Ed Kish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Yes, I'm a dummy when it comes to all these changes, especially since I don't live and breathe computers. I have an HDMI compatible monitor and VGA compatible monitors from days past. What is a DVI and why would I want one since I can't really tell the difference between High Definition and standard TV broadcasts? With macular degeneration sneaking up on me I don't see that well. I got a Mac Book Air for my wife and if I am going to see anything at all on the screen I need to adapt it to a monitor I have, which most likely will be a good but old VGA.

Solution

DVI also supports HDCP

The major differences are that HDMI can carry audio on the same cable while DVI supports resolutions ABOVE 1080p
Welcome to Toms!

Don't worry about being a "dummy" about something. I can't fix a truck for the life of me - but i don't consider myself a "dummy".

DVI - Digital Video interface. It is completely digital.

VGA - Video graphics array - analog connection.

Basically DVI and HDMI - are similar, except HDMI also has HDCP - which stands for High definition content protection which allows for playing of blu ray movies via an HDMI device.

If you have macular degeneration - you might not notice the difference betwen VGA and HDMI/DVI, but HDMI and DVI being completely digital - allows for less display distortion. HDMI and DVI connections bring crystal clear pictures to your display device.

PrvtChurch

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

DVI also supports HDCP

The major differences are that HDMI can carry audio on the same cable while DVI supports resolutions ABOVE 1080p

Solution

bbiandov

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

n
nCan someone also mention about Ethernet via HDMI? Is it just an additional pairs integrated into the HDMI cable?
n
nIf that is NOT the case then is the HDMI protocol itself augmented for Ethernet?
n
nIf the Ethernet has nothing to do with the HDMI protocol and its simply cable bundle then what pins are used for the Ethernet RX and TX pairs inside the HDMI cable?
n
nThanks