Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GeForce

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 6, 2012 3:33:09 PM

Hey guys I've been wondering lately why my mates say that GeForce cards are bad?

Is this even true?

More about : geforce

a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:45:43 PM

whats the point of this thread?

February 6, 2012 3:46:03 PM

No! Geforce cards are great. So are AMD cards. It depends what your price range is. Under $200 USD, AMD wins with the 6870, 6850 and lower end cards. 200-500 range is usually dominated by the Nvidia Geforce 560s, 570s and 580s. Above 450/500 goes back to AMD with the 7950/7970.

This is the trend i've been seeing lately. Both companies make awesome cards, it really all depends what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend.
Related resources
February 6, 2012 3:46:27 PM

genericname999 said:
Hey guys I've been wondering lately why my mates say that GeForce cards are bad?

Is this even true?

Where to even begin.....

GeForce cards are NOT bad.
For some uses an AMD card will beat out an Nvidia card (multi monitor) however each card has it's pro's and cons, and it is COMPLETELY wrong to say that GeForce cards are bad across the board.
February 6, 2012 3:48:26 PM

No, GeForce cards are not bad. They are actually pretty good. What one should do when looking at a video card, is compare it to the competition . ATI/Radeo tends to have better mid range cards for the price. But Nvidia has (had) the top dog in terms of performance.

ATI recently entered the 28nm generation, so their cards currently reign supreme in terms of performance. But kepler is on the way, and we have yet to see what Nvidia will have to offer with their 28nm cards.

When judging a card, I tend to look at 3 things

Performance per dollar
Energy Consumption
Noise

Hope that helps.
February 6, 2012 3:49:19 PM

Thanks guys! The reason I ask is because I'm building a new pc and was going to get a GeForce card, my friend then started saying that they were awfull...
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:50:52 PM

dont listen to your friend opinions that are based on their past product experience. go for what gives you most bang for the buck, either nvidia or amd whoever delives better product for the price range
February 6, 2012 3:52:28 PM

alvine said:
dont listen to your friend opinions that are based on their past product experience. go for what gives you most bang for the buck, either nvidia or amd whoever delives better product for the price range


The thing is he's never owned a GeForce card >:|
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:54:21 PM

lol, hopefully your friend didn't give you any other building advice like "You should get an FX chip... they are awesome!" lol
a c 228 U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 3:57:12 PM

genericname999 said:
Thanks guys! The reason I ask is because I'm building a new pc and was going to get a GeForce card, my friend then started saying that they were awfull...

Opinions are like bu%$holes. Everyone has one and they ALL stink!

Like the others in the thread have said. Look at your budget and what you want a GPU to do, then buy the Nvidia or AMD/ATI GPU of your choice. You really can't go wrong either way.

Good luck!
February 6, 2012 3:59:41 PM

CaedenV said:
lol, hopefully your friend didn't give you any other building advice like "You should get an FX chip... they are awesome!" lol


Dear God, I would have just walked away...
Anyway considering I haven't picked my mobo yet what GPU would you guys recommend for about £200?
!