Sign in with
Your question

SLI or nice Single card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2012 10:18:05 PM

ok folks..i think its my graphics card, but asking here to make sure.;

so playing SWTOR today and notice that my computer in SLI is having a few problems drawing things. I get out of SWTOR then my screen goes light blue..

i reboot, and nothing.. no Asus, no beep, no nothing...

i remove one of the sli cards, reboot again.. get a message from ASUS that the system did not post, but it boots normally other than that.

i reinstall second card.. bam.. nothing, no beep no nothing

i remove again and it boots up with the old not posting problem.. any ideas?

More about : sli nice single card

a c 91 U Graphics card
February 5, 2012 10:25:14 PM

check the second alone in the first pci-e slot to see if computer boot
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2012 11:54:20 PM

Better yet, test both cards individually in another computer.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2012 11:57:16 PM

didnt have another computer.. but

tested both in the same pci slot.. one worked the other didnt..

in sli mode nothing works

im guessing dead...

m
l
February 6, 2012 12:05:28 AM

ok.. here is my dilemma..

i was running 2 x nVidia 9800GTX+ cards in SLI on a quad core system 2.8 ghz system (not new i-architecture)

one appears to have died a horrible death.. or is about to after i smash it for not working

i do not want to spend an arm and a leg since im thinking about upgrading computer system as a whole in about 9 months

sooo in order to get same or better performance what do i do with a budget of say $150?

can i still replicate the same performance on that little of a budget?

I have seen an EVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB of memory for $119 after a $20 a rebate.. do i go with that? will that be better than my sli i have currently?

or do i go with two low end cards and run sli?

I should note that besides my business on my computer the games i play are basically just mmos.. SWTOR and WoW
m
l
a c 231 U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 12:27:34 AM

You can use the single remaining 9800 as a PhysX card. A 550Ti fits ya budget but if at all possible, I'd try and move up to a 560 Ti.....the 6870 is another choice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 12:37:48 AM

If you want to do a complete upgrade in 9 months I would either buy a card that you will add to your next build, although in that time all the new cards will be out.

If you were happy with the performance before your one card died I would just replace it with a different one. It shouldn't cost you all that much, I'd say in the $25 to $75 range.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197....
If you act fast you should be able to get this for a good price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-Nvidia-Geforce-9800-GTX-512...
m
l
February 6, 2012 12:42:07 AM

andrewcarr said:
If you want to do a complete upgrade in 9 months I would either buy a card that you will add to your next build, although in that time all the new cards will be out.

If you were happy with the performance before your one card died I would just replace it with a different one. It shouldn't cost you all that much, I'd say in the $25 to $75 range.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197....
If you act fast you should be able to get this for a good price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-Nvidia-Geforce-9800-GTX-512...

is 2x 9800gtx+ in sli going to be better than 1 geforce 550ti?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 1:14:03 AM

One 550ti is pretty much the exact same speed as two 9800Gtx+'s in Sli.
192 cores vs a combined 256 cores. much higher clock speed on the 550ti, as well as it being a single card because two GPU's don't necessarily mean double performance.

If you pay $40 more, you can get the Non Ti version of the GTX 560, which has 336 cores and vastly outperforms both cards.
m
l
February 6, 2012 1:19:51 AM

azathoth said:
One 550ti is pretty much the exact same speed as two 9800Gtx+'s in Sli.
192 cores vs a combined 256 cores. much higher clock speed on the 550ti, as well as it being a single card because two GPU's don't necessarily mean double performance.

If you pay $40 more, you can get the Non Ti version of the GTX 560, which has 336 cores and vastly outperforms both cards.

yea.. im thinking i might have to force myself to the 560..

the performance charts are hard because its not same games they are comparing

just bout an ipad 2 and iphone 4s and a car for the wife so a bit tapped on cash or i would do my new system now and do a 590.. ugh

thx for help.. love opinions
m
l
February 6, 2012 1:24:56 AM

Agreed, going sli for $150 makes no sense. go for one card now. sli 2 good cards when you can :) 
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 4:55:28 PM

your guest is good the one that do not work is dead but if warranty still good ask for rma card from maker
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 5:49:36 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Is my graphics card dead?
    m
    l
    !