is this upgrade possible?

Lee768

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
computer upgrade

am wanting to upgrade my system but am a bit unsure whether it is possible to do the upgrade and keep my newish graphics card.

At the mo my system is:
athlon 1900 xp
512 memory
nvidia geforce 6800
( think it's an asus v9999)
motherboard agp slot only

do not really want to get rid of my graphics card cos upgrade will cost me enough as it is.

I want a core 2 intel 6300 processor with about 1 gb ram and an agp slot. Will my graphics card limit the processor or ram and is this setup even possible? will the upgrade be worth it, i'm expecting quite an improvement?

at a later date i would want to upgrade my card to pci-express, although i would prob need a new motherboard. just don't have that kind of money at mo
i play planetside and at mo my system really stuggles a fair bit, this upgrade will help right?

cheers 4 reading

if this type of upgrade is not possible: intel core 2 and an agp graphics card then would it be worth getting a 64 bit athlon with agp mainboard
with faster better ram?

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
To upgrade to the E6300, you will need a new motherboard, and DDR2, unless you are going to look at a motherboard like ASRock's 775-VSTA or something similar, that can use both DDR and DDR2, along with AGP video.

If anything, list what type of motherboard you have now. That can help, since a CPU upgrade to an X2, if possible, would save you money on motherboard/memory.

I would, if you can, upgrade your current CPU to an X2, and get another 512MB of memory, to even out to 1GB. But if you cannot upgrade your CPU using the same motherboard, then the E6300, motherboard, memory, and PCI-e might be a better value for you. But again, if you can upgrade your CPU to the X2, then that would be the best path for you, right now.

Until you list what your motherboard is, it's hard to determine what would be a cheaper, and better performing path.

MBrookins

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
He has a socket A processor. That means he will need a new MB either way.

OP,

Yes it is possible to do this upgrade like the last poster said you can use a ASRock Vista 775 to do this upgrade and it should be a decent upgrade since you will have 2X the ram and a greater processor. This will also give you a PICe slot for a later video card.

The ASRock Vista 775 has one major limitation you should be aware of. It does not have a PCI-e X16 slot, instead it has a PCI-e X4 slot for the video card. This limitation shouldn't affect current video cards, but future high performance cards might be bottlenecked.

I'm guessing that cards as fast as the nVidia GeForce 7900GT and Radeon X1900XT should no be affected by the limited number of data lanes. However, anything fast may be "choked". I wouldn't bother dropping in a high-end DX10 video card onto this mobo. But mainstream DX10 cards shouldn't be bottlenecked.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
True. The 775-VSTA isn't for high end users, but I have one, with a low/mid ranged X1300 PRO and it runs fine. I just upgraded the memory from DDR to DDR2, though, since it is my HTPC, and it helped the video decoding some.