Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Update: Intel Build or AMD Build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 14, 2012 2:43:48 AM

This is an update on the question I asked earlier, an Intel build or AMD build.
After deciding not to blow over $1,000 on a good gaming PC I decided that a modest amount under $900 (that does included S/H in the budget)
I came up with these,

Intel build- http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

AMD build- http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

also, when the Ivy Bridge version of an i3 2120 comes out, i'll get one.
And, will the PSU in the AMD build be enough? Should I get a bigger one?

But the same question I asked earlier, which is better for gaming and other general use?

I plan on playing newer titles such as BF3 and later titles released this year.
Also so older titles such as, DoD:S, CS:S, TF2, and games from a few years ago.
And a good amount of WoW.

I want to play games though on ultra settings above 50 fps.

So i'm going to redirect you to my question now.

Tips and other help would be great to!

Thanks everyone!
April 14, 2012 2:58:03 AM

I would see if you can upgrade to the i5 2550 or 2500k processor without going below 1000. But I would get a better power supply, IMO for either build.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 6:05:39 AM

BF3 multiplayer uses multiple cores. The dual core i3 has reportedly had problem handling larger games (40+ players). Also people who have played diablo 3 beta have said that the game uses 4 cores. It seems more and more games utilize more than 2 cores.

I would try to fit in an i5 into the build. If not, i would go with the phenom ii quad core since it can also be overclocked.

Also, that power supply should be sufficient. you can put your exact specs into this power supply calculator.
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 6:30:13 AM

I agree with clutz about the power supply...you could probably get a TX650w from newegg for around the same price as that seasonic I think. As for CPU....hard to decide. I'm not sure how well the i5-2310 will fair against the BE Phenom, especially since the Phenom can be overclocked.

But again, I agree with clutz, see if you can fit in a 2500k into your build/budget :)  that would be the best/smartest thing to do.
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 9:46:53 AM

For $900 you can easily get a setup that will run BF3 with an i5 cpu

If you can't drive to a www.microcenter.com then this is what I would recommend.

Since it doesn't look like you are overclocking we can leave out a cpu cooler/K series chip.


http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2286/2421555.png

(I used my area code just to show taxes total)

$17 over the $900 budget but well worth it imo.

Leaves you with the ability to add another card to crossfire so you can max out BF3 :)  (yes the psu is enough power, but it only comes with 2x6+2 pci cables so you will possibly need to use the adapters the gpu cards come with for crossfiring.)

Also you can add a SSD later on like the Crucial M4 64GB for $79.99 later to run your OS/a couple of games/heavy apps.

The combo deal comes with a Malwarebytes Antimalware lifetime license which is a wonderful product to have to keep your pc clean and secure along with your other AV programs. So basically the extra $17 you are paying is for the free software lol which is worth it imo as well you get a free copy of Dirt 3, a $30 mail in rebate on the graphics card, and a lifetime warranty on the gpu as well so in the future you could get them to upgrade it to one of the newer series once the card starts to die/something goes wrong.

If this doesn't appeal to you let me know what you would like to see changed.
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 6:33:50 PM

akamrcrack said:
For $900 you can easily get a setup that will run BF3 with an i5 cpu

If you can't drive to a www.microcenter.com then this is what I would recommend.

Since it doesn't look like you are overclocking we can leave out a cpu cooler/K series chip.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2286/2421555.png
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2286/2421555.png

(I used my area code just to show taxes total)

$17 over the $900 budget but well worth it imo.

Leaves you with the ability to add another card to crossfire so you can max out BF3 :)  (yes the psu is enough power, but it only comes with 2x6+2 pci cables so you will possibly need to use the adapters the gpu cards come with for crossfiring.)

Also you can add a SSD later on like the Crucial M4 64GB for $79.99 later to run your OS/a couple of games/heavy apps.

The combo deal comes with a Malwarebytes Antimalware lifetime license which is a wonderful product to have to keep your pc clean and secure along with your other AV programs. So basically the extra $17 you are paying is for the free software lol which is worth it imo as well you get a free copy of Dirt 3, a $30 mail in rebate on the graphics card, and a lifetime warranty on the gpu as well so in the future you could get them to upgrade it to one of the newer series once the card starts to die/something goes wrong.

If this doesn't appeal to you let me know what you would like to see changed.

Mwuaha! I have got it! I got an i5 2500k build with a Radeon 6870 in there for under $900! Lot of corner cutting though but otherwise, I got it!
Here it is- http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
I will learn how to overclock and buy an aftermarket fan.
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 6:52:21 PM

You could do a lot better.

Check out my $850 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
You get the i5 2500K, ability to get PCI 3.0 if you upgrade to Sandy, Crossfire/SLI at 8x/8x, a 7850 and a 750w that will allow CF/SLI in the future.
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 7:06:38 PM

aznshinobi said:
You could do a lot better.

Check out my $850 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
You get the i5 2500K, ability to get PCI 3.0 if you upgrade to Sandy, Crossfire/SLI at 8x/8x, a 7850 and a 750w that will allow CF/SLI in the future.


But you are missing the OS and a CD/DVD ROM in there... the OS is a drop of another $100 just OEM... the ROM is no big deal but it is another $15-$30 depending on how much you spend on one.
Also, my motherboard does have the PCI 3.0 ability too, it is a Z77, the newest Intel motherboards out. Not to be rude, the 750w PSU is kind of overkill. I'm using the 6870 and that uses abit more power than a 7850, and a good 600 watt PSU could carry everything nicely. Sure the Radeon 7850 is nicer, but it costs alot more. I think I did well for what I managed.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
April 14, 2012 7:10:59 PM

My "rules of thumb" ... wich has held for a few years

System Cost < $800, use AMD CPU
System Cost > $800, use Intel CPU


GPU Cost < $200, use AMD GPU
GPU Cost > $200, use nVidia GPU
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 7:16:20 PM

Ahh I didn't know you didn't have OS.
And just to clarify. The Z77 board you chose does have PCI 3.0, but only runs 2 cards at 16x/4x rather than 8x/8x not a huge deal just wanted to point it out.

Also with your budget, I was assuming you wanted to CF/SLI as well as overclock which is the justification for the 750w in my build.

Good work with the build. Just a slight suggestion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
People say bad things about Galaxy but reviews point to it being a pretty solid 560 Ti. Anyway, the 560 Ti is only $20 more but you actually get a large performance boost. But it's up to you.
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 7:25:54 PM

aznshinobi said:
Ahh I didn't know you didn't have OS.
And just to clarify. The Z77 board you chose does have PCI 3.0, but only runs 2 cards at 16x/4x rather than 8x/8x not a huge deal just wanted to point it out.

Also with your budget, I was assuming you wanted to CF/SLI as well as overclock which is the justification for the 750w in my build.

Good work with the build. Just a slight suggestion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
People say bad things about Galaxy but reviews point to it being a pretty solid 560 Ti. Anyway, the 560 Ti is only $20 more but you actually get a large performance boost. But it's up to you.


Oh trust me, the build sets you had were very nice.
I probably will CF/SLI later down the road, but thats when I can get a Radeon 7xxx or a NVidia 6xx because they won't eat a ton of power.
This build is really just kind of a temp build for now, I do want an Intel IB later, and they won't eat a ton of power either.
OC'ing a CPU does take more power, but not a whole ton from what i've read.
I would take that Galaxy 560 Ti, but as mentioned before, this I just a good temp build to do what I want, so the Radeon 6870 would be more than enough for a good price.
Thanks for pointing that out for my motherboard! I wouldn't have known since I am a first time builder.
And no worries about the OS thing, we're all cool!
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 91 B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 7:34:44 PM

It doesn't honestly haha. (Power consumption meaning) In all honesty 650w would probably be enough as that's what AMD even says would be enough for CF 7850.

Overclocking doesn't take up a lot of power but it depends on how high you want to overclock. From what coretemp tells me I only use 100w on load with a 4.6ghz overclock on the i5 2500K. As for the 7xxx overclock I don't exactly know. Haha I know the 5850 took a lot of power to get to 1ghz and equal the 5870 but not sure about the 7850/7870.

And I see. Perhaps go for the i5 3750K when it comes out. The price should be the same as the i5 2500K if not very close.
Share
April 14, 2012 7:45:12 PM

aznshinobi said:
It doesn't honestly haha. (Power consumption meaning) In all honesty 650w would probably be enough as that's what AMD even says would be enough for CF 7850.

Overclocking doesn't take up a lot of power but it depends on how high you want to overclock. From what coretemp tells me I only use 100w on load with a 4.6ghz overclock on the i5 2500K. As for the 7xxx overclock I don't exactly know. Haha I know the 5850 took a lot of power to get to 1ghz and equal the 5870 but not sure about the 7850/7870.

And I see. Perhaps go for the i5 3750K when it comes out. The price should be the same as the i5 2500K if not very close.


Oh yeah, I mean, the "recommended watts" is usually just a door stopper. 750W is just gravy after a good OC and XFired/SLI cards.
650W is even good enough too. Oh and I think you got your #'s off, I think its the IB i5 3570k :p  and it'll be like $220 with HD 4000.
And I have no knowledge of OCing vid cards, so that'll be something new just like CPU OCing lmao.
So I don't expect to OC to high.
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 8:09:47 PM

Oh woops, mistype.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-3...
Odd, 77w TDP. Never thought I'd see the day where they did numbers like that for TDP. Well not until a lot later at least.

Um It's pretty much the same. MSI Afterburner is a solid program for GPU overclock. All you really do is move bars in Windows 7 to get the right settings then hit apply. Easier than CPU overclocking in fact.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b À AMD
April 14, 2012 9:58:37 PM


A build with an HD 7850, regardless of processor, will slobber-knock a build with the HD6870 in BF3.

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b å Intel
April 14, 2012 10:09:52 PM

Not a gamer, But there was a post awhile back on x16/x16 vs x8/x8 and x16/x4. If I remember correct Slight drop when comparing x16/x16 to x8/x8, but a rather big drop going x8/x8 -> x16/x4. I'm quessing that adding that 2nd GPU is only going to provide a small bump and would be better to Go with a Higher end card when the time comes to upgrade.
So Yes you can get "quad Xfire" as advertized, They just omit on how well if performs.

As to Power, My system 350 Watts at the wall.
= i5-2500k @ 4.2, w/6870 gou, 16 gigs ram, 2 SSds, one HDD, and one Blu-ray burner.
This comes very close to the Power consumption I've seen in a couple of reviews.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2012 11:15:07 PM

Serrix said:
Mwuaha! I have got it! I got an i5 2500k build with a Radeon 6870 in there for under $900! Lot of corner cutting though but otherwise, I got it!
Here it is- http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
I will learn how to overclock and buy an aftermarket fan.


thats a really expensive 6870. For $190 you can get a gtx 560 ti

here is a 6870 for $40 less
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 12:18:58 AM

To be honest, I think OP would be better off waiting for the new IB cpus to release and as well save up extra money in the meantime.

Mainly because $1200 is like the sweet spot for gg rigs.

at 900 you have to make several sacrifices that really limit what you can do in some areas/expand in others.

Just a thought :) 


@ OP what do you have picked out so far?
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 12:36:48 AM

akamrcrack said:
To be honest, I think OP would be better off waiting for the new IB cpus to release and as well save up extra money in the meantime.

Mainly because $1200 is like the sweet spot for gg rigs.

at 900 you have to make several sacrifices that really limit what you can do in some areas/expand in others.

Just a thought :) 


@ OP what do you have picked out so far?

So far, this is what i've got put together,

-http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

And you are correct, I am waiting for the IB 3570k.
Also, this is kind of a good temp build.
That Radeon 6870 will do exactly what I want for now, later down the road i'll get a really good Radeon 7xxx or NVidia 6xx.
And i'll get an extra and bigger Hard drive and probably an SSD in the future.
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 2:04:01 AM

I think you have a typo or you're being sarcastic.

In reality.

560 Ti > GTX 560 > 6870 > 6850 >= 460 > 6790 > 550 Ti >= 5770/6770
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 2:15:36 AM

aznshinobi said:
I think you have a typo or you're being sarcastic.

In reality.

560 Ti > GTX 560 > 6870 > 6850 >= 460 > 6790 > 550 Ti >= 5770/6770


Matter of opinion. I shoulda have said 6870 OC'd = 560ti
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 2:23:23 AM

Lol not a matter of opinion. The benchmarks prove:
560 Ti > GTX 560 > 6870 > 6850 >= 460 > 6790 > 550 Ti >= 5770/6770

Also if you bring OCing into the mix, then the 460 is better than the 6850 and the 560 Ti is equivalent to the GTX 570. A 560 Ti is easier to overclock to the 570 as opposed to the 6870 to a 560 Ti's performance.
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 2:25:30 AM

OPINIONS MATTER

like what games you play with said cards matter

U silly azn
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 2:30:40 AM

Again not sure if you're being sarcastic. But again.

GTX 560 vs 6870
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=543
Maybe a few benches the 6870 wins out, but the majority in fact all of the ones passed the top few have the GTX 560 winning by a slight or large margin. Temps are also lower @ Idle and Load for the 560.

Overclock 460
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
You're correct in this part, overclocking is varied in games but at max overclocks the 460 performs better, generally, than a max overclocked 6850.

The 6870 is a solid mid range card though. After overclocking @ $150 it's a solid buy no doubt. I'm just saying that's how performance lays out though.
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 3:04:46 AM

aznshinobi said:
Again not sure if you're being sarcastic. But again.

GTX 560 vs 6870
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=543
Maybe a few benches the 6870 wins out, but the majority in fact all of the ones passed the top few have the GTX 560 winning by a slight or large margin. Temps are also lower @ Idle and Load for the 560.

Overclock 460
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
You're correct in this part, overclocking is varied in games but at max overclocks the 460 performs better, generally, than a max overclocked 6850.

The 6870 is a solid mid range card though. After overclocking @ $150 it's a solid buy no doubt. I'm just saying that's how performance lays out though.


Fine I throw in towel
m
0
l
April 16, 2012 3:26:12 AM

Best answer selected by Serrix.
m
0
l
October 19, 2012 5:19:07 AM

I have 1400 dlls to build a pc i needed to make renders, blueprintes, use autocad, revit,artlantis and oviosly playing need evefyfhing excep the OS can some one vive me advice im planing to make the purchase on compusa thanks
m
0
l
!