Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics Card Question on situation

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 6, 2012 3:04:55 PM

Greetings

First should preface saying i went over this topic before, but lost the thread..

I have a quad core Q9550 2.8 ghz system that I was running 2x Geforce 9800GTX+ cards on with 4 gigs of ram

1 appears to have gone out since the computer will not boot and shows nothing on screen when 1 particular card is solo or ran in sli

i play mmo's and do not want to run just one 9800GTX+ so was thinking with my system if i was better just finding another 9800GTX+ and running sli again or getting a 550Ti for $120...

or springing for the 560 because I hear it is so much better than the 550Ti

although will my quad core bottle neck it and not be so good

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:41:40 PM

what is your psu? maybe the psu caused the second 9800gtx+ to "go out"?

if you can go for 560 go, it is much better than 550ti.

i don't think q9550 will bottleneck560/550ti, certainly the performance increase will be much higher than just adding another 9800gtx+;
February 6, 2012 3:48:39 PM

ricardois said:
what is your psu? maybe the psu caused the second 9800gtx+ to "go out"?

if you can go for 560 go, it is much better than 550ti.

i don't think q9550 will bottleneck560/550ti, certainly the performance increase will be much higher than just adding another 9800gtx+;

i thought possibly the psu, but i swapped it out last july for a Corsair 750 enthusiast..

im pretty sure it has to be the card because the computer wouldnt boot with card #2 in any slot, but the computer booted with card #1 in any slot

when i looked at futuremark tests the 550ti performed slightly worse than 2 x 9800gtx+ which surprised me, but depending on configuration 550ti was pretty close and i guess cheaper on power consumption as opposed to those other two combined
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:55:42 PM

I'd wait a bit on doing anything. Prices are going to drop when Kepler comes out, and you'll probably be able to pick up a slightly better card for the same cost.

That said, I'd recommend a newer card over running a pair of really old ones in SLI. The SLI setup will need more power, you'll get micro stuttering and they don't support any of the newer technologies like DX11.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:56:06 PM

angry12345 said:
i thought possibly the psu, but i swapped it out last july for a Corsair 750 enthusiast..

im pretty sure it has to be the card because the computer wouldnt boot with card #2 in any slot, but the computer booted with card #1 in any slot

when i looked at futuremark tests the 550ti performed slightly worse than 2 x 9800gtx+ which surprised me, but depending on configuration 550ti was pretty close and i guess cheaper on power consumption as opposed to those other two combined

hm, yes 550ti is good, but yes on specific games you may get better performance with 2 9800 (also be aware that you didn't had dx11 and with 550ti you will have it, so this will consume even more fps)

and yes, it is good to work on only one card, 2 cards always require more of power, and normally they are too close doing both heat even more;

like i said before, if you can go for 560, go for it, otherwise 550ti is ok...
Score
February 6, 2012 4:00:57 PM

willard said:
I'd wait a bit on doing anything. Prices are going to drop when Kepler comes out, and you'll probably be able to pick up a slightly better card for the same cost.

That said, I'd recommend a newer card over running a pair of really old ones in SLI. The SLI setup will need more power, you'll get micro stuttering and they don't support any of the newer technologies like DX11.

my other problem is just threw my cash on a new ipad 2 and iphon 4s for my wife.. so my tech money for time being is spent..

i had been planning on building a new comp in november giving enough time for all the cards and products to adapt to Windows 8. Current computer had a mobo that was out 1.5 years and then stopped support when Windows 7 came out and frustrated me greatly.

By then I was thinking about going for a more robust budget of $300 for a card and some i5 maximus or something with some gskillz etc..

Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 4:13:57 PM

ha bit confused and excited at the same time huh?. Well if you can hold out a little longer once Ivy bridge is out. SB may drop in price and you could snatch up a good deal on a I7. SOme Gskill ram sounds nice. I prefer Either Corsair or Kingston but Gskill is still in my tops. A GTX 560 ti will do nicely. shoot by the time all the kepler cards are out you may even be able to snatch up a 570. but i would wait for kepler. cause most of the kepler cards are double the cuda cores they're predecssor's have
Score
February 6, 2012 4:27:25 PM

Hello,

I have a Galaxy 550Ti. It is a single slot edition, due to the lack of my space in my Dell BTX case. I do no believe the 560 has a single slot model, so possibly in the future if you consider SLI again for the 550 or 560, that will be something to keep in mind. I have noticed with Galaxy's 550ti, the fan is HUGE and spreads heat quickly. I mostly play BF3 and my max temps are about 64c w/ every setting topped off. Just be a bit weary of Newegg right now, for some reason they have their pictures of the cards all messed up. Best way to find the card design/layout you like is to pick a manufacter and match the MODEL NUMBER on Newegg (if that is who you prefer).

The 550ti is great, runs SWTOR, WoW, and and DC Universe maxed out with a Quad-Core processor similar to yours. As mentioned previously, the prices should be going down. I also noticed March/Spring sales. The 560 is better, surely, but the prices will probably continue to have the same spread.

Also, leave the 9800 hanging around, it will make a nice dedicated PhysX card. with the 550ti you'll see about a 3-7% percent increase, and the 560ti/560, you'll see 4-10%.

Stay thirsty my friend.
Score
February 6, 2012 4:48:27 PM

Rockdpm said:
ha bit confused and excited at the same time huh?. Well if you can hold out a little longer once Ivy bridge is out. SB may drop in price and you could snatch up a good deal on a I7. SOme Gskill ram sounds nice. I prefer Either Corsair or Kingston but Gskill is still in my tops. A GTX 560 ti will do nicely. shoot by the time all the kepler cards are out you may even be able to snatch up a 570. but i would wait for kepler. cause most of the kepler cards are double the cuda cores they're predecssor's have

sounds like in meantime get a 560 and then in november get a kepler which probably will have one around $300. i was kind of going with i5 over the i7 because i play mmos which are not going to utilize the hyperthreading really so put that cash towards better vid card. i prefer the corsair over the gskills but their high end ram is about half of what dominator is and i dont know there is that much difference.

in the meantime though running just one 9800 gtx isnt cutting it..

btw.. do i need to change the drivers going from a 9800 to a 560? seems like on nvidia site they use the same drivers
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 4:55:41 PM

angry12345 said:
sounds like in meantime get a 560 and then in november get a kepler which probably will have one around $300. i was kind of going with i5 over the i7 because i play mmos which are not going to utilize the hyperthreading really so put that cash towards better vid card. i prefer the corsair over the gskills but their high end ram is about half of what dominator is and i dont know there is that much difference.

in the meantime though running just one 9800 gtx isnt cutting it..

btw.. do i need to change the drivers going from a 9800 to a 560? seems like on nvidia site they use the same drivers

yes same drivers, but i would do a reinstall just to be sure;
Score
February 6, 2012 5:45:35 PM

ricardois said:
yes same drivers, but i would do a reinstall just to be sure;

anyone recommend a good driver cleaner.. i know nvidia says to overinstall now, but still not fan of idea. also, why is it i cannot uninstall my display drivers from control panel? its just not there, but i know they are installed

finally.. if i wanted to keep the 9800 gtx for a physx card.. how do i set it up?

i know that i have to set the software to do it which is easy.. but do i bridge the two cards like an sli set up?

i didnt think that the two cards being different could be set up into an sli set up since one would be a 9800 gtx and the other a gtx 560 or gtx 550ti
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2012 9:06:34 AM

angry12345 said:
anyone recommend a good driver cleaner.. i know nvidia says to overinstall now, but still not fan of idea. also, why is it i cannot uninstall my display drivers from control panel? its just not there, but i know they are installed

finally.. if i wanted to keep the 9800 gtx for a physx card.. how do i set it up?

i know that i have to set the software to do it which is easy.. but do i bridge the two cards like an sli set up?

i didnt think that the two cards being different could be set up into an sli set up since one would be a 9800 gtx and the other a gtx 560 or gtx 550ti

first of all, yes just overinstall nvidia drivers are ok;

second to dedicate to physx you must add the 9800 in the second pci-e slot WITHOUT SLI BRIDGE and later in nvidia panel you go to Physx configurations and there you can set the load to a specific hardware in your case you will see (560, 9800,cpu) so choose 9800 and it will be dedicated, check if the performace really will worth the power and heat generatted;
Score
February 7, 2012 2:27:27 PM

ricardois said:
first of all, yes just overinstall nvidia drivers are ok;

second to dedicate to physx you must add the 9800 in the second pci-e slot WITHOUT SLI BRIDGE and later in nvidia panel you go to Physx configurations and there you can set the load to a specific hardware in your case you will see (560, 9800,cpu) so choose 9800 and it will be dedicated, check if the performace really will worth the power and heat generatted;

ok that is how I thought it was set up, nice to see I was right about something lol. Yea, I decided against running a dedicated Physx and just saved card. I play mmos and none of them use Physx anyways so why bother

I went ahead with a GTX 560 installed and will test to see how it goes. If this has problems again, I will chalk it all up to my mobo Asus P5N-T. That board has been the flakiest thing since I have owned it..
Score
February 7, 2012 2:28:03 PM

Best answer selected by angry12345.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 7, 2012 2:37:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!