Sign in with
Your question

HD 7950 Choices - Wait for Twin Frozr III?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 10:32:49 AM

'Ello Folks

I have become rather sick of my GTX460s and am going for a 7950.

I Recently put on order a 7950 Twin Frozr III (ETA 8th Feb) but cancelled it due to lack of reviews and the fact that the Powercolour and the Sapphire models of the card look/sound/perform Flawlessly.

Now, I know the Twin Frozr series as a whole has performed much the same (PERFECT) from the the Twin Frozr II/Hawk upwards (Everything from 5770s to GTX580s have had them) however I can't help but think that the Sapphire one is going to be better - despite my hatred for most of their products.

The question is - Do I wait for a Twin Frozr III Review or just go for the Sapphire or Powercolour one? (The ASUS DCU one is out of the question, its too fat)

Any opinions are welcome.

Cheers,

Deadjon
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 1:12:53 PM

i would get the sapphire version, excellent temps, and very quiet. But the twin frozr version are also very good, so it all have to come to your personal choice
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 1:31:46 PM

Dude just go with the reference design, that way you can corssfire with no problems. All these dual fan versions are great for temps and noise, however they dump all that hot air back into your case.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 1:35:37 PM

i have no experience with sapphire but i am well experienced with MSI Twinfrozer III.it's a really good cooler IMO.low noise good cooling and room for higher overclocking.i would suggest getting twinfrozer iii model and OC the Shi* out of it!
;) 
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 1:41:19 PM

Sapphire seems to be the best choice right now when it comes to temps and DBs.
a c 175 U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 1:41:29 PM

I'd say you should not cancel. It's suppose to have higher overclocking capability.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 1:41:41 PM

redeemer said:
Dude just go with the reference design, that way you can corssfire with no problems. All these dual fan versions are great for temps and noise, however they dump all that hot air back into your case.

Firstly - I don't want to Crossfire

Secondly - The temperatures of the GPU are extremely important to me - reference models are out of the question.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 2:00:54 PM

refillable said:
I'd say you should not cancel. It's suppose to have higher overclocking capability.

yes it will overclock... but you don't want leaves blower in your PC either.
Anyway overclocking to the extreme will ruin your card in a long run (or short)
and these card have enough power to run almost everything maxed out
at 1080 without overclock.

My point is there is no need to stress your system to play game at 80FPS if your stock can play at game at 70FPS

a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 2:15:21 PM

maxinexus said:
yes it will overclock... but you don't want leaves blower in your PC either.
Anyway overclocking to the extreme will ruin your card in a long run (or short)
and these card have enough power to run almost everything maxed out
at 1080 without overclock.

My point is there is no need to stress your system to play game at 80FPS if your stock can play at game at 70FPS

Okay first things first.

The MSI Twin Frozr III Cooling solution is generally quiet and effective. Much more so than the Reference.

Secondly

You only ruin your card if you are inexperienced. This is something I am NOT. I have been overclocking since 2004, both Gfx Cards and CPUs (Some of you old farts will laugh at this but cmon, I started when I was 13 xD)

[EDIT] Another thing - OCing is my hobby, and my favorite one at that. the 7950s have insane OCing headroom making them a perfect choice for someone like me.
February 6, 2012 2:24:16 PM

Twin Frozr III is the best cooler in my mind beside ASUS MARS coolers which are super huge. Stick with your order.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 2:27:50 PM

^+100 for twinfrozer iii
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 2:49:02 PM

go for the twinfrozer iii then, you look more into that one
February 6, 2012 2:55:13 PM

As far as I can tell, they haven't even told us when the Twin Frozr 7950's will be available to buy. Based on the reviews, I'd just buy the Sapphire or Powercooler both of which seem quite impressive. I just hope they start getting lots of these cards in stock very soon as I'm ready to buy now but refuse to get price gouged.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:10:56 PM

deadjon said:
Okay first things first.

The MSI Twin Frozr III Cooling solution is generally quiet and effective. Much more so than the Reference.

Secondly

You only ruin your card if you are inexperienced. This is something I am NOT. I have been overclocking since 2004, both Gfx Cards and CPUs (Some of you old farts will laugh at this but cmon, I started when I was 13 xD)

[EDIT] Another thing - OCing is my hobby, and my favorite one at that. the 7950s have insane OCing headroom making them a perfect choice for someone like me.

First yes it is more effective than reference I give you that however card is not out yet so we do not know how effective it is in comp to sapphire yet.

I started when I was 11 and overclocked my first 386dx40 does that makes my an expert? No.
Anyway overclocking of any chip causes excessive electromigration which in long run ruins any microchip. So your statement "You only ruin your card if you are inexperienced" is truly a false claim. Just ask any expert overclocker how many chips did they blow up.
Anyway back to my point... what is the difference between 70 and 80 FPS, except the obvious numerical value? none :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:11:51 PM

i'd go for the sapphire OC version, seems to be the best one yet. also i dont think the twin frozr 3 would be that much better and ofc more expensive.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2012 8:14:19 AM

maxinexus said:
First yes it is more effective than reference I give you that however card is not out yet so we do not know how effective it is in comp to sapphire yet.

I started when I was 11 and overclocked my first 386dx40 does that makes my an expert? No.
Anyway overclocking of any chip causes excessive electromigration which in long run ruins any microchip. So your statement "You only ruin your card if you are inexperienced" is truly a false claim. Just ask any expert overclocker how many chips did they blow up.
Anyway back to my point... what is the difference between 70 and 80 FPS, except the obvious numerical value? none :) 

I have only ruined one chip.

And It still survived 4 Years @ 3.4Ghz AFTER I ruined it (Prior to ruining it it ran @ 3.6Ghz)

I am aware of the risks in Overclocking - and aware how to avoid them. It has now gotten to the point where even manufacturers are Promoting OCing. All it does these days (experience permitting) is reduce the lifespan of the piece of Silicon in question by an insignificant amount for someone who upgrades every 2 years. And In regards to factory overclocked Cards, are they 'Ruining' them? Are they ruining the Card whilst still providing a 5 year warranty on them? I don't believe so.

And if you understood Overclocking as a hobby, you'd understand that the numerical value is quite possibly the most important part of it. I wont see the difference between 130fps and 195fps but it means my PC would be running 50% faster than it was previously. Those numbers might come in handy anyway when playing Metro 2033 Max Settings with Depth of Field...
!