help. turns out it was the mobo. i got a ga-g41mt-s2pt to replace as well as crucial mem. ddr3 4 g. the whole system seems to be working very well now. thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cases Systems