Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 14, 2012 2:43:14 AM

Hello everybody,
My laptop just died, and I'm now looking for a new gaming computer for a 600$ max budget, and buying it as soon as possible! (I’m in Canada)
I don't need super graphic effects, just enough to play! I’ll also use it for surfing and watching videos (no blue ray quality needed)
I have already a screen, a mouse and a HDD (the question about this one comes after).

So I looked everywhere for advices, and I wanted you to let me know your thoughts about that config:
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
graphic card: HIS H675F1GD Radeon HD 6750
memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL (B3) LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155
CPU fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Overclocking : yes if it can really increase the performance on such a configuration.
And I have two questions, can I use the HDD of my dead laptop in the desktop one? And what PSU shall I use for that configuration?

I thank you in advance for paying attention to that post!

More about : computer advices

April 14, 2012 3:03:46 AM

What about OS, do you have a 64bit retail version of Windows?

The motherboard you got is way to powerful for your budget. Take a z68 extreme 3 or even cheaper an h67 board instead and invest the difference in getting an i3.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Yes you can reuse the HDD if its not broken.

You can't overclock with CPU that is non "k" version (ie any pentium and i3). The aftermarket cooler might not necessary have a place in a budget build, the money would be better spent on improving graphic card at the moment.
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 3:18:25 AM

I would take a Phenom II build over a Pentium Q620. It kills it badly.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/406?vs=102

Also, a 6750 is a pretty weak video card.

Lets try this:

Storm Scout case: $79

CPU- Phenom II 965 $120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU cooler- 212 Hyper- $26 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: Asrock970- $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: 8GB 2x4GB- $54 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics card: 6850 $150 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power Supply: Corsair CX500 $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $569 Much better system than a Pentium build, but you still need Windows. Hopefully you're a college student and get a copy for free through Microsoft Academic Alliance.

You even have enough left over to step up to an even stronger video card in this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2012 3:33:20 AM

Ok thank you for the responses.
I already have my version of Windows 7! I just need a good config for the few I have to spend for a gaming PC.
500W isn't that too much nekulturny?
m
l
April 14, 2012 3:35:37 AM

And the only broken part of my laptop is the integrated graphics component. Black screen issue... But every thing else is working well.
Also, in newegg.ca your list makes 650$ :s
m
l
April 14, 2012 3:44:01 AM

get56 said:
Ok thank you for the responses.
I already have my version of Windows 7! I just need a good config for the few I have to spend for a gaming PC.
500W isn't that too much nekulturny?

It is a little bit more than you need, but its not a bad idea to get more than you need. And less wattage PSUs on the market today aren't much cheaper, and in many cases substantially lower in quality. You could go with an i3 build like the other fellow suggested, but both perform and cost about the same. I'm more a fan of a true quad core CPU, an i3 is a dual core, but like I said, they perform about the same.

The i3 is slightly better for gaming on some occasions, but Phenom IIs are both overclockable and even stock to stock, the Phenom II does better at daily PC use. Its a better choice for a balanced system if a Core i5 is not in the budget. An i3-2100 cannot be overclocked, so its really not fair for me to compare an overclocked Phenom II to a core i3, so I wont *go there*.

Heres a compare of the i3-2100 vs 965 at stock speeds:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=102

The long and short of it is, like I said, a balanced system prefers a true quad core.

A Pentium is an awful choice though, why settle for like you said "just enough to play", when you don't have to settle for min settings with your budget?
m
l
April 14, 2012 3:54:15 AM

Ok I see the difference now.
641,93$ for your entire list on newegg.ca :/ 
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:02:57 AM

get56 said:
Ok I see the difference now.
641,93$ for your entire list on newegg.ca :/ 

You can drop the CPU cooler for now, you can't get much of an overclock on the fan that comes with the Phenom II, that will trim up 35 bucks off the budget. Close enough for you?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 4:07:32 AM

I would

1) get a cheaper case
2) forget the cpu cooler
3) get a better graphics card (atleast a HD 6870 w/ the money saved from the above)
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:16:06 AM

Thank you a lot for your help! So will I have better buy it later (when the cash will come) to protect the system? Or the scout case fans will be enough for that CPU?
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:18:58 AM

get56 said:
Thank you a lot for your help! So will I have better buy it later (when the cash will come) to protect the system? Or the scout case fans will be enough for that CPU?

The Phenom II comes with a fan as long as its not the "OEM" labeled one, the one I linked to you comes with the CPU and fan. Its sufficient for stock speeds on the CPU but they don't do very well for overclocking, they get too hot. But you ALWAYS need a heatsink/fan assembly on the CPU don't ever turn on a computer without it.

A CPU so I've heard is capable of producing enough heat for a small house to be warm, and they will destroy themselves every quickly if you run it without a heatsink/fan assembly.
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:19:21 AM

Indeed, I can get a cheaper case, but the thing is I was pretty amazed by the USB ports on the top of this one and the size which lets me the possibility to upgrade the computer later!
Actually, saving 40$ on the case would give me enough for the CPU fan.
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:28:06 AM

get56 said:
Indeed, I can get a cheaper case, but the thing is I was pretty amazed by the USB ports on the top of this one and the size which lets me the possibility to upgrade the computer later!
Actually, saving 40$ on the case would give me enough for the CPU fan.

Yea, but you want to be careful with those cheap cases..some of them really suck.. and even further some of them wont fit the big CPU cooler.
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:42:35 AM

True that! But with the actual motherboard you recommended me, will I have any issue with the compatibility, I mean is there enough plugs for the 3 fans of the case and the ports?
m
l
April 14, 2012 6:22:27 AM

get56 said:
True that! But with the actual motherboard you recommended me, will I have any issue with the compatibility, I mean is there enough plugs for the 3 fans of the case and the ports?

Depends on the case. Some use molex passthru connectors, and some use fan headers for the case fans. Show me a case and I'll let you know, worst case scenario, there are adapters available. The CoolerMaster Scout I think uses molex passthrus, so should be fine.
m
l
April 14, 2012 3:14:00 PM

I checked Newegg to see what they have, and I found that:
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
This one has 3 fans, is a bit smaller but is way cheaper. Does the cooler master CPU fan and the ASRock 970 fit in it?
I made some researches for the Scout ( http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... ) and I know the fans fits, but I don't know nether for the motherboard compatibility on this one.
m
l
April 15, 2012 12:32:19 AM

Both of the cases support both ATX and MicroATX form factor motherboards. So yes, the motherboard will fit.

And yes, the coolermaster CPU fan should fit.
m
l
April 15, 2012 12:41:45 AM

get56 said:
Hello everybody,
My laptop just died, and I'm now looking for a new gaming computer for a 600$ max budget, and buying it as soon as possible! (I’m in Canada)
I don't need super graphic effects, just enough to play! I’ll also use it for surfing and watching videos (no blue ray quality needed)
I have already a screen, a mouse and a HDD (the question about this one comes after).

So I looked everywhere for advices, and I wanted you to let me know your thoughts about that config:
Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
graphic card: HIS H675F1GD Radeon HD 6750
memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL (B3) LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155
CPU fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Overclocking : yes if it can really increase the performance on such a configuration.
And I have two questions, can I use the HDD of my dead laptop in the desktop one? And what PSU shall I use for that configuration?

I thank you in advance for paying attention to that post!

throw the pentium down, get the 2400 or 2500. they are much better.
m
l
April 15, 2012 3:38:42 AM

andrey64 said:
throw the pentium down, get the 2400 or 2500. they are much better.

I'm actually now about to follow nekulturny advice and go for a phenom II.
m
l
April 15, 2012 9:25:32 AM

phenom II has nothing on the sandy bridge processors. even with your budget you can get a better processor.

drop the hyper 212, and downgrade your motherboard. get the 2400 or even the 2500k(regular 2500 is a beast also)

also try going with the g skill 1600 ram. priced about same
m
l
April 15, 2012 9:29:13 AM

andrey64 said:
phenom II has nothing on the sandy bridge processors. even with your budget you can get a better processor.

drop the hyper 212, and downgrade your motherboard. get the 2400 or even the 2500k(regular 2500 is a beast also)

also try going with the g skill 1600 ram. priced about same

LOL, fanboy, drop the crap. 2400 costs 190 bucks...My significant other has a 2400 in his rig, it does everything my cheaper Phenom II does, and *cough* not much more. I own both a Phenom II and an i5, do you?

Downgrade from an 80 dollar motherboard? Seriously? Just what hunk of crap would you suggest to bootstrap onto a high quality processor and video card? A mobo with lower production quality control, cheaper quality mosfets and capacitors?

Honestly, the fanboy stuff gets annoying. Recommend products that meet peoples needs in their budget and check your personal opinions at the door.

BTW: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/363?vs=362

Funny, I think a $120 CPU is doing just fine with "having something on" one that costs $190.

Sorry if you think I'm being a jerk. If you have a build in mind that can meet the persons budget, give it a try.
m
l
April 15, 2012 1:11:05 PM

I'm going to get my ducks in a row, and save this to a text document just so I can copy and paste it, because this keeps coming up in so many threads.

I'm not trying to have this Intel V. AMD war.

Here are facts that I am not disputing:

1. Intel is ahead of AMD in the market, I'm not disputing it, and given that I have recommended dozens of builds in these forums, both Intel and AMD based depending on the users needs, budget and preferences, I resent any implication that I am biased, yes I prefer AMD for my own systems, I have my reasons.. Its not a question of which is better, its a question of "which one will do what I need it to do and what is the price?"

2. The i5 2500k is a better CPU than any Phenom II model ever produced, be it Thuban, Deneb, Heka, etc. i5-2500K also substantially more expensive than almost all of them. By substantial, for the purpose of a 600 dollar budget build, in this case from Newegg.ca, the price difference is over 100 dollars.

On these forums, in this thread, somebody is about to make a financial investment, of real money, several hundred dollars, in some cases, thousands. These people are giving us a certain budget to find out what can meet their needs as a consumer. They give us their expected returns for their investment.

Now certainly we can give bad advice at times, and ultimately we can't be held responsible legally just because some stranger on the internet listened to you and they were unhappy with something they bought with your recommendation. However, morally and ethically, thats something you might want to keep in mind.

Its easy to say that there is "one size fits all", but this simply isn't the case. The OP in this situation is asking for a respectable computer on a 600 dollar budget. I think I've managed to do so, today it was based on an AMD CPU.

The problem is, when people come into threads half-cocked, have no real appreciation of the many factors that go into picking components that complement each other which form to make a well-balanced system (video cards, motherboards, RAM, CPUs, HDDs etc) who have strong opinions in favor of one product, and offer nothing but rhetoric, exaggerated statistics and no perspective of what benchmark charts translate to in terms of practical application to an End-User.
This kind of posting only serves to confuse a person looking for help and do a diservice to a website such as TomShare which generally is considered a respectable source of technology information.

Take a moment to consider it.
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:30:58 PM

Don't worry nekulturny, just by checking the time someone spend on a conversation, his rank and his way of speaking, I can judge how pertinent is his post. And I know it's not a service I'm paying for, I truly appreciate your advice and I am much obliged to your kindness!
With that said, if I have bad informations or if I make a bad investment, I will be the only one to blame.
m
l
April 19, 2012 6:41:11 AM

I actually do have both processors.
I currently own the :
955 BE
1090T

All the processors do the exact same thing. There is zero difference in the processors from doing daily tasks. When it comes down to temperatures and performances the INTEL's shine much more than AMD's. I am not a fan boy . i own the AMD's and actually prefer them more because they are MUCH cheaper. but price for performance the intels and much more reliable and better. My 955 is OC'd to 3.8ghz and its running hotter than my 2500k at 4.5ghz.

Get56 please don't start conversations saying my rank and way of speaking. that has nothing to do with my knowledge. your rank is below mine and i don't attack you on that point. just because i barely started my account doesn't mean my knowledge is at the same level.
m
l
April 19, 2012 2:40:38 PM

Well, at 4.0ghz (from 3.6 stock) on my 975 I hit 58c under load of prime95. What do you consider "hot"? Maximum safe temp is 62c for Phenom IIs and realistically, they could handle 70c just fine.

As far as the performance difference, almost all game benchmarks for the more expensive 2400 (which cannot be overclocked) and the 965 at 3.7GHZ perform the same. Take the Far Cry 2 benchmark, there is zero difference to the human eye between 55FPS and 60. Sure the 2400 shows it doing 75FPS, problem is it could be sending over 9000FPS, but your computer monitor can only display 60.

Why spend the extra money if you have a tight budget? As far as going cheaper than 80 on an Intel motherboard, you're getting into H61 territory, deadend chipset with less features.
m
l
!