Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Resolution
  • CRT Monitors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 6, 2012 3:11:35 PM

I have a CRT monitor with the native maximum refresh rate of 85Hz (which causes me headaches). I can set it to 100Hz (perfect) only on desktop applications only (using that option that lets you choose frequencies that the monitor cannot display). The sad part is that in games the maximum available refresh rate is 85Hz (the maximum native res.). How can I overclock that native resolution so that games can recognise it?

More about : changing native resolution

a b Î Nvidia
February 7, 2012 12:06:40 AM

That's odd that a refresh rate as high as 85HZ would be bothersome on your CRT display. Most modern LCD monitors are maxed at only 59-60HZ. Usually 60HZ is not a problem. If you are bothered by it, however, I would suggest possibly moving to a 120HZ LCD display.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I don't know if the refresh rate on a CRT display can be increased...
Related resources
February 7, 2012 12:42:59 PM

Thanks matto17secs, I've only been using the Refresh Lock program and worked only in some games. I managed to make the rest of the games work with the Refresh Force program. I though I had to edit a .ini file but it turned out to be more simpler.
a c 468 Î Nvidia
February 7, 2012 3:23:26 PM

Excellent, I always had to use the Refresh Lock program when playing TFC on my old CRT monitor @ 100 hz. CRT monitors with higher refresh rates are still a very good option for gaming as they allow more frames per second to be displayed above the typical 60 hz LCD.
a b Î Nvidia
February 7, 2012 4:28:15 PM

usually the higher resolutions allow lower refresh rates
ie monitor can run 1280*1024@100Hz but 1600*1200@75 for example...
So if you lower the rez, does it allow you to set the refresh rate at 100?
a c 468 Î Nvidia
February 7, 2012 7:42:27 PM

Kari said:
usually the higher resolutions allow lower refresh rates
ie monitor can run 1280*1024@100Hz but 1600*1200@75 for example...
So if you lower the rez, does it allow you to set the refresh rate at 100?

You usually can't exceed the monitor's capabilities, so in your example, 75 hz would still be the upper limit for 1600 x 1200. Yes, lowering the resolution would be the only way to set a higher refresh rate.

The issue in this thread is that certain games force a refresh rate that is lower than the desktop rate. This results in a game screen that may be not fill the entire monitor and shows black bars around the edges. It may also cause visible flickering. With the popularity of LCD screens, games that force a 60 hz refresh rate would not be uncommon. It wouldn't look very good on a 100 hz CRT screen, however.
a b Î Nvidia
February 8, 2012 5:34:47 PM

17seconds said:
You usually can't exceed the monitor's capabilities, so in your example, 75 hz would still be the upper limit for 1600 x 1200. Yes, lowering the resolution would be the only way to set a higher refresh rate.

The issue in this thread is that certain games force a refresh rate that is lower than the desktop rate. This results in a game screen that may be not fill the entire monitor and shows black bars around the edges. It may also cause visible flickering. With the popularity of LCD screens, games that force a 60 hz refresh rate would not be uncommon. It wouldn't look very good on a 100 hz CRT screen, however.

from the op
"(using that option that lets you choose frequencies that the monitor cannot display) The sad part is that in games the maximum available refresh rate is 85Hz (the maximum native"
might be my reading comprehension then...
Obviously the games detects the maximum supported rate and uses that one, and not the forced, officially unsupported one, so lowering the rez might allow the use of a supported refresh rate of 100Hz. This is a bit of a guesswork since the op hasnt told us what monitor he has.

on a related note
I've had games that wanted to run my lcd at 75Hz since that is the max refresh rate that the monitor can officially run at, but since it looks worse than the 60Hz I've set in windows, I just set them at 60 in the settings in-game. 75 causes weird shimmering and makes the image look restless...

edit and typically with CRTs you need to calibrate the image for each refresh rate separately (so it fills the screen etc...) and at least mines remember the settings for each rate once it's been set up.
!