Looking to decide how to spend 250$

jb3131jb

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hey guys- first time poster, long time reader. Here's the deal. A few years ago I built a gaming PC:
Biostar A770e3 MoBoard
Sapphire 5750 (with the Ice-Q Cooling system)
4 gigs(2gx2) Ripjaws
500 gb Hard-drive
NZXT gamma case.
Anyhow- For my birthday, i got 240 total dollars from my grandparents/family friends etc.I want to upgrade my rig- but do so as linearly as possible- as in I would like to have a balanced and solid system. I use my computer pretty-much exclusively for gaming- so the obvious choice is a new g-card (I was thinking a 560ti 448), but I'm not sure that's worth it considering the rest of my rig. I am open to ANY ideas about how to spend, including to save, but I dont really make money- it's why I am looking to spend right away. (I spend a lot of time in school). Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to hear me out- I'll leave you with a few options i have been considering.
1) More ram. I'm not really a software type guy, but I know I have the 64 bit edition of Windows 7. Is it possible/ worth it at all to upgrade to 8/12 gigs of ram?
2) A graphics card. I am semi-reluctant to go this route, as I am pretty happy with my card now- but an upgrade could certainly be used. If i end up going for something with 2 fans- I dont still want to be using a gamma, that makes me nervous.
3) A new case. This is a really obvious and important part of any computer- and my Gamma kinda makes me nervous nowadays- i dont really trust it. If I go for a new case, I would like something big, with a HUGE side window- I am a sucker for those XD.
4) a combination/ something else entirely. It's why I posted baby!

4745454b

Titan
What CPU/cooling do you have? PSU? Maybe a blu ray reader? High end mouse? Comfy headphones for long term gaming sessions? Bigger monitor? You might laugh at this but a nice desk/chair? (again, for those long term gaming sessions.)

G

though you didn't say what cpu you have . . and that board can be upgraded to a PII x6. but assuming you happy with what you have, hopefully a quadcore, i really would like to tell you to upgrade your gpu (depending what PSU you have) but it sounds like you want a case.

you can find alot of cases for $100 that will have a side window and fit the rest of your needs. as an example:
NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 Elite Black Steel Now: $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146080

and then take the left over 140 and get a HD 670 like:
XFX HD-679X-ZRFC Radeon HD 6790 1GB $129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150564

jb3131jb

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
What CPU/cooling do you have? PSU? Maybe a blu ray reader? High end mouse? Comfy headphones for long term gaming sessions? Bigger monitor? You might laugh at this but a nice desk/chair? (again, for those long term gaming sessions.)
I like this- i have 2 small monitors, 500 watt psu, and an amd athalon x4 3.0 ghz i beleive. Desk is fine, stock cooling on cpu- i do kinda want headphones though. Thanks so much for thoughtful response! :D

jb3131jb

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Ooooh i like that a lot- i may go that route.

4745454b

Titan
Meh. Your case is fine. I'd get performance parts before worrying about case. (function over form.) 500W what? How small are the monitors? With $250 you should be able to buy a nice GPU. I think a 7850 will just fit inside that budget. Sell your 5750 and buy a new set of headphones. You should be in gaming heaven for quite awhile.

GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3: $140 before $10 rebate

That's a good place to start -- from there it's up to you. It's not that Biostar makes bad motherboards, it's just that that one is probably holding you back.

Fancy new air cooling? Water cooling? $20-$100 That will get that Propus quad to 3.5GHz+ unless you have a dud. A 64GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD can be easily had for less than $100.

A second HD5750 should be less than that. HD6850s will continue to drop in price (as will HD6870s) before they finally go EOL

You seem interested in a case -- that will work, but it's more for show :D