Need to find a top mounted case

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I'm looking for a case that has power supply mount, not bottom mounted. I have a problem with insects and they are getting into my power supply and blowing it up.

Looking for a top quality case, around $150. I have 2 HD, DVD as far as drives go.

My current case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I know, and that's what I was looking on, but I don't know a quality case from a hole in the wall, which is why I was asking here.

If you look at my post, I was looking just trying to get suggestions on what a quality case is and gave what I was looking for in a case.

Thanks for posting the obvious.

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Have you tried a filter? Insects can climb...just better they don't get into the case at all. You might be able to use a fan filter or jury rig something.

EDIT: I see from your other posts you have thought of this. Leaving the post for what its worth.

The better the quality of the case the more it costs so at this point the fact that your looking for a top mounted fan to be the solution to the issue is not going to solve your problem. You can use the same case that you have if you take the time to bug proof it. At your local hardware store you can get some screening that's used for window screens and place it over the spaces and holes in your case.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Could someone point out a place to look up a positive pressure enviroment for my case on how to set it up?

I'm going to do searches after I post this, but if any one more experienced can find a post, espeiclaly specifically to my case, would be helpful.

EDIT:
I was clueless as to what &how to set up the fans & from my reading, I should have more intake than outtake fans? Am I understanding this correctly?

EDIT 2:
A picture of my case and fan slots for the case(this isn't my case, just a picture I found): http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2138118

There are 2 vents on the side wall as well not pictured.

How would I go about creating extreme positive pressure?

Yes that is correct , in order to have positive pressure there has to be most of the fans as intake and a few or even one as the exaust.
I don't believe that the positive pressure in the case will keep the bugs out , the filters and screens will do that. The positive pressure is mainly for regulating the temps insde the case and keep them at a stable low temp. I don't put much stock in that and would rather have a good air flow through the case.

What ever fans you put in your case have them as intake except the rear fan. I would would put one in the front one on the bottom floor of the case two on the side panel and two on the top all as intake with the rear fan as exaust.
The good thing about this is that you can easily adjust the fans to be either intake or exaust , just unscrew and flip the fan. Plus you can always get a fan controller for the number of fans you have to have even more control over the fans speed.
If you end up not putting all of those fans then you can block the hole where the fn was supposed to go.

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
most of the cases that include multiple front intakes in addition to side panel fans ( intended as intakes to cool the gpu area ) will be by default a positive pressure enviroment unless there are multiple rear exhuast fan's and or roof exhaust fans ,, that being said I also prefer neg pressure . My earlier comment was based on the stated fact that he was getting bugs in the psu ( rear ) of the case ..i f they're flying insects like those annoying little fruit flies that show up this time of year then the front filters should fix it .. If the they're ( crawlers ) and comming in all over the place then my thott ( half tongue in cheek ) was that the positive pressure would help :)

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Yes, I can see it now...

Playing what ever game it is I happen to be playing then getting the bejeezus scared out of me cause I hear the ZAAAAAP noise when I least expect it.

I know the bugs have gotten to others components of my system, but they haven't messed them up, only the PSU. I don't know if I have enough fans to do a positive pressure system and the new air filters I bought will be used to at least wrap the PSU and change it every so often.