Your question
Solved

New builder needs advice

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2012 12:24:18 PM

I have a system that was built for me as follows:
Ultra mid tower case, Intel core 2 quad Q8300 @2.5 ghz,
gigabyte g41m-es2l mbd,
4g crucial mem ddr2 pc25300(333 mhz), had to install this mem because the mem that was installed didn't match
I installed a saphire 5770 graphics card and.
I also installed a corsair h-50 cooler.
500 watt psu.
win 7 pro. 32 bit
needless to say, the folks that built the sys. did not do a very good job.
so far I have bought these components:
antec 302 mid tow. case,
corsair tx 750m psu,
cooler for the southbridge.
i swapped an antec fan for the radiator and installed a antec case fan as well
so my plan is to install everything in the antec case just for practice and the within the next month or so buy a
intel i5 2500k 3.3
asus z68 pro/gen3 mobo.
sapphire 7850 graphics card
win 7 64 bit.
am i on the right trac. any suggestions ?

More about : builder advice

April 12, 2012 12:42:22 PM

Don't forget to get DDR3 memory since your future asus z68 pro/gen3 mobo doesn't support DDR2. And get 8GB while you're at it.
Also will you be overclocking? If not then there's no sense in getting a ''k'' CPU or such an expensive motherboard.
Other than that I think you're good to go
m
l
April 12, 2012 12:44:24 PM

akxpckwb said:
Don't forget to get DDR3 memory since your future asus z68 pro/gen3 mobo doesn't support DDR2. And get 8GB while you're at it.
Also will you be overclocking? If not then there's no sense in getting a ''k'' CPU or such an expensive motherboard.
Other than that I think you're good to go

sorry i forgot corsair vengence ddr3 16 ghz. yes i will be overclocking, but slowly at first. i still am new to this game.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 1:34:20 PM

I don't see anything about HDD or SSD.
m
l
April 13, 2012 4:04:15 AM

hefox said:
I don't see anything about HDD or SSD.

2x500gb. Seagate barracuda.
i installed everything in the newcase and it won't boot up. all the fans and lights come on. i might have damaged something in removing the northbridge heatsink. i was trying to swap it for a fan cooler.
m
l
April 13, 2012 10:22:07 AM

Take out the ram memory and see if you get any beep from the motherboard.
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:21:32 PM

hefox said:
Take out the ram memory and see if you get any beep from the motherboard.

nope. it just stays stuck in a loop. will shut itself off after a few min, then restart over and over.
and i'm pretty sure about damaging the mbd. because now the heatsink won't even stay in tight like before. i guess i have to pay for an education one way or another. no matter what the outcome, I appreciate you helping me out!!!
m
l

Best solution

April 13, 2012 2:30:25 PM

I suggest taking everything apart and assemble it outside the case and use only necessary components. I had a similar problem but it was psu related.
April 13, 2012 3:00:55 PM

hefox said:
I suggest taking everything apart and assemble it outside the case and use only necessary components. I had a similar problem but it was psu related.

thank you for that. i'm gonna get on it right away!
m
l
April 13, 2012 8:01:33 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
April 20, 2012 8:06:15 AM

Best answer selected by coffeefoot.
m
l
April 20, 2012 8:10:49 AM

hefox said:

thanks for the help. turns out it was the mobo. i got a ga-g41mt-s2pt to replace as well as crucial mem. ddr3 4 g. the whole system seems to be working very well now. thanks again.
m
l
!