Computer takes time just to power on

mol666

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I have a Dell Studio XPS 435 MT and recently it started to have this weird behavior:

I turn on the no break and I can't turn on the computer, until 5 or 10 minutes later, it starts as normal and gives no problem. If I keep the no break turned on I can turn off and on the computer without delay.

The green light from the PSU is on at the moment to turn on the no break, but the CPU will not start until a few minutes.

I'm thinking I have to buy a new PSU, but I don't want to spend the money if that's not the problem. Also, I'm not sure what kind of PSU I have to buy, because the actual one has all the specs in Chinese (thank you Dell). On the online documents it says this model uses a 360W PSU.

I use my computer to do video post production. Intel Core i7, 20GB RAM, two HDD in RAID 0 and one HDD with the system. I often use external disks connected to the SATA, Firewire or USB 2 ports to backup or data transfer (don't work directly form them).

Thanks for any help or suggestions on changing my PSU (if that's the problem)

It seems to me that the problem is this "no break" setting that is being used and there is either a confilct with it or a corrupted file. The psu is not a problem unless it is causing random freezes and shut downs , if your not getting any of those situations then it's a good chance that the psu is fine.
What happens if you turn off the "no break" ?

mol666

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I already tested without the UPS and in different places of the house and it still takes several minutes until the power button responds and the computer starts. Yet, the led signal in the PSU is green.